Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Will these work ?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Will these work ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 08:47 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will these work ?

Just bought a pair of floats from a fellow flier. They are 36.25" long. The plane I wanted to put them on is 47" fom prop washer to rudder hinge. Are these floats about right. Also do they mount at the same angle of attack as the wing. How wide should they be spaced .
Tim
Old 07-16-2002, 05:21 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Will these work ?

The armoredplanet website is pretty neat.

As far as spacing your floats, about 25% of the wingspan seems to be the number that people throw out. Hang your floats on the existing landing gear for a starting point.

Primarily float spacing determines resistance to tipping in a crosswind. If you have a low wing, you can get by with less float spacing. With a high wing and dihedral, you need more. The float spacing on my Senior Telemaster is too narrow by that rule, and it is a Little tippy in a crosswind, but not so bad that I feel the need to change anything.

If the floats are spaced too wide, I suppose it would start to hurt stability on the water and the plane would tend to yaw about as one float has more drag than another. This is a highly rare occurrence, and yaw is usually caused by poor rigging or the water rudder hanging too low.

If you have a specific handling problem then you'll know how you should adjust the float mounting from the problem you have.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:43 AM
twostroker
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floats

Thanks for all the input , it should be easy now.
Tim