Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

How to repair float

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

How to repair float

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:36 PM
Throttle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to repair float

I have a small crack that runs across the bottom keel of one of my floats, for about one inch. My floats are fiberglass. The crack is large enough that I can see the webbing below it. Do I just use Epoxy or something else to make repair? The floats are store bought.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:43 PM
Bud Faulkner
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: How to repair float

What do you mean store bought? Who makes them?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:51 PM
Throttle

They are sold by Hobby Lobby. Not home made.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:08 PM
Wild Foamy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would say a little Carbon fiber patch and some epoxy to seal it, but i have no experiance with this sort of thing and thats just my opinion
Old 10-16-2006, 03:14 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

I've never had to repair a float... fiberglass is fiberglass though... What I normally do is try and wick the area with Thin CA... if it starts to soak in then fill until it stops wicking...with in reason... don't use the whole bottle. Once it's hardened with Thin CA I sand down the gel coat about an inch or so bigger than the crack/break until I just see glass... cut a patch of cloth(use the appropriate weight) just smaller than the area I sanded and glass it in feathering the edges out... light sand... check the weave and make sure it's filled, prime and paint.

John
Old 10-17-2006, 09:46 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Lightly sand the area around the crack, about an inch out all around it, enough to roughen the surface well (120-150 grit) apply some epoxy (30 minute is okay) in a thin coat, and lay a piece of 1/2 oz fiberglass cloth in the epoxy and smooth it out, and then another piece of the same but with the weave at 45 degree angle to the first. lay a piece of wax paper over the repair and press something flat, or the same contour as that part of the float, against the paper until the epoxy cures. Then sand the repaired area with 260-300 grit and feather the edge of the repair into the rest of the float. Now brush a very thin coat of finishing resin over the sanded area, wipe the excess, and repeat the wax paper, making sure there are no wrinkles in the paper, or air bubbles. When the resin cures, peel the wax paper off and you should have a smooth surface like a gelcoat. Paint to match.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:40 AM
Throttle

Thanks to everyone for all the help. I hope to give a test flight this weekend.