Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Looking for a float plane

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Looking for a float plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 11:03 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Looking for a float plane

Many of you know I have a few already and have the experience to fly them.

I'm looking for a plane to take and keep in the Bahamas. I visit there a couple times a year for a week at a time. I have the perfect place to fly and want to take something over. It should be;

ARF so I spend my time flyin, not building.

Come in a relatively small box, I have to check it onto the plane or carry it.

Ideally something that I could removed the motor, ESC if equiped, battery if LiPo, and reciever and take them home with me so I can use them in other planes while not in the Bahamas.

Not require much fuel if fuel powered. I'll have to carry any glow fuel in my baggage and since it's illegal to carry flamable fluids it'll have to be in small amounts. A .25 would be about as big as I could carry fuel for. LiPo powered electrics might be better. Gasoline is available but then you have a large airplane/ boxes.

Be all around fun. I have old timers on floats which would be a great type of plane for lazy day flying. I also have fun fly 3-D'ers on floats which can be flown slow or wild, may be the best all around choice. I also have a Northstar and a twinkle or a small Northstar would be fun too but the box for one would be larger for a delta. Something like a PBY or flying boat would be good but the choices are limited, especialy ARF.

Sooo, any recommendations? Right now I'm leaning towards a smaller electric 3-D'er like a Brio on floats. Not sure which floats yet though. Also considering a Quaker flash on floats with electric or a .15, a smaller version of the attached photo. I could build it here to the stage of an ARF and assemble it there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67482.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	857941  
Old 01-22-2008, 11:19 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Looking for a float plane

Here is what you want:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=917

I have absolutely fallen in love with this little beauty. In fact, several of the guys that I let fly it now have their own.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:28 AM
siddus74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im lovin the quaker flash idea - ever considered building a Junior 60? We have a couple at out club, people lovum!
Old 01-22-2008, 01:45 PM
evan-RCU

Mike, I thought about the little Seawind but I've seen so many people have problems with the big one I didn't think much about it. What else do you guys fly from water?

Sid, do you have a pic of the Junior 60? The Quaker is an unbelievable float plane, in fact it's a great wheeled plane.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:13 PM
siddus74

I dont have any pictures, but will make a point of taking some next time for sure . . .
Old 01-22-2008, 06:17 PM
traxxboy

If you can get your hands on one hobby lobby twin aventura. ot never flow one but what about one of these......http://sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.ex...FV4.html?E+Sig
Old 01-22-2008, 06:23 PM
traxxboy

whoops Its under aircraft arf-sport models very bottom. rc system sea eagle.

http://shop.pigs-airlines.be/catalog...f892bf718cd537
Old 01-22-2008, 09:31 PM
Crash-RCU

Evan, the Seawind EP flys a whole lot better than the big one. The difference is like nite and day. Useing the same construction on the little one and making it the size of the big one it would be about half the weight of the big one, hence the difference in flying quality.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:30 PM
fozjared

or you could go gas and have a big one that would really thrill, all you have to do is get the arf of whatever larger plane you might want, then ship it to the bahamas before you go, i think dhl services the bahamas, don't know who else might ship there, maybe ups fedex and usps, i don't know, but i am almost certain that dhl does.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:58 PM
evan-RCU

The problem with shipping it is then customs gets their mitts on it and there's a hell of a tax. Carrying it I can play poor tourist....

Tower has a great deal on a 105" Beaver with matching floats. It'd take a US41 or G38 really nice. Bad thing is that I don't want to have something sitting there like that. I think the little Seawind is the way to go...

Thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 09:31 AM
jimsp

You could try my conversion of the $24 Wasp from Hobby People to a Sea Wasp. It’s a very good flyer and takes off easily. I’ve made take offs with it in conditions where some bigger glow powered planes floundered. It will also handle the wind. I successfully flew it off snow at our clubs new years day event in very windy conditions. The wing is a two piece design so you could break it down into a fairly small package. If you do go with the two piece wing I would use a stronger wing joiner then the one supplied.

Name:	Fd93446.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	858865  
Old 01-27-2008, 01:38 PM
RIVEYMAN

SIG KADET MK 2 WORKS WELL

Name:	Pn35749.jpg