Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

What type of floats are these?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

What type of floats are these?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Throttle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of floats are these?

Can anyone tell me who made these floats? They were given to me and I have no information on them. What model or make are they and how do you mount the bracing to the floats? It looks like if I used screws they would just pull out of the light plastic. The top of the floats are rounded. I plan to us them on a 40 size plane call a Debonair the engine will be a OS .46 AX.

Thanks for any information. This will be my first attempt at building a seaplane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71569.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	485097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33725.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	485098  
Old 06-30-2006, 04:39 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What type of floats are these?

Depending on the quality, they are either Zee Doo floats (from Hobby Lobby) or Super Flying Models floats (from Horizon). The Zee Doos are smooth and rigid and the SFs tend to be softer, with wavy surfaces. The SFs have a hole through one of the floats, near the back for a water rudder. The Zee Doos do not. If they are SFs, check the joints carefully for leaks.

In either case, the floats are fiberglass and there is a hardwood backbone inside running along the top of the float. You screw the brackets through the glass, into the hardwood.

They are both very good handling floats.

Jim
Old 07-01-2006, 02:34 PM
Throttle

Thanks Jim, from the description you gave I have the Zee Doo floats. Do you have a suggestion as to what type, size, and length screws I should use when mounting the bracing to the floats? Thanks again for your input.
Old 07-01-2006, 08:06 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

#8 sheet metal screws about 1/2" longer than the brackets are thick should be fine. If you have any questions about how to mount and set up the floats just ask.

Jim
Old 07-02-2006, 06:19 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto to everything Jim said.

I would suggest using at LEAST #6 screws, maybe #8. Too long is better than too short. If you can find stainless steel screws they would provide an obvious advantage. Be sure to drill a pilot hole for the screw into the wood so the screw will not split the wood. Make the pilot hole a tiny bit larger than the root diameter of the thread. Optional but useful: thread the screw in, back it out, and harden/seal the threads in the wood with thin CA.

If you ever strip out one of the sheetmetal screws, drill in a larger hole and epoxy in a piece of hardwood dowel. After the epoxy cures, patch the fiberglass, re-drill the pilot hole, and reinstall the screw.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Throttle

Thanks for your input Jim Casey, your tips will be helpful. I will post further for sure with questions as I progress with the building. Thanks again to both Jims and to any other that might post.