Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

What first seaplane?

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

What first seaplane?

Old 03-27-2003, 02:29 AM
aeropenguin
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What first seaplane?

I'm looking for an electric seaplane, not toooo expensive, that can do basic aerobatics easily, and runs on a motor that costs less then $50 and utilizes a 25A ESC without buring. Floats or have the fuse in the water, I don't care. I was thinking maybe a SIG (S400 size) Rascal on floats, an Aventura, or this other plane from Hobby Lobby called a Donald. What would you recomend? Big wingspan at low cost prefered (60 in max).
Oh Yeah, it has to be able to take off in something like 25-30 feet max.
Puddlemaster?

Thanx!
-aeroP
Old 03-27-2003, 03:52 AM
WeLaserCut

Default Ummm.

You were doing well right up the the part about taking off in 25-30 feet.
About the only electric that is going to get off the water in that distance is a parkflier or something with a bit more power than a $50 motor will provide.
A glider with floats might take off in that distance, but is still questionable.
Why the limit on the take off distance? If your pond is that small you better be darn good to land on it!
Old 03-27-2003, 04:32 AM
aeropenguin

yep, it's pretty small. I thought a 21oz thrust for a 25oz plane, it could ROW in 15 feet. If the plane flys reasonably slow, like say a regular parkflier, then I could land it fine. If that pond doesn't work out, theres this lake, and its really big, just that sometimes it has 1 foot waves. If I came when there was no wind, I think I could be okay. There, there's unlimited runway space. Now what planes are in my field of view?
Thanx!
-aeroP

P.S. "It"at the beginning of the Post refers to my SIG Rascal.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:01 PM
jetranger-RCU

Default Ace Puddle Master

I have one with 600 speed . Takes off in 20-30 feet flys good, cheap and 48 inch wing
Old 03-28-2003, 04:17 AM
aeropenguin

okay, I tried reeeeeeeeeealy hard; I can't find ONE place on the internet wwhere they sell a puddlemaster. Found personal pages, but NOWHERE where they sell them! Any help really appreciated!
Any feedback on a :
puddlemaster
aventura (1 or 2)
Donald (Donald 2 I believe)
Anything else...
Climate, you said I was doing great up until the short takeoff. What would you have said?

Thanx!
-aeroP
Old 03-28-2003, 01:56 PM
WeLaserCut

Default Planes

Any of the planes you mentioned are fine and all are good fliers.
Anything with a flat bottom or semi symetrical mid or high wing, with an area of 200-400 square inches should get off the water in 25-30 feet with enough power.
A brushless motor will give you a lot better performance but will cost you a bit more than $50.00
There was a plane made many years ago galled the Astro Sport that was great on floats. It flew with 6-8 cells and a standard .05. Something like this design would be a good choice.

Peter
Old 03-28-2003, 04:50 PM
aeropenguin

Climate, aargh, that's what I recomended, what specifically do you recomend? I couldn't find anything on your Astro Sport - and anything on the Donald, so how can you say that the D is good? I also could not find ONE place on he internet where they sell Puddle Masters; what's up?
Thanx!
-aeroP
Old 03-28-2003, 07:17 PM
aeropenguin

hmm, ther's also the RC microflight Pond Baby, and the Herr Engineering Aquastar. Put a hot 480 race in either, and wath some vertical water takeoffs !