Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Durastik .40 on floats?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Durastik .40 on floats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 02:05 AM
Pilots12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Durastik .40 on floats?

I would really like to get into floats but right now all I have to work with is a Durastik 40. As you know this plane is mainly a stick with the Rx pretty close to the back fo the covered fuse. Anyway, do you think this would be an ok plane to put floats on? Its not water proof at all so thats the only thing I would really worry about. Let me know if you think it would work out ok, and if so what kind of floats to buy. Thanks!

Scott
Old 08-23-2006, 08:21 AM
Newc

Default RE: Durastik .40 on floats?

Scott - My feeling is that virtually any plane can be made into a float flyer. Here's a picture of my brother's home built plane with floats made out of pink foam (as is the wing), and not even covered or painted. It does very well off wheels and off the floats. One thing to consider is having he Rx and battery wrapped in a ziplock bag and perhaps having the servos mounted as high as possible, such as the aileron servos mounted on top of the wing if they are exposed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99531.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	511813   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98389.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	511814  
Old 08-23-2006, 11:20 AM
Pilots12

Wow, the Dura would deff hold up if that one does. So what tyoe of floats should I get for a 40 sized plane? Would towerhobbies have anything good?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Newc

Why not save the money and make them out of the pink foam like in the pictures? Search these boards for Chuck Cunningham and you will find his great articles for the design of floats for various size planes. It's easy and cheaper than buying them.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:11 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on-board with the idea of slapping floats on your favorite plane and going flying. Aileron servos should be on the bottom of the wing so the water drains away, not into them. Other servos should be under the wing, too. If you have an oopsie, the plane will float on the wing, on its back, nose down. Servos under the wing and to the rear edge of the wing is a spot that seldom goes under, unless you lose the wing altogether. Baggie or condom on the receiver and battery is good--sealed, but opening to the rear.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:24 AM
Newc

Jim and I look at the placement of the wing servos from two different perspectives, and there's probably no 'completely correct' way to do this.

My perspective - If the servos are on top of the wing - as I prefer, though don't always do - they aren't subjected to the (high pressure) spray when the plane is on the floats for taxiing, TO and landings, but are exposed to the (low pressure) water if the plane is upside down on the water. If the servos are on the bottom they are exposed to the spray mentioned above and, while they may not be immersed in the water when the plane is upside down, they will have received plenty of (probably high pressure) exposure to the water when whatever happened to get the plane upside down occured.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:49 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fair enough.

My logic is, when they get wet (every flight) if they are sitting upright any water that wicks into the housing around the shaft tends to go to the bottom of the servo where the expensive and delicate electronics live. High-pressure spray is possible but not mandatory-it depends upon the spray pattern and the relative location of the servo. Splitting hairs: I'd call it high velocity spray, but that's just me.

Upside down servos would have the water pooling in the gear case, and if the shaft allows water to leak in, it will leak out. 'specially if you pull a few Gs.

If you mount the servos on top, there's a non-draining hole into the wing, too.

But as you point out it might be six of one, half-dozen of another.