Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

G&P sales 104" PBY

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

G&P sales 104" PBY

Old 04-13-2007, 06:45 PM
thomp896

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G&P sales 104" PBY

I tried this question on the warbird section and no takers maybe here is better. Has anyone out there ever built and flown a PBY104' kit from G&P sales? I'm thinking about building one with retracts and all, but would like to hear how they build/fly from someone who has done it,, Thanks Steve.
Old 04-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Newc

Default RE: G&P sales 104" PBY

Steve - I was going to build the exact plane you mention. However, after talking to Bill Price (G&P Sales) I decided to build his 104" PBN Nomad since it has better water handling and I was only going to fly it off the water. The full scale PBN Nomad didn't have wheels as it was strictly a flying boat, so the model doesn't have wheels either. There are retracts for the wing tips/floats, and I used Robarts.

The plane is definitely a 'builder's kit', requiring experience in building and simply filling in the gaps between the existing instructions and what needs to be done, and I found the parts - minor parts - to be a bit lacking so ended up making my own much of the time. That being said, I wanted a true project, not a simple kit, so it was perfect for me and I was and am very pleased with the kit. I vacuum bagged the tail feathers and the wings and then painted the entire plane. The fiberglass fuselage is very well done, which isn't too surprising since Bill teaches fiberglass manufacturing - as well as heading up the school's aviation department - at his college. I'm powering mine with twin YS FZ63S engines, dual Electrodynamics’ glow drivers, Spektrum DX-7 radio system, etc. Some pictures attached and I'd be glad to give further info if you wish.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76247.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	663899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93961.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	123.6 KB
ID:	663900   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30361.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	663901   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ng10559.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	663902  
Old 04-15-2007, 01:11 AM
thomp896

The plane looks awesome, nice job! How does she fly? Thanks so much for the info that is what I was looking for. I to enjoy the build almost as much as flying but don't have the expertise/tools to do a lot of custom part making. Did the parts that you needed to fabricate require machine shop type tools or everyday type stuff? Mine will be land based most of the time with a few flights off water here and there so I would go with the PBY with retracts etc. probably with 2 Saito 100's maybe 125's. Thanks for any info you have. Steve
Old 04-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Countryboy
My Feedback: (25)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: thomp896

I tried this question on the warbird section and no takers maybe here is better. Has anyone out there ever built and flown a PBY104' kit from G&P sales? I'm thinking about building one with retracts and all, but would like to hear how they build/fly from someone who has done it,, Thanks Steve.
A friend of mine is in the very early stages of building this kit. The retracts have been a chore at best. This one will be strictly land based.

Name:	Ro41835.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	664798   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33238.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	664799   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28282.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	664800   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54816.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	664801  
Old 04-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Newc

thomp - Since I got it finished last fall after the weather went to **** it is awaiting its maiden flight now. From the videos I have seen and the power to weight ratio I think it will fly very well - or at least here's hoping! Don't let my commenst about the small/minor parts worry you - no particular tools other than what you have around are needed and the mods are very easy. It's just that the instructions aren't much help.

Country - Looks like a nice, neat retract installation. A question about the cabin area. My PBN Nomad came with a full fueselage in fiberglass and was designed for the clear plastic 'window' part to be inside the existing fiberglass with the windows cut out of the fiberglass. Is the picture showing how the PBY comes from Bill, or did your friend chop off the top front of the fuselage to get to where he is now? If so, why? I would guess for access to the internals. I find the removal of the wing/pylon to not be a problem but can see where it would be more convenient as is shown in the photo. It would also look like the plywood area will make that part of the fuse at least as ridgid as originally, right?
Old 04-15-2007, 02:20 PM
eyeofra1678

I'am looking for a good PBY whats the link for G&P sales
Old 04-15-2007, 03:17 PM
thomp896

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. I think I'm going to go for it. Countryboy what engine combo is your friend going to use? I think twin 4 strokes would sound awesome in this plane. Thanks again, Steve
Old 04-15-2007, 03:19 PM
thomp896

FYI the site for G&P Sales I think is tagged SCALE RC AIRPLANES, but I'm sure if you search for G&P Sales you can find it.
Old 04-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Countryboy

ORIGINAL: thomp896

Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. I think I'm going to go for it. Countryboy what engine combo is your friend going to use? I think twin 4 strokes would sound awesome in this plane. Thanks again, Steve

Steve,

The plan as of right now is to install a pair of OS 50's that he already has on hand.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:17 AM
godzilla95

Link to G & P Sales is http://www.rcairplane.net/
Old 04-16-2007, 04:21 PM
Newc

thomp - Bill Price powers his 104" PBY and PBN with 61 Webra two-strokes and has plenty of power. That's why I am using YS FZ63S engines. On break-in flights with the YS63s on my 'mule' that normally has an OS 61FX, the YS FZ63S engines were more powerful and turned a larger prop than did the OS 61FX - and the sound of twin four-strokes is better, in my opinion, than for two two-strokes. YS engines put out more power than the other four-strokes so the ratio that many use for comparing two- to four-stoke engine sizes for equal power simply don't hold up.

Country - I would think that the OS 50s would be borderline at best. Bill recommends 61s, if using two-strokes and 91 if using four-strokes (see above as this is the 'normal' - non-YS - ratio used for two- to four- stroke power equality). My finished weight with vacuum bagged flight surfaces is 22#, which is right on what Bill states is the weight of his in the video that comes with the kit versus the 20# stated in his specs.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:26 PM
skull1971

Gentlemen, what ever happens please keep posting your results, and pics. Since I live on a lake, and fly, I have a real interest in what you all, (or ya'll) come up with. Thank you
Old 04-16-2007, 06:51 PM
thomp896

I agree, OS 50's doesn't sound like enough power. It's an awfully large airplane for those engines plus the weight of the retracts etc. I'd even be nervous with 61's, but thats just me I'd always rather be over-powered than under-powered. I'll probably go with the Saito 100's, I have one in another plane and the thing runs like a top. Steve
Old 04-16-2007, 07:37 PM
Newc

I'd always rather be over-powered than under-powered
Can I hear an "Amen", brother. That's why the stick on the left moves down as well as up. If there's not enough power there's no way that pushing the stick up further will help! (Besides, I have been very successful with parents/wife telling them that I needed the V-8 instead of the wimpy in-line 4 or V-6 - to allow me to get out of the way of problems; for safety!)
Old 04-17-2007, 03:56 PM
FloatYourBoat

Ivan Pettigrew has built 2 PBYs from scratch (and now sells the plans). Both have retracts, one has addtional retracts for wing-tip floats - very kool.
Go to: http://www.geocities.com/ivansplans/

Old 04-18-2007, 11:34 AM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

I have the 104" G&P PBY too. unbuilt kit, saving for a later date. did plan on the YS .63's. that would sound great. PBY's need to be big, smaller ones churn up a lot of water making take off awkward-and very unscale like!
Old 06-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Countryboy

Country - Looks like a nice, neat retract installation. A question about the cabin area. My PBN Nomad came with a full fueselage in fiberglass and was designed for the clear plastic 'window' part to be inside the existing fiberglass with the windows cut out of the fiberglass. Is the picture showing how the PBY comes from Bill, or did your friend chop off the top front of the fuselage to get to where he is now? If so, why? I would guess for access to the internals. I find the removal of the wing/pylon to not be a problem but can see where it would be more convenient as is shown in the photo. It would also look like the plywood area will make that part of the fuse at least as ridgid as originally, right?
Newc,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to your question. According to my friend, the way the front end on the PBY is open is the way it came. It was intended to use the clear plastic canopy to cover the opening, which would then be painted up to simulate the frame work. The front end of the PBY glass fuse had some severe low spots and was not symmetrical, and the deck behind the canopy was also not correct.

He cut the rear deck portion out and re-contoured that to be more in-line scale wise, and then made a fiberglass canopy by which the clear portion will be fitted inside that. Internal structure was made for the base of the fiberglass portion and there is also a ply base glued into the fuse to which the canopy is attached to.

Just an observation, but I would swear the nose on this thing look's like the head of a pit viper.

Name:	Ca80606.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	706621   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55183.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	706622   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk16575.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	706623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey71417.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	706624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lw19506.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	706625  
Old 06-21-2007, 08:22 AM
Newc

Interesting that Biill did a couple of variations on the method of doing the pylon and cockpit. Attaching a couple of pictures that show how my PBN came and was completed.

You'll notice that I added a 'control panel' behind the cockpit for access to the twin battery switches/charge jacks and that I also have added a splash rail around the front section of the fuselage. You can see from the photos that the kit came with the pylon detachable for access to the servos, linkages, etc., while it appears that your friend's came with the pylon as an integral part of the fuse, causing me to wonder how access to the control rods, etc. is gained.

It would be an interesting paint job to make the front look even more like a pit viper!

Name:	Ay74396.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	708179   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45210.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	708180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm23165.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	49.8 KB