Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Overloaded Telemaster?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Overloaded Telemaster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2002, 11:53 AM
eagle 01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overloaded Telemaster?

Been upset with my telemaster,77"wing believe that is the one they call the 40 says 2000 on wing.Has a old max 60 in it seems to run good.Thought maybe engine was no good,finally bought one of those nice Rapala fish scales.The thing weigh slightly over 13Lbs I have a Goldberg Cub same set up floats etc it only weighs 10Lbs.The cub is a lot lighter built than the Telemaster too.Isn't it probably just to heavy for a 60?Bought it used so don't know anything of the history and not that experienced with floats and the requirements for them.Tried Casey's idea of little more incidence may have helped a little but still takes lot of lake to get off also has flat bottom floats don't know if this pretains to anything.No way to lighten it onhly thing would be a bigger motor have a new 61FX whether that would be that much better than this old 60SR,Probably needs a 90?Thanmks for any thoughts you might have on this.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:35 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked HobbyLobby's site, and they do not publish a weight for the Telemaster 40. (2000=2 meter wingspan), and they sell a .45 to power it.

I weighed my Senior Telemaster, with Floats, onboard Glo, 1100 mah battery pack, 5 standard servos, and an OS91FS, and it weighs 10 pounds.

At 13 pounds, you should have approximately 2 telemaster 40s.

The flat-bottom floats probably help your takeoff, because they get up on plane quickly. I use v-bottom floats because they don't skip as much when I land.

Ray Smith here in our club has a heavy airplane, (The Lead Sled) and he uses the flaperons dropped about 15 degrees for takeoff. If you have, or can install, dual aileron servos, you could try doing this.

You could put a .90 in it, but Telemasters are about being slow and floaty. At 13+ pounds with a .90, all you'll do is scream around the sky. I bet you have to fly nearly wide open with the .60.

If it was mine, I'd give it a Viking funeral, or sell it to a bar as a decoration-then build something else.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:54 PM
eagle 01

Probably good advice there Jim,have already done that to another dog my Sea Dancer running out of planes.Guess when I bought it the guy said it wasn't actually a stunt plane,realize how correct he was.Beginners have to learn and I always figure the best way is get in there but sometimes costly.As you said a 90 would probably be to big for it.It does have flaps only I don't know how to use them if had it flying for a while could learn that.The other side it is a very nicely,if heavily built plane.Just about ready to leave for Yuma where float flying isn't as big a thing.THinking could take off floats would probably reduce weight couple lbs and not have to get off water it might fly better?Thinking could switch to something like the Max60fx which mght have a little more power than this HB61 has and in something lighter as it does run very nice.What about using something like a 4-stroke 70-80 type engine wouldn't have much more weight but would have more power?Thanks much for the imput.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:57 PM
eagle 01

Guess didn't mention here thought it was a old OS60 but is something called an HB61 from germany.Doesn't sound like people think it is to good an engine either.
Old 09-18-2002, 03:59 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you decide to sell it, Advertise the HB on EBAY and you'll be AMAZED how much you get. HBs have a cult following. They were quite good engines. Powerful for the time, and very well made, German craftsmanship.
I must confess to having 2 .15s and a .25 HB myself. I bought the .25 new, and bought the .15s last year for more than they cost when new.

I didn't say I was smart.....
Old 11-21-2002, 07:43 PM
boothg

Default HB61

i have six hb 61,s all great engines and i still fly them