Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

AMA Special Interest Group (SIG) for Water-Planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

AMA Special Interest Group (SIG) for Water-Planes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 10:45 AM
QuinnH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMA Special Interest Group (SIG) for Water-Planes?

It was suggested to me (on RCGroups) that I post this in this forum on RCUniverse. I have joined and doing so here ...

I've contacted the AMA regards standing up a SIG for Flying Boats and Seaplanes. They responded with materials on registering one officially under AMA. Part of the requirement is to have a set of members already - of which the USA members must also be AMA members.

I am willing to do the stand-up and administrative work to get us started, and submit the SIG Request to AMA. This would be a virtual SIG, communicating through the internet. I can also stand up a website to hang off my personal site.

Please post your thoughts and discussions here. If there is enough interest, I'll move forward with requirements, admin, etc.

SO far I have about 12 from the other forum interested. The prototype website is: [link=http://www.penquinn.com/ama-sig/]The Aero-Nautica Group[/link]

Quinn
AMA #886663
Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 AM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AMA Special Interest Group (SIG) for Water-Planes?

Count me in! I don't know what kind of numbers you need for a SIG but you should easily get them on this forum. The internet is a wonderful thing.
Chip Mull
AMA#10264
Old 07-14-2007, 08:08 PM
Newc

What benefits accrue from being an SIG - other than saying that you are part of one?
Old 07-15-2007, 06:04 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Hi;Sounds interesting but not totaly clear as to what it accomplishes?Sounds good anyway!!!Especially if someone wants to do the work!
Old 07-15-2007, 11:58 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I am an AMA member and a dedicated float flyer. And I don't mind paying a few bucks extra for dues. Please give me a list of the benefits that a SIG would give me and also what it would do for us waterfliers as a group.

Jim
Old 07-16-2007, 12:48 PM
QuinnH

ORIGINAL: jrf
I am an AMA member and a dedicated float flyer. And I don't mind paying a few bucks extra for dues. Please give me a list of the benefits that a SIG would give me and also what it would do for us waterfliers as a group.
Jim
(Rather Long Post)
First, allow me to thank everyone for their interest and questions. Secondly, let me explain what I have in mind for a SIG associated with AMA.

Potential Bennefits:
[ul][*] Sharing special interest from several sources[*] Possible Points-of-Contact throughout the world[*] Promotion of Flying Boats and Seaplanes[*] Entitlement to all AMA events[*] Swap-n-Fly[*] Member Float Flies[*] All sorts of other benefits - based on what members desire
[/ul]
My vision is one of an international collective of like minded folks who have a special interest in RC aircraft that are configured for waterborne flying - this means planes on floats (traditionally called seaplanes), flying boats, etc. The idea is to benefit from each other (aside from the forums) and to benefit from sanctioning by AMA. The proposed organization would be whatever its charter members make it. I have no personal agenda, other than proposing such an organization. We would need a Charter, By-Laws, official membership, etc. The AMA requirements are listed below. There does not have to be a fee or money requirement of any kind, unless the members vote to substantiate funding for selected activities. This SIG will only be what you make it to be.

Here is the URL for the AMA Special Interest Groups:
[link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutama/sig.aspx]AMA Special Interest Groups[/link]

Please note that our SIG would be entitled to the very same benefits as those listed below. Other capabilities are also following that. As a group, we could participate in any AMA event, help organize, or even stand up our own, sanctioned competition, if so inclined. Alternatively, our SIG could operate solely as a societal group of special interest. The only hard requirement appears to be an annual registration with AMA, and that US resident members maintain AMA membership.

Here is a list of the current SIGs with AMA. Many organizations you may recognize.
[ul][*] IMAA - International Miniature Aircraft Assoc.[*] IMAC - International Miniature Aerobatic Club[*] IRCHA - International RC Helicopter Assoc.[*] JPO - Jet Pilot's Org.[*] LSF - League of Silent Flight[*] MACA - Miniature Aircraft Assoc.[*] MECA - Model Engine Collectors Assoc.[*] NASA - National Assoc. of Scale Aeromodelers[*] NCFFA - National Competition Fun Fly Assoc.[*] NCLRA - National Control Line Racing Assoc.[*] NEAC - National Electric Aircraft Council[*] NFFS - National Free Flight Society[*] NMPRA - National Miniature Pylon racing Assoc.[*] NSRCA - National Society of RC Aerobatics[*] NCS - National Carrier Society[*] NASS - North American Speed Society[*] PAMPA - Precision Aerobatics Model Pilots Assoc.[*] RCCA - RC Combat Assoc.[*] SPA - Senior Pattern Assoc.[*] SWRA - Scale Warbird Racing Assoc.[*] SAM - Society of Antique Modelers[*] USRA - Unlimited Scale Racing Assoc.[*] VR/CS - Vintage RC Society[*] WMWA - World Miniature Warbird Assoc.[/ul]
AMA Requirements:
[ol][*] Require continuing membership in AMA for each of its US resident members who fly. It is
the policy of the Academy of Model Aeronautics, Inc. that membership be available without
regard to race, color, creed, national origin, gender, age or disability.[*] Maintain a working set of By-Laws approved and accepted by its members. (Send a current
copy to AMA initially, then annually along with your renewal forms.)[*] Elect officers at least bi-annually by a ballot of its members.[*] Require annual renewal of its members.[*] Maintain a current membership list. (Send a current list to AMA initially, then annually
along with your renewal forms.)
[/ol]
For Sponsoring Competition Events (willing, but not required):
[ol][*] If the SIG involves competition events, is it willing to participate in events before Nationals,
during Nationals, or in Judging/Timing/Manpower.[*] Capable and willing to help in organizing and operating FAI Team Selection programs.[*] Willing to work with the appropriate contest boards and/or the AMA Executive Council in regulating your events.
[/ol]
Finally, I believe (but have to verify when I get home) that AMA does NOT require a registration fee. I'm sure they would accept donations, but no SIG registration fee that I am yet aware of.

Regards,

Quinn
Old 07-16-2007, 01:03 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your response. I don't see anything there that we don't already have at our local float flys, except maybe competitions, which I do not want to see, but I wish you the best of luck.

Jim
Old 07-16-2007, 04:29 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Can't most of that be done with a YAHOO group?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:08 PM
QuinnH

ORIGINAL: iflyj3

Can't most of that be done with a YAHOO group?
Yahoo Group? Sure - IF you want to put up with advertising banners, bots that cull email addresses for spam, Yahoo restrictions on metadata, administrative hassels, etc. Me? No, I'll pass on Yahoo - Been There, Done That.

I'm offering a free hosted site with numerous cababilities - chat rooms, mailing list, ftp, etc.

However, it may be a moot point in RC Universe, not much interest, except for one.

Regards All,

Quinn
Old 07-17-2007, 06:28 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Just thought I would ask, excuse please..
Old 07-20-2007, 10:22 AM
QuinnH

ORIGINAL: iflyj3

Just thought I would ask, excuse please..
iflyj3,

I apologize if my response sounded terse. Was not meant to be. Your question was a valid one - afterall, why should we complicate what could be very simple matters? The whole reason for this interst came up because i thought it would be nice if those who flew amphibian type RC aircraft, no matter what type, could bennefit from a special interest group that would be sponsored by AMA and afforded some privelges at AMA events. The virtual organization wasn't intended to be seperatist or elitest, but rather homogenous so we might share our interests, post our various events from around the world, and provide kinship and a source of contact.

Here in RC Universe, from the content of the above responses, there appears to be little interest, and indeed, a little suspicion. No matter, I have enough interested members from RCGroups to establish the SIG with AMA. So, I may go forward with it. It may not last longer than a year, then again, it may last several years - that is up to its members.

Regards to All,

Quinn