Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Supermarine S4 kit

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Supermarine S4 kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 08:11 AM
monocoupe
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supermarine S4 kit

Does anyone have any experience with the fiberglass 1/4 scale Supermarine S4 kit by R.C. City? I have just aquired one and would appreciate hearing from anyone who has already built and flown one of these beasts! Thanks for looking.

Cheers, Nigel
Old 01-05-2003, 10:45 PM
Don Panek

Default Supermarine S-4

Your in luck I built one of the first kits produced by R/C City when theywere still in Northern California. All I got at that time was a moldedglass fuselage and foam wing cores.I had to make my own drawings for the float attachment and draw up bulkheads for the fuselage and floats.I flew this model at the Lake Havasu Schneider Cup races in1993.
In addition a friend of mine built one also and we came in First and second. I still have a video tape I made showing how I was building the model. I use to send it back and forth as we progressed.In addition,I sold the drawings of the S-4 to the new owner(they went broke) because he had an order from Japan for ten kits and needed drawings.!!!!!!
The model flew very well and I sold it to a gentleman back east.
If I can help please advise. Best of luck, Don Panek
Old 01-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Nigel..check with Gordy at SeaCommander floats...he was doing floats for an S6B....I know a couple of guys with S6B's, but then you probably do too......
Old 01-06-2003, 01:35 PM
monocoupe

Default Supermarine S4

Hi Don,
Looks like I've hit the jackpot! Thank you for replying to my post!
It's great to hear that these models fly well. I don't expect to start on this project right away as I really need to finish up a couple of other projects first, but in the meantime, I'd like to get together everything I'm going to be needing...including information, so I know where I'm going with it.
I've been told by the previous owner that the foam cores in the kit are no good (incorrectly cut) so I'll either have to cut new ones, or just build the wing up from wood. The plans show a Super Tigre 3000 for power....I just don't see it, and I'll wager that you used something bigger!

What did you use for power?
Would it be possible to obtain a copy of your video?
Can you tell me if any washout is used in the wing?
Are the wing, stab and floats incidence angles as shown on the plan good? I can tell you what they are if you need me to.
Can you remember how much yours weighed?
I'd like to see what you did for engine cooling. Would that be addressed on the video? Or perhaps you have some other record such as still photos? I'm thinking about ducting the hot air out through the cockpit with a lightweight duct from the firewall.
I think I can save some weight on the float struts by using airfoil shaped aluminum tubes from Sea Commander, now that they are available.
Could you send me an e-mail with your e-mail address? Then we can communicate without having to do it here from now on. Thanks again Don, your help is very much appreciated!
Wayne, thanks for the info. I am aware of the S6B that Gordy offers. In fact a few years ago, he asked me if I would make the fuselage plug for him, but I just didn't have the time...I don't know who ended up doing it. I know that Bill Weins built one up in the Okanagan. Has someone down here on the coast built one?

Cheers, Nigel
Old 01-08-2003, 03:42 PM
noworknguy
My Feedback: (197)

hi Nigel lucky finding the kit do you where another one is, or is yours for sale?
Old 01-08-2003, 04:09 PM
monocoupe

Default Supermarine S4

noworknguy, As far as I know, this kit is out of production. The moulds are out there somewhere I'm sure, but I don't know how you would go about finding them. As for my kit, it's most definitely not for sale!

Cheers, Nigel