Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Anyone had problem landing a one sided water rudder?(rudder on one float)

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Anyone had problem landing a one sided water rudder?(rudder on one float)

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 PM
q8cub

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone had problem landing a one sided water rudder?(rudder on one float)

I have been flying my 10 years old hangar 9 80 inch wingspan cub which has a four stroke 70 os engine on the beach for 3 years now. I used to fly it without a water rudder. Just this year, I installed a water rudder to enjoy bringing it back after a landing against the sea breeze( air speed at around 15-20 km/hr).

However, I noticed that during landing, and as soon as the floats touch the water, the model snap rolls to the side of the float which has the water rudder installed (in my case it is the left float, and the plane snap rolls to the left). The faster the landing, the less frequent this happens though as I noticed. I didnt think that the one sided water rudder will have a drag effect but it seems it does.

Has anyone faced such a landing problem with one sided water rudder installed? And any remedies to overcome it? Maybe a right rudder as soon as it hits water ?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-26-2007, 04:19 PM
arobatx

Default RE: Anyone had problem landing a one sided water rudder?(rudder on one float)

I use only one rudder (right side) on my H9 80inch cub, lands fine. Hmmmmmmmm ?!?!?!

Have a picture?

Chad
Old 11-26-2007, 04:26 PM
q8cub

Default RE: Anyone had problem landing a one sided water rudder?(rudder on one float)

Thanks for the reply.

I will try to post pictures and will even try to capture a picture of it while landing with this problem if it happens again.

I am not sure 100% if this is caused by using only one water rudder. But it seems like it has been doing this since I installed the rudder. It might be due to cross wind landing as I sometimes land with the wind hitting at a slight angle (wind is facing the model at a 45% angle).
Old 11-26-2007, 04:35 PM
arobatx

I've flown my cub with a set of floats that had dual water rudders, as well as another set with only one. I've never seen the plane react as you describe when the little rudder (or rudders) hits the water.

Chad
Old 11-26-2007, 04:54 PM
khelsea

Is your rudder linkage flexing? If it has a leading edge like the rudder on the sig floats I could see wereit could deflect on landing and shoot the plane sideways. Lanny
Old 11-26-2007, 04:56 PM
arobatx

yup....pictures will help a lot here.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:59 PM
q8cub

I am not sure what you meant but when it is let lose, it will hang pointing down, and when it is on water it flips 90 degrees with its edge facing back.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:19 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope. I never used but one and that has never been a problem. Don't land crosswind.
Maybe your WR is out of alignment???
Old 11-26-2007, 08:08 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got 4 float planes with single rudders and I've never had a problem !!!! I agree with Jim. ENJOY !!! RED
Old 11-26-2007, 10:14 PM
JRickey

I wonder if you are side slipping till the floats touch making the plane roll
Old 11-26-2007, 10:38 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

My son used to land our H9 cub dragging the water rudder thru the surface of the lake for about 50 to 100' before the floats touched.......no problems at all.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:24 AM
simhatus

Hi

I have had planes that have had a tendancy to do that, i don't genrally have a water rudder i think its if one float touches the water slightly before the other one or is set at a different angle to the other.

This could happen on any plane with 2 floats occasionally but if it happens reguarly realine the floats.

Simon
Old 11-27-2007, 11:04 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Try this test: Push back on the nose of the left float and watch the water rudder. If the float moves backward and the rudder linkage is not moving with it, the rudder will be deflected.

Jim
Old 11-28-2007, 06:15 PM
jmupilot

All but my electric Slo-Stik have a water rudder on them. Never had that problem, are you holding a little rudder for tracking in the air just before touching down? Maybe the water rudder is deflected a little on touch down, and that is causing your problem. It dont take a lot of rudder deflection at flying speed to really get aggressive turns on the water. Also, I like what jrf said too.

Pete