Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

How To Fiberglass a Set of Floats?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

How To Fiberglass a Set of Floats?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 06:28 PM
M3
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How To Fiberglass a Set of Floats?

I am interested in fiberglassing a set (or three) of floats. I flew my Somethin' Extra on floats off the snow yesterday and there were some icy patches that did a number on my Monokote covering on the bottom of one float.

I plan on doing as much snow float flying (oxymoron?) as possible and need a more durable finish that Monokote.

I have never fiberglassed and envision a huge mess. Is this the case? Will I get a nice smooth finish (like a boat hull)? Anyone know a good site that might have a "How-To" on fiberglassing for beginners? I have plenty of Monokoting experience, and figure that fiberglassing is similar, different material?

Thanks,
Lance
Old 01-31-2003, 08:02 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arts-Hobby has a great step-by-step on glassing. I'm following it for my first fiberglassing job and it is not as difficult and messy as you might think.

I'm actually glassing a set of scratch built floats right now as well. Using 1/2oz cloth and EZ-LAM resin from Aerospace Composites (also used a layer of heavier cloth on the bottoms).

I also read the posts on using Polycrylic or Polyurethane for glassing. I tried the Polycrylic on one set of floats and I didn't care for it. The epoxy seems to make a harder, stronger finish.

Ben
Old 01-31-2003, 11:47 PM
Ikaros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get yourself a square meter or so (square yard ehe ) of 75 gram fiber glass cloth designed for epoxy matrix. Then get a set of laminating epoxy such as aeropoxy or similar (thin slow setting epoxy).

Put 2 or 3 layers at the bottom, 1 layers at the sides and 2 to 3 layers at the top.

Prefer applying the layers wet in wet but not necessarily.

Use epoxy mixed with Talcum powder for surface finishing.

Cheers,
Ikaros
Old 02-05-2003, 03:12 AM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been having good luck applying the fiberglass cloth with water based polyurethane. The brush is cleaned with hot water and another coat can be applied in a few hours. I also have had good luck with using 100% polyester dress lining instead of fiberglass cloth. Either way put about 3 coats of polyurethane on, then a couple coats of 50/50 epoxy and alcohol mixed with talcom (baby powder). The talcom makes the sanding much easier. Add enough talcom to thicken the mixture till it doesn't drip off the mixing stick. Good luck......Seaplane