Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

has anyone fabbed up their own float mount kit??? (for a trike)

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

has anyone fabbed up their own float mount kit??? (for a trike)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 09:01 AM
pbjones81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default has anyone fabbed up their own float mount kit??? (for a trike)

As the title says, I bought a set of .46 size floats for my nexstar. I plan to use the rear landing gear as the rear mount, and fab up some kind of bracket to hold it on the front. What would be the best material/configuration to use on the front? and where can I pick up the material? Also, What are the spreaders made of? Is there anything I can pick up from Hobby Lobby or a similar store that will work as them? Wooden dowels maybe (covered in some kind of water/fuel resistant)? Lastly, any suggestions?
Old 01-25-2007, 10:56 AM
daveshoby

Default RE: has anyone fabbed up their own float mount kit??? (for a trike)

Hi, I have made my own several times. I usually use 5/32 music wire in the form of a landing gear. For a trike set, you can solder a vertical stub to the gear and slip it into the front lg mount. Usually the origional rear gear is to short so you will probably need to bend a new set up for the rear also. For braces and spreader bars I also use 5/32 wire. Wrap all joints and solder. For attaching to the floats I have made plywood plates and used landing gear straps and I have seen front gear mounts used with a collar in the steeering arm position to center the floats and stop side to side movement. Hope this helps. Dave
Old 01-25-2007, 03:08 PM
The Bluehead

Hey pb, the Nexstar gives itself problems on mounting a second set of gear....it has a curved fuselage, and the mains fit into a notch in the side. Can you use the front nose gear mount to set up a bent and soldered music wire setup for the front mount? If not, use that part of the firewall to attatch wire braces. Ditto on the 5/16" wire from Dave...does a good job, flexes but sturdy.....cheap and easy to replace if you bang it up. I put floats on my PT-60. It has a flat bottom so I just used 2 Dubro plastic main gear sets, spacers are 5/16" wire, dual Ernst water rudders, linked by a pair of 4-40 rods soldered together between the floats. A bit heavy but flies good. Time permitting I should be starting the Novack 108" PBY soon. Good luck.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:58 PM
fairplane

HI- I just finished putting fiberglass floats on my nexstar- easy,check it out - I'm not sure why the pics won't enlarge here but you can get lots of details here [link]http://rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=560808[/link]
Attached Images        
Old 04-15-2007, 01:38 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am planning on floating my NEXTAR I got a set of Superfloats for my nextar it has been sitting retired for quite some time my plan is to glue in some hard points to the fuse and make a wood bracket as a mount to the fuse to attach the floats mine has been crashed a couple of times so I will re-cover it and seal the fuse gear holes with monocoat I am also planning on going up in power to a OS61 and straitening the wings for a bit more performance out of the old ex-trainer
Old 07-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Minimaxed

I have a Spadet LC-40 with a T.T. .46 Pro on it. weighs 6.6lbs full of fuel.
i have a similar question....it is a tri-gear and i don't really want to mess around with landing gear location (its a tight squeeze with my servos all in the fuse). i have a set of plastic Gee Bee floats on order that should be in on friday. im wondering if the tri gear can be mounted like that nexstar on my plastic floats. i also dont know if my plane is too heavy (i built a set of foam floats really quickly last summer....and it never got off the water as i tend to over-build my stuff...)
any other tips for the first time seaplane rc flyer?
Old 07-12-2007, 01:33 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do yourself a big favor and run a search here on Gee Bee floats. To put it bluntly, they don't work. You will save yourself a lot of grief if you just send them back without opening the box.

Jim
Old 07-12-2007, 03:54 PM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I agree with jrf, GeeBee floats don't work.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Minimaxed

did a quick search....cant find anything negative on these floats....could you tell me a little more about why they dont work?
i have opened the box....so its a little late for sending it back...but they look fine...so i dont understand..[sm=confused_smile.gif]

Minimaxed
Old 07-13-2007, 10:51 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Gee Bee floats were designed in the 1960s when we didn't know any better. We have learned a lot about model float design since then, but the Gee Bees have never been updated.

I second what Jim Casey said. And if the airplane makes sudden high speed turns after you get up on the step, or won't come off the water, don't blame the airplane. They really are terrible floats , but if you have a very light, very high powered airplane that will come off the water in a few feet, they work OK. (So would a couple of empty water bottles.)
On the water, Gee Bee floats are unpredictable. You will need to carefully adjust the attitude of the airplane with the elevator so that it runs on the step with the front and rear surfaces out of the water, otherwise it may not be able to build up the speed necessary to take off. Then, as I said above, they will frequently make uncommanded sharp turns to the right or left just before lift-off. You will see many other floats at the float fly, and all of them will be more consistent and easier to handle on the water.
See also this thread:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...tm.htm#2222921

Jim
Old 07-13-2007, 01:32 PM
Minimaxed

jrf
thanks for the info.
i'm going to try the floats, and if it does those things, I'll know whats happening.
ill post another reply next week to tell you how it goes.
thanks,

Minimaxed
Old 07-13-2007, 08:21 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6.6 pounds with a TT.46 pro. OK, with an 11-4 prop he can go vertical and he will probably be able to get it launched unless he really messes up the incidence. I'm not predicting graceful, just airborne.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:18 PM
Minimaxed

..and airborne is all i want
Old 07-26-2007, 02:58 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so here is what I have done to my NEXTAR so far, really a strip and recover of the fuse,made new gear mount and the OS 61fx for power,just a little more work and it's ready to go
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69455.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	730174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vr52954.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	730175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ze85526.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	730176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ke91551.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	730177   Click image for larger version

Name:	Al70683.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	730178  
Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 AM
akflyer
My Feedback: (7)

I have put Gee Bees on many planes.. I never had a real problem with them other than they tend to run a tad small for the size plane you are putting them on. If you have a 40 size plane, put a set of 60 size floats on it. They also make the best skis ever for winter flying!
Old 07-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only person in my club who used Gee Bee floats had one leak and the plane sink the two times he came out to float fly with us.