Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Hangar 9 cub 80" on Hangar 9 floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Hangar 9 cub 80" on Hangar 9 floats

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:46 PM
grizwald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar 9 cub 80" on Hangar 9 floats

What do you guys think of this combination with a saito 82 under the cowl.
I have read good things about this plane but very few have put hangar 9 floats
on it why? I would think since they were made for this plane they would be perfect.
Also I am new to float flying and would like your comments on this setup, how stable
for a new to floats guy. It was and still is a toss-up between this 1/5 cub or the hangar 9
1/4 scale cub with the gas engine and floats.Your comment on these planes would
greatly be appreciated Lou.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Falcon6667

Default RE: Hangar 9 cub 80" on Hangar 9 floats

Do you have the 82? Iwould put the new g-20 on the 1/5,,,an might even put it on the 1/4...If i picked it would be the 1/4 scale with a g-26. My 1/4 scale sig on floats was great!
Falcon
Old 02-05-2008, 09:07 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

The hanger 9 floats are new, probably very few people have them at this point - and it ain't exactly float flying weather in many areas..

The 80" cub has been around a long time, and it is a fantastic flying plane. A 70 size 4 stroke is ideal..enough power to handle floats and some aerobatics if you are inclined. You should be okay with the 82 (A G-20 is way to heavy - got one of those too..). I had 3 different engines on my 80" cub - a saito 56, an OS 70, and a Saito 91. The OS 70 was the best. The 91 had too much torque, was too heavy, and too thirsty.. The cub did not fly very well with it up front, so the 70 went back in......

Have fun with it!!

[img] http://www.fubarhill.com/images/2cubs.JPG [/img]
Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Falcon6667

I would have not thought that, i got a g-20 a year or so back when they first came out an put it on a protege, it was a great match with floats it would be fine. i have a 1/5 scale cub from great planes it would handle the g-20 with no problem. but i like to over power stuff..good luck with whatever you do..happy flying
Falcon
Old 02-06-2008, 10:18 AM
grizwald

Hi Wayne22 the motor size I was going to put into this cub if I decide to get it would
have been a saito 72 not the 82. How did you mount yours inverted with the muffler coming
out of the bottom?? I am still undecided about the size, the smaller 80" cub is nice but I
am thinking about the future and I would really like to go with a gas engine so the 1/4
scale cub PNP with the floats seems just perfect. Anyway I still have a few months to think
about it, Its still winter here until mid may.javascript:void(AddText('[:\-]',''))
javascript:void(AddText('[:\-]',''))
Old 02-07-2008, 01:44 PM
arobatx

I have the 80" with hangar 9 floats, very nice plane. I run a YS .63 in mine, inverted with a 13x6 APC prop. The floats were ultracote covered, which I didn't like. So i stripped em, filled em, glassed and painted them. I found the rigging to be right on. The cub sits idle in the water perfectly, tracks and taxis great and requires no trim between water and land flying setups. I too am interested in the 1/4 scale, but I cannot see giving up my little one. I think the G20 is just enough smaller that it fits inside the 1/4 scale cub the best. I've seen a couple pictures of some with g26s in em, inverted and to me there was too much engine poking out, and the additional power of the 26 simply isn't necessary.

Chad
Old 02-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Wayne22

Hi Wayne22 the motor size I was going to put into this cub if I decide to get it would
have been a saito 72 not the 82. How did you mount yours inverted with the muffler coming
out of the bottom?? I am still undecided about the size, the smaller 80" cub is nice but I
am thinking about the future and I would really like to go with a gas engine so the 1/4
scale cub PNP with the floats seems just perfect. Anyway I still have a few months to think
about it, Its still winter here until mid may.
I mounted mine sideways, with the exhaust pointing down and back. I have a quarter scale cub (well, actually I have two..) with a G-20ei in it. I'm going to put this one on floats if I ever get them built....but, like you, I have 4 more months of winter left.....
Old 04-21-2008, 12:26 PM
HornetFitter

ORIGINAL: Wayne22

about it, Its still winter here until mid may.
I mounted mine sideways, with the exhaust pointing down and back. I have a quarter scale cub (well, actually I have two..) with a G-20ei in it. I'm going to put this one on floats if I ever get them built....but, like you, I have 4 more months of winter left.....
Do you have any advice on rigging the throttle cable? I just put a Saito 72 in my new H9 Cub and I am looking for suggestions and or pictures.
(BTW, I worked on your avitar picture~ Hornet 188907 for 7 years)
Cheerz,
Dave
Old 04-21-2008, 02:49 PM
PeterC

Just for the record, I have a KMP Husky (80" wingspan) with a OS 90 FS mounted inverted. It's a great set up in that very little of the engine sticks out, just the exhaust pipe and the valve cover. I have lots of power with a 14 X 6 MAS and the old engine provides most of the nose weight I need to make her balance. The inverted engine starts and runs great. The only problem is that if I idle too long while the tank is full it begins to load up. After a few minutes of running to burn off some fuel the idle is great. Floats are Great Planes FG built for the Tiger Moth.
Peter
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us52691.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	934092  
Old 04-21-2008, 06:08 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Wayne the .72 is way plenty, for any kind of flying you want. I have the older H-9 80" Cub, with Great Planes kit-built floats, total weight of plane and floats is 11 pounds. It will fly at 1/3 throttle with a .72 Saito, and I have gotten 30 minute flights with a 12 oz tank. An .82 will certainly work, but is much more than you need. A .62 would do the trick and still have reserve power. I have my .72 mounted inverted. I put an on-board glow driver on it but rarely use it except to start the plane, as the glow plug is aggravating to get to, trying to reach through the L.G. struts and floats and not saw my arm off with the prop.

If you want to go large, the 1/4 scale is certainly fun off the water. We float fly at a friend's house during the summer, and there are usually 5 or 6 Cubs there every time, from a little .20 size, to a 1/4 scale with a G-38 (tell me he don't have enough power ) It can get rather confusing with all of us up at once, all but one is yellow with silver floats.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk24922.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	934211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57662.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	49.1 KB
ID:	934212  
Old 04-28-2008, 01:38 AM
HornetFitter

Here is the Cubster on H9 floats...
I think that in 3 or so weeks we might have some open water to give it a try...

Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
HornetFitter

Kool!
Tried and tested by one who tests... Heh heh... I feel foolish now that the light bulb just came on and I know who I am talking to...

I did'nt know you had a Cub. I just bought one myself (H9 with floats and wheels) and I just have to install the rx pacck and set up the throws. Looking to maiden it soon. Are you interested?
Cheerz,
Dave
HornetFitter