Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

help!! where can I fly!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

help!! where can I fly!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 10:52 PM
nexstar22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help!! where can I fly!!!

I recently bought a seamaster and tried to fly off of a resivoir down the street from my house. I just got it in the water when an undercover cop/d.e.p told me I couldnt fly!! and that I could get fined. I live in wallingford CT. does anybody fly seaplanes around this area? does anybody have an idea where i can fly?
Old 08-29-2006, 06:41 AM
Newc

Default RE: help!! where can I fly!!!

an undercover cop/d.e.p told me I couldnt fly!!
I would have asked the guy to first show me his identification and then for him to quote me the particular section of the law that he thought covered the flying. I'll wager that he couldn't, so I would have flown.

But then again, I'm now old enough that cops, judges, lawyers, doctors, etc. are normally younger than I, so I'm no longer intimidated by them!
Old 08-29-2006, 09:01 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it is a reservoir, it is private property of the local watershed district which would make it off limits to any private activity.

Look around, there's gotta be a small lake or large pond someplace.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:44 AM
Square Nozzle
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The NEDS (Northeastern Drone Society) out of Coventry CT has a flying site at Mansfield Hollow State Park just south of UCONN on Rt 195. Mansfield Hollow has a large reservoir that is used for R/C Sail and power boats, canoe's, fishing and just plane enjoying the scenery. The NEDS fly R/C seaplanes there also. In fact they have a Float Fly there on September 17th. Why don't you consider showing up for the float fly and talk to the club officers. The Fly In is open to all individuals and clubs. You'll have to be an AMA member to fly but you should be anyway just for your own individual activity.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:07 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Our club actualy flies from a reservoir in Ohio. It took us 10 years to get permission to fly from it. Since most reservoirs are drinking water sources there is some concern about contaminating the water with petroleum (gasoline) products. Took us a long time to convince the local water authority that we fly on alcohol and vegetable oil. You might want to go the local water authorith and ask to see the regulations for recreational use of the resevoir. I hate disagree with minn, but in Ohio the resevoirs are public property because they were built with tax dollars. Makes a big difference on who and how they can be used. Even if the local water district built the resevoir, I bet if you did some checking there was some public money used.
Old 08-29-2006, 03:00 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess I was making a general statement... I should have said "It MIGHT be private property" and while all states have different rules, most places will often frown on any activity where the public water supply is concerned.

You might be able to get permission, but a 10 year battle won't help you this weekend.
Old 08-29-2006, 04:00 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

No, it won't help this weekend. However, if one is willing to start the battle, he could secure a flying site in the future. We all know flying sites are disappearing faster than we can get them. If it is a nice flying site it should be worth the battle to try and secure it. You know, it might be as simple as asking the right person.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Newc

To add to the confusion, most reservoirs aren't for drinking water - they are either for flood control or power generation - and they were built by the beavers (Corps of Engineers) using our tax dollars. In fact, in Texas most were built at the time that Lyndon Johnson was in the U.S. Congress - what a surprise!