Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Plane to start with.

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Plane to start with.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 07:29 PM
screamindemon69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane to start with.

those look like great planes. what's the difference between a floatplane and a seaplane? is it just the interior construction?
Old 04-18-2003, 07:44 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A floatplane is a landplane that has had its wheels replaced with floats.(Or in rare cases, a single float, with outriggers)

A seaplane is a flying boat. The float/ hull is the fuselage

Since the hull is on/in the water, the trend is for seaplanes to ingest more water than floatplanes
Old 04-18-2003, 07:48 PM
screamindemon69

i'm trying to imagine one but i'm having trouble, i'm picturing a speedboat with wings (weird!) does anyone have a picture of a seaplane?
Old 04-18-2003, 08:01 PM
JimCasey

These am "seaplanes". Kadet Seniors on floats pictured earlier are "floatplanes"

Old 04-18-2003, 11:55 PM
screamindemon69

OOOH AAAAAH!!!! nice pics. i see what you mean. i'd go with the float plane. It looks like it'd last a lot longer. does one fly better than the other? the seaplane has the prop up above the rest of the plane. any difference?
Old 04-19-2003, 01:08 AM
JimCasey

>>i'd go with the float plane. It looks like it'd last a lot longer. does one fly better than the other?>the seaplane has the prop up above the rest of the plane. any difference?
Old 04-19-2003, 07:15 PM
screamindemon69

are the floats really expensive? i saw a guy today who had landing gear that retracted from the floats.
Old 04-19-2003, 09:29 PM
Siskiyouline

Default Floats

There are many different floats available. They range from inexpensive styrofoam to wood and fiberglass. Here is a link to one of the companies that makes them -

http://www.espritmodel.com/accesories_floats.html

Most all of the major kit companies sell floats - Goldberg, Sig, Balsa USA, etc. I think you get the picture. You need to figure out which type of float you need for your plane. Jim Casey's web page has links to different sites that can help you with figuring out which floats you need for your plane.

Bud
Old 04-20-2003, 06:45 AM
McGuiver

"those look like great planes. what's the difference between a float-plane and a seaplane? is it just the interior construction?"
screamindemon69

"A float-plane is a land-plane that has had its wheels replaced with floats.(Or in rare cases, a single float, with outriggers)"
A seaplane is a flying boat. The float/ hull is the fuselage
Jim Casey

I feel Jim has it half right.(Sorry Jim)
A float plane is an aircraft that is supported by one or more pontoons. eg: Beaver,J-3 Cub,DC-3,Kingfisher

A Flying Boat is an aircraft that takes off and lands on its hull/fuselage. eg: Goose,Mallard,SeaBee

A Seaplane is an aircraft(Float plane or Flying boat) that is operated from a Ocean/Sea/salt water environment, as well as a generic term to describe all water borne aircraft.
Old 04-20-2003, 05:01 PM
screamindemon69

There are many different floats available. They range from inexpensive styrofoam to wood and fiberglass.
-Siskiyouline

wouldn't wood floats add a lot of weight (after taking off and landing) from absorbing water? I think i'll go with the styrofoam unless anyone objects. I'm going defend Jim, why does it matter where you fly a seaplane? to borrow from shakespeare, "If a rose were called by any other name would it not smell as sweet?" would a seaplane flown in a lake still be a seaplane. I'm sorry if it seems like i'm pounding you McGuiver, i'm not trying to sound like an a**hole i just don't see much of a difference between what Jim said and what you said.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:31 PM
JimCasey

I am a proponent of Styrofoam floats.

Wood floats are not "supposed" to absorb a lot of water 'cause they are supposed to be sealed.

Styrofoam floats are usually wood-skinned. They have to be sealed, too. The beauty of it is that if you land on a turtle, you're not gonna rupture a styroam float and sink, but you might with an all-wood float.

Fiberglass floats are another alternative, but if they get holed, there's still the potential for the entire contents of the Florida Aquifer to get inside. Foam floats can be skinned with fiberglass, and the amout of absorbable water drops to "not very much".

Foam won't sink. They call them "Floats" , not "Sinks". They should be foam. THe skin is just to keep the foam from getting damaged.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:15 AM
Cdallas2

Not to mention that foam floats (even skinned with balsa) weigh at least half as much.

I've used both kinds and once you seal them with epoxy neither will soak up any water.

I've heard of people covering them with ultracote/monokote but I think That's just a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 04-21-2003, 12:59 AM
screamindemon69

well i guess that no one objects to my wanting to use styrofoam. the reason i asked about a wood absorbing water is because i saw a guy who posted a video (in the crash forum) who's plane almost sunk because of a flooded float.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:08 AM
Siskiyouline

Default Type of floats

The choice of what type of float to use is totally up to you. I use all the above types (glass, wood, foam) plus I also have a set of ABS plastic floats. Admitted I've not used the plastic floats yet as they are of 2 - piece construction (top and bottom). I don't like the way they were designed. There again a matter of preference.

I use the wood and glass floats because I feel they will take a little more abuse. Lots of debris in the water here and the occasional beaching of the plane I also fly off of snow in the winter.

Bud
Old 04-21-2003, 04:54 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

Hey Jim,

Your middle pic on your flying boats page looks a lot like a Sea Cruiser. Is that the 20 size? Here's mine.

I like my Sea Cruiser. I think it's great, but I think the best way to start float flying is with Styrofoam floats on a trainer. I think the Flyin' King should be perfect for floats.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	72556_21443.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	42849  
Old 04-21-2003, 05:07 PM
JimCasey

Yep, It belongs to our club president, and this particular one is a .40-size. Seacruisers are WAAY cool, and it's very sad that they are out of production. I'm getting a set of plans so I can do my part to preserve the species.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Goinstraightup

Jim,
I thought so. Mine is 40 size too. It was seeing a 20 size fly that convinced me to get one. I was flying a Kadet MKII on foam floats and a buddy was flying the 20 size. We were chasing each other doing "Splash and Go's". It flys great, even with plain bearing 40 power. It gets in the air real fast. The plane is based on the old Ken Willard design called the Kittywake. Something else that really impresses me, is that there is no pitch change with different power settings. I've heard that some pylon mounted planes are prone to this. You will be happy with yours.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:33 PM
JimCasey

I agree with what you said except the reference to the Kittiwake.
(1) the SeaCruiser was in the Tower catalog years before the KW came out.
(2) The KW was a floatplane with single float and wingtip sponsons. >20 size, tapered wings. It looked for all the world like a little bitty Kaos. I had one. I was never very successful with it as a floatplane, but I put wheels on it and it was a hoot.
I have plans for the KW, 'cause I never throw out a set of plans.
Old 04-21-2003, 06:47 PM
Goinstraightup

I think somebody spoofed me, and showed me a SC 20 and called it a Kittiwake. The plane this guy called a KW was a flying boat with sponsons just like the SC and a triple tail.

I never knew it was in Tower too. Neat info. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:37 PM
screamindemon69

I have plans for the KW, 'cause I never throw out a set of plans.
-JimCasey
I had the plans to the same plane but can't find them. grrrrrrr. i should get more organized. i never did get around to building the plane though. i got them off the net. (used google)
Old 04-22-2003, 02:37 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I would recommend Gee Bee floats. I know a lot of you don't like them but I have had great luck with mine. I have three sets and can transfer them easily from plane to plane (and helicopter). They come built and are very easy to mount using formed aluminum landing gears. For $35 you might as well try them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	72839_4404.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	42850  
Old 04-22-2003, 07:34 PM
screamindemon69

they look plastic. i haven't seen many plastic floats before, but i guess it makes sence.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:00 PM
Sawyer692-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

They are plastic, no building required

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ290&P=7
Old 04-23-2003, 01:38 AM
screamindemon69

are they hollow? they seem like they would be flimsy without haveing anything in the center. but what do i know as long as it works for you, who am i to question them.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:15 AM
high in da sky

I have a 20 size trainer that has been stirpped. is there any floats out there that would fit this trainer its a 20 size hobbico supperstar.

Also when should I fly if the lake neat me (lake geneva, Wi.)is quite busy. should I just get up at water skying time(6 am) to go flying?

As for a retrieval boat, I no longer have my boat docked at this lake but would I be able to carry the plane on my waverunner?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.