Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Curtiss RC3-2 plans

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Curtiss RC3-2 plans

Old 03-27-2007, 12:32 AM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curtiss RC3-2 plans

Am planning my next seaplane project, and am seriously considering the Curtiss RC3-2 biplane racer. I heard that one was at the Havasu Float Fly awhile back. Anyone know where I can obtain some plans? Any photos of the Curtiss racer out there? I am trying to determine what the color scheme and markings are for the seaplane version. From some black and white photos, it appears that it was not the black and gold wing scheme of the land plane. I am thinking a quarter scale model would be a manageable size with a 66 inch wingspan and would be proportionate to my 48 inch sea commander floats which are looking for some duty. Any information and leads will be welcomed. Thanks in advance
Old 03-28-2007, 03:44 AM
Leo

Default RE: Curtiss RC3-2 plans

Hi Garch,

I built a 1/4-scale R3C-1 from Don Smith Plans plans a few years ago. (donsmithplans.com) The plans also include the R3C-2 version. I think the plane looks fantastic and it is a good performer in the air. Initially the CG was way too far back and the plane ballooned steeply on takeoff. However, the plane was still fully controllable and I was able to make a safe landing. I believe the long tail moment and large tail area makes the plane forgiving.
I have also had some success flying off water by attaching an old pair of Sig floats

I agree that information on the R3C colour scheme is hard to find, but these links mat be helpful:
http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero...curtissr3c.htm
http://www.airminded.net/r3c/r3c.html
http://oldbeacon.com/plans/resource4...rce_page-4.htm
There is also a R3C-2 build thread going on in the Don Smith forum at rcscalebuilder.com

As the plans are sport scale, I have spent a fair amount of time improving the scale appearance, which also added some weight. My R3C-1 weighs 16,5 lbs. With the Sig floats 19 lbs. Power to spare from a Laser 200V engine swinging an 18-6 prop.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32561.jpg
Views:	1130
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	651758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez83741.jpg
Views:	1488
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	651759  
Old 04-01-2007, 12:22 PM
garch 22
My Feedback: (7)

Leo,

Thanks for the links. I had not seen the airminded site, which had some great black and white photos. I am going to contact their site and see if I can obtain the name of their source book which may have colored photos. It does appear that the earlier versions of the RC3 were navy gray with white and yellow tailfeathers. Your 1/4 scale model was inspiring as were your helpful comments.

I have tried to get into the Donsmithplans website for the past year and my computer always freezes up when I go there. Know of any other way to contact the site or get some plans elsewhere?

For anyone else interested, I did find a 1:20 scale static model of the RC3-2 @ Miniaturedreammodels.com with a 13 1/2 in. wingspan
which looks quite nice with rigging and some detail. Sells for $ 140.00 including shipping within the US. I plan on purchasing one for inspiration and hopefully use as a reference too.

Blue Water, Green Lights
Joe
Old 04-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Leo

ORIGINAL: garch 22

I have tried to get into the Donsmithplans website for the past year and my computer always freezes up when I go there. Know of any other way to contact the site or get some plans elsewhere?
That sounds weird. Never had a problem getting to his web site. Here´s the contact information.

Don Smith
7445 Texas Trail
Boca Raton, FL. 33487
561-989-9113
[email protected]

Hope this helps,
/Leo
Old 04-02-2007, 11:42 AM
floats

Hi Joe There is another site that sells a kit ahd plans for the R3C-2.look up GDH Consulting corp I think there in Canada it is a 1/6 size .I think it is a far better plan as Glen has redisgned the fuselage and floats. I am building1/4 enlarged to a 1/3 scale don smith R3C-2 IT Has a 88" Wing span, the fuselage and the floats needed to be redisgned for strength,I'm useing a G62 for power.There are some great aircraft in the Schneider Cup series.Regards Doug
Old 08-30-2008, 01:03 PM
bob57hdt

For information on the Curtiss R3C-2 go to www.schneider-cup.com . In the RC Kits, Plans and Products page you will find plans and two companies that will cut kits for you.
Also there is a page on Building and Flying the 1/3rd scale Curtiss R3C-2 for the Lake Havasu Schneider Cup Re-enactment.

Colors for the #3 Doolittle R3C-2 was, the wings were gold (not chrome yellow as we had originally thought ) and struts and floats were black.

Hope this helps,

Bob
Old 09-18-2008, 11:09 AM
warhead_71

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=839966

3-view and cross sections available if you want to scale them up and make your own plans.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:31 PM
bob57hdt

Garch,

If you have not begun your Curtiss R3C-2 project yet, the are now at least 3 companies that will cut a kit for you.

For 1/4 scale try these two:

http://www.precisioncutkits.com/instock.html

http://www.kitcutters.com/Smi/SmiR3C2Racer.htm

This company is the only one I know of that is cutting 1/3rd scale.

http://www.kitcutter.com/cut/www.kitcutter.com/news.htm

Bob

Also, check out http://www.schneider-cup.com for info about building and flying the 1/3rd scale Curtiss R3C-2 from the Schneider Cup Re-enactment held in Lake Havasu, AZ
Old 03-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Hi fellow Modelers,

I own the Harold Osborne Collection of Super Detailed 4 and 5 View Scale Drawings with Fuselage cross sections and Wing Rib sections show. Competent Scratch Builder must engineer the structures.

Curtiss R-6 US Army Racer shown with Pontoons, 29" wingspan.

Ryan ST-A 60" Wingspan shown with Pontoons.

And about 20 additional Drawings. Send me your e-mail address for a complete lising of the Osborne Scale Plans and Scale Drawings.

Ken AMA 1528 [email protected]
Old 03-31-2009, 11:10 AM
bob57hdt

Ken,

I would like to see a list of the Harold Osborne plans.

What size are the plans?

Bob
Old 07-17-2009, 03:20 PM
bob57hdt

Joe,
You mentioned you heard about a Curtiss R3C-2 that was a Lake Havasu a while back, well this November 6,7 and 8th, 2009 the Curtiss you mentioned has returned to Lake Havasu and will be flown in this years London Bridge Seaplane Classic. The Curtiss mentioned was one I helped build and was recently purchased and returned to Lake Havasu. Xtreme Power Systems and I are restoring the Curtiss and transforming it to electric power. The 42 lb. gas powered winner of the 1990 Schneider Cup Re-enactment will fly in November with electric power. There will be other Schneider Aircraft there also....it is not that far from Santa Barbara....hope you can make it.
Bob

Name:	Ay76077.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	249.5 KB
ID:	1238313  
Old 07-17-2009, 07:50 PM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Garch22,
Hear are 2 photos of a Curtiss that a gentleman in Indiana built. Maybe this will help you with your color scheme. I don't know how acurate it is. I made the floats for it in the Schneider Cup style of round top and pointed stern. The floats were 51" long but I don't remember the wing span.
Seaplane

Name:	Om32692.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	1238398   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60955.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1238399  
Old 07-17-2009, 10:27 PM
TFF

http://collections.nasm.si.edu/media...002000CP07.jpg
Old 09-15-2009, 12:40 PM
noworknguy
My Feedback: (197)

I have a 1/3 scale with a 3w 70 (never seen gas) needs floats (have templets) built fromDon Smith plans 88' top and 80' bottom wing. Looks lik the one in the storage locker.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:08 PM
Flytoolow
My Feedback: (17)

I am on the hunt for scale documents for the R2C-1 or the R3C-1. Primarily the colors used...i have not seen many color photos nor good ones that shoe color differences in the horizontal stabilizer. I know the Smithsonian has a R3C-2 in the Air and space museum, but I am not interested in using that as my guide...R3C-2

Thank you in advance.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 PM
Ray S.
My Feedback: (1)

The National Air and Space R3C-2 has "Army" colors, basically black and gold, but remember that both the Army and the Navy raced the R3C-2 so it is unlikely that the aircraft was in Army colors. There were 3 built, one Army, one Navy, and one spare so they would have been interchangeable. If you look at the famous photo of Jimmy Doolittle on the float in Baltimore, the number 3 is not on the side of the aircraft so it was most likely the spare. In addition, the inboard wings both upper and lower had radiators as the surface, so they would have been brass, not gold. They would not have painted the radiators. If I ever have time to finish mine, it will be brass (sort of gold) inboard wings, Chrome yellow outboard wings and a very dark almost black fuselage since I am convinced that is the most likely correct color combination. Of course the only definitive way to find out would be to check the archives at NASM, not the unrestored aircraft on display.
Ray
Old 07-26-2014, 06:33 PM
bob57hdt

For both Ray and Flytoolow above. I spent many hours researching the colors of the aircraft that we built for the Schnieder Cup Reenactment in Lake Havasu. Although we originally used chrome yellow for the wing tips, they were actually painted in Army Racing Colors, and that is Black and Gold. As Ray mentioned, the radiators were on the top and bottom of both wings and the outer panels beyond the radiators were gold. The aviation historian that had the original paint chips for the restoration was Thomas Foxworth, author of Speed Seekers (http://www.schneider-cup.com/Booksanddrawings.html}.Ray was also right about Navy and Army colors being different but the R3C-2 that Doollittle races was the same aircraft that the Army used to win the Pulitzer race They removed the wheels added floats and raced in the Schneider Trophy event. Hope this sheds a little light on your question. Getting accurate information on colors back then is very difficult. Even if you get descriptions of color, shades of colors are very rare.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:45 PM
Vic86406

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear rumors that the Curtiss that Bob is speaking about above may indeed be at this years London Bridge Seaplane Classic. There will certainly be other Giant Scale Schneider races there. Stay tuned for more about this event which is in its 33rd year.