Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Thinking about floats.

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Thinking about floats.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 11:50 AM
60buick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about floats.

I have a Carl Goldberg Anniversary edition Cub that I was thinking about putting floats on it. I have never flown anything off water or seen anyone do so so I do not know what to expect.

The plane does not have a clipped wing and is powered by a .70 4 stroke. Would this be enough power to lift off the water? Which float kit would you recommend? How do floats change the handling of the plane? How difficult are water takeoffs and landings?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:19 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Thinking about floats.

Goldberg makes a set of floats specifically for their Cub which are a great match. An OS 70 will be perfect.

The float kit also includes a lower Fin to add to the rear of the Cub which is helpful.

Set up the floats so that the wing sits with about 2 degrees postive incidence when the tops of the floats are level.

You'll also find that a good deal of lead will be needed to the forward tips of the floats to get the CG back where it was - Add this weight to the FLOATS and not the plane so when the floats are removed, you don't need to re-balance.

Take offs from water are not that much different, other than the fact that you really want to track straight and keep the wings level in order to avoid having one float dig in.

In the air, you'll feel a definite sluggishness due to the extra weight and drag, but nothing you won't easily get used to (Just make sure you have LOTS of altitude before attempting a loop or roll! )

Oh yea... Be sure to put your Rx in a plastic bag, and make sure there's a boat handy for retreival if necessary (And it's often necessary)

Good Luck
Old 08-03-2006, 09:20 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The toughest thing to mentally adjust to with float flying: If the motor is running, the plane moves. If the motor is NOT running, the plane moves. Somehow it never seems to move TOWARD you when the motor quits-probably Murphy's First Law of Seaplanes.

Make sure you have immediate access to a boat. Really.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:15 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One other thing: A 1:1 Cub has 65 HP and it can get off water on floats, with 2 guys on board and a canoe strapped to the struts. Your RC plane has a vastly greater power-to-weight ratio.