Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Question - SIG Kadet on Floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Question - SIG Kadet on Floats

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 03:34 PM
RC Stout
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question - SIG Kadet on Floats

Hi all, I am building a SIG Kadet Senior that I am going to put floats on, I am going to use a .061 for power. Does any one have pictures of the float set up, placement of the landing gear and water rudder? Should I use the 5/32 gear that comes with the Kadet kit or should I use an aluminum gear? any pictures would be great.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2006, 05:47 PM
Antique

Default RE: Question - SIG Kadet on Floats

These are Great Planes floats extended 4" in the rear. Do a search for Chuck Cunninghams article on floats.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93990.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	481700  
Old 06-23-2006, 07:23 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easiest way: 2 identical aluminum landing gears.

Lighter but a little more complicated: make your own from Home Depot aluminum strips. Note: Spreader bars are required because this stuff is otherwise a little soft compared to the dural normally used for name-brand RC aircraft LG.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:02 PM
RC Stout

Thanks for the info, I made my own using 1/8"x1" aluminum stock and they turned out fine. The floats I made out of the pink foam from Home Depot, I laminated two pieces together then covered the top and bottom with 1/16" balsa. I am going to cover them with Polyester dress lining material and water based polyurethane. I tried a sample and it seems to work nice.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:30 AM
seaplane

I've used the polyester material and found it does'nt like to go around corners. It may bubble up at the corner, so be careful.
Seaplane
Old 07-11-2006, 04:55 AM
AlphaWhisky

So what fabric will go around corners?

I`m going to be faced with producing my first pair of floats soon - also for an approx Sig Kadet size model.

I intend to make them from foam, sheath them with 1/16" balsa and was then considering covering them with two or more nylon stockings and resin. Haven`t quite figured out how to neatly finish the nose and tail of these, but may try to fudge it with a balsa or plastic block at the front and a plywood plate at the rear?

What d`ya reckon?

Alan W
Old 07-11-2006, 07:59 AM
seaplane

Alan, I've made over 150 pairs of foam core floats over the last 4 years and I use 1/4" ply for the transom and 1/4" balsa for the nose. These pieces give you something to glue the sheeting to at ecah end of the float. Sometimes I'll glue a large balsa block to the noses, then shape them to give the nose a nice rounded shape.
Fiberglass cloth around 5/8 oz. or 3/4 oz. will bend around the corners much easier than the polyester dress lining.
Hope this helps.....................Seaplane
Old 07-11-2006, 06:38 PM
JimCasey

And you don't have to use ookey stinky resin either. Clear, water-based polyurethane varnish works GREAT.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:57 PM
1mickey

Jim

Did you use the polyurethane varnish over the fiberglass cloth and how long have you been using them. I've got a set of float plans on order. This is my first try at floats. I've heard that the step should be on the CG and the floats should extend 2" past the prop. is that correct.

Thanks
Ken Jones
Old 07-16-2006, 09:54 PM
RC Stout

Hi guys, I just finished my floats and they look OK for my first set. I used polyester dress lining material with a water based polyurethane finish. I used water based contact cement to glue 1/16" balsa on the top and bottom but not on the sides (the next set I will sheet the side I think it will make a nicer finish) I painted the the floats with one coat of polyurethane after it dried I put on the polyester one side at a time and put a coat of polyurethane on. After it dried I mixed corn starch in water to make a medium thick mixture then I mixed an equal part on polyurethane, then I painted two coats of this on to fill the weave sanding between coats then one final coat of clear polyurethane to seal the corn starch in. Then I sprayed two coats of Gray Rustoleum for color
Old 07-17-2006, 07:44 PM
JimCasey

Y'know, I just re-read the FIRST post of this thread and I think his plane may be a little underpowered. If the uses an 0.61 he'll be real sporty, but a .061 may do little but taxi.

1mickey: Poly varnish over glass cloth works well. I use mine over balsa sheeting, and dust on just the lightest mist of spray adhesive to hold the cloth in place. PU Varnish is just like resin, but water cleanup (until it cures) and almost no smell at all. Once it cures, I don't think you could get it off with nitric acid.

Floats should extend a little in front of the prop. 20% of the prop diameter will do-that's 2 inches with a .40 motor and a 10-6. Having the step on the CG will work, but big-time aurhorities (guys who can spell well enough to get an article published) say to set the step a little behind the balance point: 40% of the mean aerodynamic chord was one reference.
Old 07-17-2006, 09:24 PM
RC Stout

In reference to the first post I missed typed the size, I am using a K & B .61 for power not a .061. I don't think I could even taxi with a .061
Old 07-26-2006, 11:37 PM
sgillmore
My Feedback: (50)

I used Sport Cap .40 Gear (HAN2307) from Horizon Hobby. They're only $11.88 and come with axles! You have to spread them out a little to match the stock wire gear, but they work great. So inexpensive, I bought three pair: two for my float setup and one for the taildragger conversion. I can convert from traildragger to floats in under 15 minutes. I used the 40" floats from www.espritmodel.com.

Name:	Yw69235.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	497452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89597.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	497453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze86964.jpg
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	497454  
Old 07-27-2006, 07:20 PM
JimCasey

Perfect. And a good job on the rest of the plane, too. Are we havin' fun yet??
Old 09-03-2006, 01:25 AM
mblvsvb

Here are some pics of my kadet. love it, its my first float plane and I am in the process of converting a few more of my planes.
The Kadet is powered with a saito 100 and gp floats

Name:	Sq45900.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	518039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65567.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	518040