Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Avistar

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Avistar

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 02:01 PM
old n slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avistar

Is it possible to put an Avistar on floats? I've moved on to low-wing planes and want to try a floater.
Is there a formula on what size floats to use? I learned to fly on this plane and still enjoy flying it periodically.
However it was purchased as complete with radio (cheap) so no big loss if it gets dunked.
Will appreciate any help.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:57 PM
flynfish44

Default RE: Avistar

Hello Old n Slow ,
The length of the floats should be approx. 75% of the lenght of the fuse measured from the hinge line of the rudder to the front of the propeller thrust washer. They should be spaced apart at approx. 25% of the wing span. The top of the floats should be at about 2 degrees positive incidence to the wing. The step should be at or very near the center of gravity of the plane.
I can say with little doubt that if it flys it can be put on floats. Take a look at this web site
www.geocities.com/planefunfloats
Old 06-07-2007, 05:45 PM
driedjello

Oh heck yeah. The Avistar is a great model for anything. Here was mine:

It flew like an sparrow on very inexpensive gee bee floats. I got so comfortable with it, I did inverted full speed passes skimming my rudder on the water. Sadly when one gets too comfortable with a plane, the end is neigh. I put her into a tree.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:37 AM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

I have an Avistar on floats. What a great float flyer. OS 46 FX with 11x7. Plenty of power. I think a 40 size would even be enough. I have plastic "Galleggianti" floats on it. Don't know who the US distributor is now. But they are 33 1/2 in. long. If you can find these floats they are very good, I think. But others are good, too. Any way--put 'er on floats, you'll love it. Here's a pic of mine. Good luck-John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78073.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	787882  
Old 10-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Wine Country Flyer
My Feedback: (5)

These would be perfect floats for your Avistar. If I can figure out how to get the link from the clip board to
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=329666 here! Ah, there it is. Check 'em out, they will work great.
John
Old 10-22-2007, 08:06 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can get the floats John is using from Hobby People. ENJOY !!! RED