Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Noorduyn Norseman on Floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Noorduyn Norseman on Floats

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Oregon Craig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Noorduyn Norseman on Floats

I've been thinking lately that I would rather have something at least a bit more scale-like on floats. I don't even like the way that ultra stick flies - or lands like a rock most times. Some of that is me, obviously, but it also just does not float in like a real airplane should and kiss the water. Maybe a cub or cessna on floats, maybe just a trainer that I finish out to look more like a real airplane. I have a .72 Saito looking for a home. Now, that being said, I think we should get some of the guys together and informally fly down at Roslyn this spring until it goes away. I'll bring the stick, maybe I can finally master landing it more realistically before I retire it. What do you think? Who has a cheap inflatable raft? I'm in. We may have to contend with fisherman, but I honestly don't know if they stocked the lake this year or not. Possibly not.
See ya later.
Old 04-24-2008, 02:56 PM
jiott

N70R:
J3 Cubs look real nice on floats if you do a scale like job of mounting the floats. I think the Goldberg or the Hanger 9 Cub would be just right for your Saito. The Goldberg is a little smaller than the H9 and might be the best fit for the Saito. Both those planes fly beautifully. I used to have a Goldberg Cub on wheels never did put floats on it, but a lot of guys do and seem to be very happy with them.

I have been flying my Norseman at Roslyn Lake several times this spring. There is still plenty of water and very few fishermen. The lake was NOT stocked this year. I hear it will be drained about the first of June. I have a small plastic raft with paddles, no oars. Its a great place as long as its not windy the wind seems to swirl and tumble and is very difficult to fly in. On good days I usuall arrive there about 10:30 AM on Saturday and fly for several hours. Let me know when you can make it. I will be out of town this weekend.

Jim
Old 05-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Oregon Craig

I sent you a RCUniverse PM Jim. This weekend isn't looking too bad weather forecast-wise, at least from a Thursday point of view.
I also have a wheeled airplane that I want to take to the regular field Saturday. Either would be fun for me.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:26 AM
HornetFitter
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jiott

N70R:
J3 Cubs look real nice on floats if you do a scale like job of mounting the floats. I think the Goldberg or the Hanger 9 Cub would be just right for your Saito. The Goldberg is a little smaller than the H9 and might be the best fit for the Saito. Both those planes fly beautifully. I used to have a Goldberg Cub on wheels never did put floats on it, but a lot of guys do and seem to be very happy with them.

I have been flying my Norseman at Roslyn Lake several times this spring. There is still plenty of water and very few fishermen. The lake was NOT stocked this year. I hear it will be drained about the first of June. I have a small plastic raft with paddles, no oars. Its a great place as long as its not windy the wind seems to swirl and tumble and is very difficult to fly in. On good days I usuall arrive there about 10:30 AM on Saturday and fly for several hours. Let me know when you can make it. I will be out of town this weekend.

Jim
I am just about to maiden this one... I love it! It was a real pleasure to build. THere is just something about building an airplane that has so much history behind it...It's like you can feel it. You know, a couple friends heading in to their hunting camp in the fall to kick back and relax, or just a pleasurable way to spend a couple hours, flying over the lakes and then setting down on one to try a bit of fishing.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:34 AM
jiott

I plan to be at Roslyn Lake tomorrow, Saturday, about 10:00 AM on the dike just off TenEyck Road. Can't do afternoon, just morning.

Jim
Old 05-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Oregon Craig

I will plan the same thing then. I was goingto fly somewhere anyway. I am on call for work, so I am only about 99% sure to be there.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Oregon Craig

Hey Hornet, that's beautiful man. I saw it in the other thread. I am seriously considering that exact combo for next season, not right now. Let us know how it goes when the ice all melts! I already have the Saito .72.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Oregon Craig

Well, Jim and I exchanged email addresses, so we won't need to use this thread to plan our flying. But, as an update, we met up today (Saturday) and it was quite an awesome day. Not exactly warm or sunny, but pleasant with 0 trace of any wind. The lake looked like a mirror. We had a blast. The Norseman has me motivated to have a better float plane soon. The stick actually made me smile today though. With a trim flight and some practice, I don't hate it as much as I used to.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40950.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	942098  
Old 01-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Swedish Tripacer

Hallo from Sweden
Can any one help me find plans of Noorduyn Norseman in giant scale. I know the plan from Vintage R/C allready. But I want bigger.

Regards Hans Eriksson
Old 01-31-2011, 09:57 AM
Otter Guy

im going to need a nice norseman as well, ive already got a nice beaver to try out, and an otter taking shape, and a goldberg cub on floats. i put a saito 56 on mine and it flies very nicely, im very happy with it, thinking of trying tieing a mini boat to it. with a 72 i would imagine you could just about tie a real one to it! i see the 72 is a popular choice, but for anyone curious, the 56 is more than enough, performs very nicely.