Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Floats for Hobico Trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Floats for Hobico Trainer

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 11:12 PM
daviddep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Floats for Hobico Trainer

I'm looking for instructions on how to go about mounting floats on my trainer. I have a plastic set of GEE BEE floats. I'm not sure how to mount the front struts. Any pictures and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Floats for Hobico Trainer

If you want to enjoy some success at float flying, the first thing you should do is dispose of the GeeBee floats. They are not very good at all. Great Planes, Goldberg, Hanger 9 and Sig all have ARF floats complete with all the struts and mounting hardware to make the conversion a fairly simple exercise....
Old 06-11-2007, 08:05 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually some of the GeeBee floats are really good and some aren't. The small size are really good for a small airplane I've had so many sets I can't count them, from a Lanier Biplane in the mid 70's, to A Sig Cavalier, to a few Midwest Hots, and lately I've gone through two sets on a Dazzler. On other planes but that's the one's I remember. They are as much fun on snow and grass and gravel as the water. They come with a good instruction sheet, didn't you get it? If you do a search here I've seen it before. Also you can probably get a copy from GeeBee or Tower.

The larger GeeBees are not good, they flex too much and will collapse on a hard landing...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm35070.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	701880  
Old 06-11-2007, 11:41 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Because of the shape of the bottom of Gee Bee floats, they handle very poorly on the water. Once you are up to speed, they will make 90 degree turns at random. They are also much harder to get off the water than a good float would be.

The people who think they work OK almost always have high powered airplanes that will take off in a few feet. Your trainer will need to run along the water for a while to build up flying speed. Gee Bee floats will not work for you. Try the Super Flying Models floats from Horizon Hobbies. Not very expensive and a MUCH better float.

Jim
Old 06-12-2007, 11:20 PM
daviddep

Before investing in new floats, It might be just as worhwile to save for an actual sea plane? I live right on a lake, so I could fly everyday in water, and snow in winter. I have a plane that will take snow ski's. So, Buy new floats for the trainer, or invest in an actual sea plane. The Mariner or the Seamaster seem like good choices? I'll check into some newer floats as well. Any comments appreciated.
ORIGINAL: daviddep

I'm looking for instructions on how to go about mounting floats on my trainer. I have a plastic set of GEE BEE floats. I'm not sure how to mount the front struts. Any pictures and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 PM
daviddep

i HAVE THE .40-.60 size plastic float. I don't want to crash the trainer by forcing it on the floats. I'll check into some newer floats.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:08 AM
daviddep

Do you have more detailed pics?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 AM
evan-RCU

The larger more flexible ones are the 40-60 size ones. Who are yo asking for pics and of what?
Old 06-13-2007, 04:26 PM
daviddep

I have the 33" inch Plastic Gee Bee. I was looking for pictures that show how floats mount on the plane. I have extra main gear and brackets. I want to be able to use the existing main gear, and just add a front main gear and mount to the floats. this is where some pics would help.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:29 PM
evan-RCU

This is very easy to do and should work as long as you have the step placed at the CG and don't have the two floats real close together.