Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Dazzler on floats?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Dazzler on floats?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:59 AM
flytahoe43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dazzler on floats?

Hey guys! Is there anything from stopping a great planes dazzler .40 size from flying with floats?
Old 02-15-2008, 07:11 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dazzler on floats?

Fun-Fly planes usually work very well on floats. Hi T/W ratio, large control surfaces....really make it easy for the plane to carry floats. You might even use narrower floats since the plane is so light. Planefun floats will cut narrow ones if you aren't making your own.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:55 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No.... off water or snow, it flies very well....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86544.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	879122  
Old 02-15-2008, 12:18 PM
flytahoe43

O that's awesome!!! Ive only had a neptune seaplane, never one with floats though. Iv had this dazzler for years now, and a buddy decided to step on the rear end so it is time for a rebuild.
What is the best way to start this process? Is there a guide to picking the right size floats? How do you scratch build?
Ive also been seeing different post on putting the step under the C.G. and so on.

Thanks for the help! I cant wait to start.

O and what are the opinions of OVER powering a .40 size plane such as the Dazzler.
Is too much weight in the front going to give me the same characteristics as a real plane?
Im talkin a .75 on a little 40size?

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:57 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A .75 won't do anything for this airplane but make it a handfull. A .46 is perfect or at most a .55.

I have the smaller GeeBee floats from Tower on mine, I've used them on many .40 size airplanes with good results. many people don't say good things about them but I have had at least one airplane on them at any time since 1976. I've probably had 6 or 7 pairs and at least 10 different airplanes on them.

The Dazzler is a great plane on them, you can do circles on the beach, run down into the water, take off, do touch and go's on the beach and just abuse the things like you can't with any other wood or fiberglass floats.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Ed_Moorman

I am flying an Uproar on floats. The Uproar is about the same plane as the Dazzler without the turtledeck and with the goofy shaped ailerons. Mine doesn't have them. I am using Plane Fun foam floats and U-Can-Do landing gear for struts. I added a 1/4 ply plate behind the wing for the rear strut mount.

The spreaders are black, fiberglass pushrods I had.

Power is a Saito .56 with a 12-6 prop. You shouldn't need a .75 as the Dazzler and Uproar are pretty light to begin with.

I did add a small sub fin as many of my seaplanes need a little added fin area after the floats have been added.

I am using an Ernst water rudder I ordered from Tower. The servo is in the fuaelage with a Sullivan cable pushrod running down to it.

Your Dazzler will be a great flying seaplane with any .46-.55 in it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33177.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	879484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74865.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	879485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11347.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	879486   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur51959.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	879487  
Old 02-15-2008, 08:20 PM
JimCasey

>>What is the best way to start this process? Is there a guide to picking the right size floats? How do you scratch build?
I've also been seeing different post on putting the step under the C.G. and so on.
<<

These are what we call "Frequently Asked Questions. Perhaps this link will help.

[link=http://www.smilesandwags.com/Floatsite/FAQ.html]Jim's float site[/link]

How do you scratch-build? If you built the kit, you got plans. Dust them off, pin them to a genuinely flat table, cover them with waxed paper, and cut sticks to be juuuust like on the drawing. Find somebody in your club and he will walk you thru it. It's not that hard. If you have no plans, lay the broken parts on a piece of butcher paper or posterboard on the table and trace around the shape that it's supposed to be. Use a ruler.

You may just be able to repair the sticks. Glue the fragments carefully back together, and glue another stick to the back of the patch.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:57 PM
flytahoe43

Thanx fellas! Im going to get on it and ill post some pics as the project progresses