Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

100" Grumman Goose <BEAUTIFUL>

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

100" Grumman Goose <BEAUTIFUL>

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 07:17 PM
lever02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 100

I like the idea of a foam wing and tail feathers also not interested in wheels...Just my 2 cents. It is your project and you should do as you see fit.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:31 PM
yamaharley

Hi,

Thanks for all the input. It's duly noted.

Power options these days are varied and plentiful. The only variables really is your budget, noise restrictions and what you feel comfortable with or what your needs are.

The kit can just be modified to customize it yourself  for  your own needs. People into electric flight will generally have an idea what power is required equivalent to IC engines. Same goes for 2stroke gas / nitro and 4 stroke fans. Simply choose what suits you.

The landing gear is an interesting one. I've had some for and against retracts for the Goose even in my own flying club. We have a lovely lake aswell as a hard runway.  It's just a personal choice.
 If you want lightweight waterproof retracts, I'll be tig welding them in the near future but that'll add to the cost as they will be hand made and painted. If you just want permanently retracted gear for water use only, then don't purchase the retracts, just simply build the Goose with dummy wheel wells.

There was quite a few Goose variants over the years since 1937 till 1960. The first model didn't go into production. Some modifications were made to the rear step of the hull and was moved aft 4.5 inches. The final prototype then went into production and the first was delivered on the 3rd July '37. Further hull modifications occured in '42 to reduce water spray and so on.

The retractable wing tip floats were an after-market upgrade for civilian versions and weren't made until well after WWII.

My project won't have retractable wing tip floats and haven't  drawn up a mechanism to do so. Maybe in the future a wood built up wing with a mechanism similar to a folding wing operation utilized for the floats may indeed work.

Thanks for the input!
Old 08-15-2012, 08:09 AM
nick.henderson

Hello yamaharley,
any further news on your project? I e-mailed you via this site about a set of your 1/4 scale plans, but dont know if you got it.
I was very fortunate to live somewhere that was serviced by both the Goose and the Widgeon. Flew almost every trip "up front" and was even given the yoke on occasions!
Would really love a big Goose to play with!!!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 AM
rrigby
My Feedback: (1)

the goose looks good.would love to have one in the future
Old 11-20-2012, 06:04 AM
rrigby
My Feedback: (1)

how much would complete kit cost for goose
Old 07-07-2013, 11:59 AM
trucker17

Yeah what would the cost of this plane be in the 1/5 scale.... I would also be interested in just a set of plans for it in the 1/5.....