Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Wooooeeeee - Ready on Floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Wooooeeeee - Ready on Floats

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 04:24 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wooooeeeee - Ready on Floats

First, I had never flown a float plane until today. Secondly, the float flights today were only the second and a bunch more on this plane. Flying the Ready off water with the Saito .72 was a complete blast. Some of the most fun the three of us ever had flying. The Ready on Floats is an awesome plane, only way to put it. Up in the air: loops, barrel rolls, inverted flight, stall turns, you name it. On the water it was sooooo pretty doing touch and goes, landing and taking off are a dream and so easy. This plane will fly along just off the water at a really slow speed with no tendency to stall. She was just beautiful. Falcon has a great little plane. The plastic plane idea is great for a floater; she stayed dry, had no bad tendency, and the all plastic construction meant water was not an issue anyway.

The only problem is this plane is a blast to fly off wheels also. We are thinking about taking the water rudder off her. That way she could switch back and forth from floats to wheels in about 20 minutes. With the water rudder you really can’t switch her back easily.

The picture is of my very first water landing. More is posted in the Review Forum.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	48368_555.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	29958  
Old 01-19-2003, 01:42 PM
Flipper
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, this is a great plane! I think anybody would have a great time with one of these.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:15 AM
ppw
My Feedback: (24)

I don't want to rain on your parade but wait til the plastic starts developing stress cracks all over!
Old 01-20-2003, 04:23 AM
Flipper

Been flying mine for a couple of years and don't have any yet, it gets flown about every weekend in the summer. It has an OS46FX and I snap rolled it real hard on a windy day take off and cartwheeled it in. Broke one side of the landing gear, Falcon sent me a replacement and been flying every since.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:21 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

It is a very soft and pliable plastic that does not appear to easily develop cracks. We had an engine failure at about 20 feet up on its first flight. Smashed into the ground nose and wing first. I know we were lucky, but no damage to the plane at all. We made around 15 flights the first day out on floats without a hitch. Expect this bird to still be flying long after I am bored with it.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:59 AM
ppw
My Feedback: (24)

Hi Splais, I just wanted to warn you not anything else. The local hobby shop owner has the plane and has had to rebuild tail and repair several stress cracks with no hard water landings. Thanks Pat
Old 01-27-2003, 05:20 AM
CL215FAN
My Feedback: (13)

If you remove the water rudder you will not be able to turn on a windy day.I have been float flying for several years and I really enjoy it.
Old 01-28-2003, 08:21 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

I noticed plastic planes like this don't handle the cold well. Especially ding ups in the cold. Is it possible that the stress cracks formed were in a colder climate?

Just a suggestion if you did not do this already. The Saito 72 is an expensive engine and I would run a steel fishing leader from the engine to a bulkhead in the fuse for safety. I saw a guy loose his wing on a float plane (I know what you guys are thinking - it wasn't me!). When the rescue boat came back, we noticed that every thing firewall fore-ward went to the bottom of the lake. I was videotaping at the time. The owner of the plane gave a copy of the tape to divers. The engine was never found.
Old 01-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Flipper

I had the elevator servo quit on a .60 size See Bird about 20 years ago and it hit the water straight in and exploded in a million pieces. It was in 40' of water and I lowered the anchor from our fishing boat to the bottom and tied the other end to a piece of foam from the wing to mark the spot. Went back to the cottage got my scuba gear and went out and followed the rope down with a light and it looked like a plane crash on the bottom of the lake. Picked up the Enya .60, the battery and the servo's, the reciever was still in a piece of the fuse. Lucked out because I marked the spot, it would have been impossable in all that water to pinpoint otherwise. I will never forget the look on my Dad's face cause it was his plane, I was flying it for him, as he was still in the learning stage. He said, " You crashed my airplane!" I don't think he forgave me for that because I always laughed when he would bring it up.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:08 AM
jtiller
My Feedback: (21)

I will echo the good comments on the Ready. This is a really good airplane -- on floats or wheels. Mine has been in the air for about a year now on a second hand Thunder Tiger .46. I flew it on New Year's day at our fun fly, with the temp right at a balmy 31 degrees and a wind of about 15 mph. No problems what so ever. I see no sign of cracks, dents or any other wear and tear except for the normal paint dings.

I set mine up with two set screws on the rudder servo, so I can put the water rudder cables through and tighten them real easy. I can change from floats to wheels in 15 minutes. I bought a second water rudder from Falcon, I am going to mount twin rudders this spring.

Great airplane and a good perfomer -- very acrobatic without the floats and not bad with them on. No bad habits what so ever. And one of the easiest to assemble ARF's I ever built. You can every read the directions!
Old 03-06-2003, 01:59 AM
Graeme Hogg

I flew my ready 2 at Keilder reservoit over here in the UK last sept, wot a laugh and a half, I only have on OS40 LA in it so it's a bit marginal for take offs, but with a long rin up and carefully pitching the elevator up and down it became unstuck eventually. I must have had about 15 flight that ady, the next meet is at Easter so guess where I'll be??
Old 03-06-2003, 04:30 AM
Minnreefer

Sounds like a very intesting plane, does anyone have link for more info on the plane?

Thanks

jon
Old 03-06-2003, 04:52 AM
jtiller
My Feedback: (21)

Default Falcon Trading Compnay Web Address

Here's the web link:

http://www.falcon-trading.com/
Old 04-05-2003, 09:59 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ready On Floats...

I just came back from the Tomcat's swap meet in Gillroy today with one of these puppy's, can't wait to get my feet wet, literally.
She's RTF (ready to float) with a Fox 45, a Hitec Flash 4 radio and a half tank of fuel for $260.00 and is in excellent shape.

Anybody know anything about Fox 45 engines?
Should I just bolt in one of my OS 46 FX engines and get it over with?
Old 04-07-2003, 02:08 PM
Goinstraightup

The Fox is waayyy more finicky than the OS. If it was broken in properly it may be good. When they run right they have fantastic power. They like a little extra Castor oil too.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Carlos Murphy

Default Goinstraightup

Thanks,
I'll give it a try with 15% Powermaster and a good plug.
Old 04-07-2003, 05:58 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Somebody gave me a FOX 50. I went through it and checked everything, fired it up, set the needle, and took off. It died after a minute or so. After about 3 flights where it did the same thing, I popped in a McCoy 59 glow plug. Miraculous transformation!! Started easily, idled better, more power, and my hair grew back! (OK, my hair grows all the time anyway) Maybe it just needed a plug, but the McCoy 59 sure worked for me. (Fuel was 10% cool power.)
Old 04-08-2003, 04:11 PM
Rojeck
My Feedback: (22)

Great plane to fly and a whole lotta fun. I too have to say be careful of all the hinging on this plane. I've had two of these and both developed cracks on the hinges after three seasons of fun flying. It was repaired by cutting the T.E. open and inserting a piece of hard wood, next it was slotted and a replacement hinge glued in. The other one had too many cracks and broken hinges that I repainted the plane in camo and now it hangs as wall decor in my son's room. I will probably get another one for this season.

Sung
Old 04-08-2003, 08:52 PM
Carlos Murphy

Default Water?

I just flew it this morning, from grass beside our runway.
It flew just fine, landing was a breeze, last half of the "roll-out" was a sponson -walk. The Fox 45 is pissing fuel out the front bearing but ran OK.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Carlos Murphy

Default Water?

It flew just fine, landing was a breeze, last half of the "roll-out" was a sponson -walk. The Fox 45 is pissing fuel out the front bearing but ran OK.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Carlos Murphy

Default Water?

Old 04-09-2003, 02:04 PM
Goinstraightup

Sounds like fun!
Old 05-11-2003, 05:22 AM
Grampaw

Fox engines do "wet" things down somewhat, but when set up properly they run well. If you have a dual needle valve carb on it, and have problems setting it up, call Fox and order a single needle carb. Like all the rest of us, you're probably more familiar with the single anyway. If that Fox has some time on it, or it needs some attention, ship it to Fox for overhaul, they do an excellent job and you get to keep your "arms and legs."
Another thing, about the fuel. Duke Fox told me once that 5 to 10% was plenty for his engines that were to be run in my part of the world (a bit North of the Gulf of Mexico) and that they (Fox)always prerun their new motors before they leave the factory, using a 5% fuel. I took his advice and went to a 5% fuel and I flew all summer long with a "cool" engine, well lubriated, but cool to the touch after a flight. I still fly a couple of Foxes.
RIP Duke.