Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Cheaper winter project ideas? plans or kit

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Cheaper winter project ideas? plans or kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheaper winter project ideas? plans or kit

I am currently in between jobs, have a kid on the way and some free time, and winter is coming to Minnesota, I am currently craving a winter project, preferably for a 60 size engine. I have not built anything major from plans before, but I feel confident about my abilities, I have built enough kits and such that I have enough abilities. I would prefer something that flies from the water, thus that is why I am posting here. Other then that I am interested in just about everything.

Thanks

Jon
Old 11-12-2007, 05:59 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Default RE: Cheaper winter project ideas? plans or kit

Northstar!!!
The funest plane you will ever own.-Jeffo,yes they do put .60 engines on them.Engine of choice is O.S.55
Old 11-12-2007, 06:34 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The North Star is a great seaplane but I wouldn't consider the kit cheap nor easy to build. The final result is a great airplane though. As far as cheap, I hate to say it but you can't build a kit for the price of some ARFs these days. Give us some more info as to your preferences to go by. WOuld you rather a trainer type, floats, seaplane, speed, 3D...???
Old 11-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Minnreefer

i have thought about the northstar, I was looking at the plans section in my latest magazine, saw a Dehavilland, thougth that might be a interesting plane, I have thought about the foam pbm, but I probably don't want to mess with foam this winter, I am looking for a project to putz with, I like to build stuff. I also have an old 20 size engine laying around. I am not an expert piliot by any means, but I will build something that i can't fly yet.

Thanks

jon
Old 11-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Carlos G

Hey Minn,

How about instead of plans try bashing a Kit. A Senior Kadet could be bashed into a DH-2 Beaver on floats. A .60 on a Kadet Bashed Beaver would give good performance off the water and have plenty of Zip off land.

Just a suggestion for the winter building season

Carlos G
AKA
BaronVonEvil
Old 11-13-2007, 11:48 PM
Minnreefer

ORIGINAL: Carlos G

Hey Minn,

How about instead of plans try bashing a Kit. A Senior Kadet could be bashed into a DH-2 Beaver on floats. A .60 on a Kadet Bashed Beaver would give good performance off the water and have plenty of Zip off land.

Just a suggestion for the winter building season

Carlos G
AKA
BaronVonEvil
Sounds interesting, I would have to do some research on that, I assume that when you say bash, you mean modify the kit into somehting else, similiar but still different?

Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 AM
captjckirk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Carlos, if you are suggesting the stick built Kadet Sr. it is a lot of sticks, I've build 5 thru the years. I would recomend the Sig LT-40 with Planefun floats. It could be bashed into the DH. It is a great flying plane with floats, I have a Mag. 46xls and have ample power. As a first floater you can't go wrong with it, just a suggestion. Joe
Old 11-16-2007, 06:55 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

I bashed a Senior Telemaster to look something like a Beaver. For reasons completely unknown to me I am pictured with it on page 122 of the December RCReport.
In color, it looked like this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96275.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	805240