Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Floats for 60 size Ultra Stick

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Floats for 60 size Ultra Stick

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 09:37 PM
RVator
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Floats for 60 size Ultra Stick

I picked up a set of Gee Bee Floats at a swap meet this weekend. They are ABS plastic and 32 inches long. Will they work with my Ultra Stick 60? I am going to use the main gear and fab a new rear mount. I am also going to add a water rudder.
Old 01-28-2007, 10:02 PM
JimCasey

Default RE: Floats for 60 size Ultra Stick

Usually 60-size planes need floats about 40" long.
32" floats usually go to .40-size planes.

The guideline is: measure from the prop washer to the rudder hinge line, and multiply that distance by .75. That's your recommended float length.

You may also choose to search this forum and find the general consensus about the type of floats you mentioned.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:38 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Gee Bee floats are generally considered the worst floats ever made. There has been some talk of a class action suit.

Actually, the few people who have had good results with Gee Bee floats have put them on a plane like yours. Gee Bees will float the airplane. If the 32" floats will keep the tail of your Stick out of the water they will be OK. What the Gee Bees don't do well at all is run along the water building up speed for take-off, so with your setup, use the power of the engine, use flaps or flaperons and get off the water as quickly as you can.

Full throttle and full up is usually not a good technique for taking off a float plane, but with Gee Bee floats, it is the only one that works.

And forget the water rudder. You don't need it. Taxi with full up elevator, use the air rudder and a burst of throttle to steer.

Jim
Old 01-29-2007, 04:12 PM
RVator

Hey thanks for the info. Now I know why the Gee Bee floats were free! I measured 51 inches prop washer to rudder hinge so that is just over 38 inches. I also picked up a Goldberg kit of 36 inch floats for their Anv Cub. Maybe I will just build them and fiberglass them. I am using a Saito 100 for power and use the 4 servo wing so I have flaps avaliable to use and no shortage of power.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:25 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Goldberg floats are MUCH better floats. But they are pretty heavy. I'd suggest that you not fiberglass them all over. The best compromise seems to be to cover everything but the bottom front with iron-on film. Wrap the film around the bottom edge then fiberglass the bottom front so that the resin is over the edges of the film.

Since you have the flaps and a 100 in the Stick, why not try the Gee Bees and see if they work for you. If They don't you can just burn them like the rest of us do.

Jim
Old 01-29-2007, 08:31 PM
JimCasey

I won a set of those un-named floats in a fun-fly. Second place was TWO sets of 'em. YukYukYuk.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:18 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim: does that mean you were 3rd ???? ENJOY !!! RED