Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Water Rudder Question

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Water Rudder Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 07:44 AM
secret_squirrel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Rudder Question

I have been looking through the forums to see if there is a preference on which float to mount the water rudder. Does it matter if it is mounted on the left or the right float.

TIA,

Dan
Old 03-08-2008, 10:55 AM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: Water Rudder Question

Hmm, good question Dan. I have 3 float planes, one with the water rudder on the left float, one on the right float, and one with no water rudder. I really can't see or feel any difference when flying either one of the planes with the water rudders, so I guess it's just a matter of preference or scale.

Russ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80558.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	897695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30004.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	897696  
Old 03-08-2008, 12:24 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's my logic. It has worked for me.

I put the WR on the left float.
If the WR is making any drag in the water it will be necessary to add right rudder to counteract the left drag.
It's frequently necessary to add a jab of right rudder anyway just after takeoff, so you're already there and not crossed-up.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:56 PM
The Bluehead

I put them on both of the pontoons on my PT-60. Does a great job, but to keep it simple, I rigged it with a 2-56 rod between the two. Uses one pontoon mounted servo hooked to a Y harness. A bit ungainly, but very quick to switch from floats to wheels to skiis. I have a Balsa USA 1/4 scale cub that I will build as a strait float plane. But that is another summer away.

Name:	Tr51945.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	897770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23287.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	897771  
Old 03-08-2008, 05:23 PM
secret_squirrel

I was only curious because in the great planes instructions for their float in the monting with servo section it says after you install the servo this is now your right float. for ibstalation without a servo it doesn't differentiate.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:50 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have them on three float planes, I put them all on the right one but don't really have a reason...
Old 03-17-2008, 10:06 PM
robyn

Russ
I've question for u , I just build a sig something extra but I'm thinking that is going to be a little heavy do u have an idea which could be the weight on this plane with floats..???[][] Robyn
Old 03-18-2008, 07:40 PM
rslstft

Robyn,
Sorry to say, I had a Something Extra a long time ago and don't remember what it weighed. I do remember that it flew very well with a Saito .72 in it, and I'm sure that adding floats with that combo would have been no problem.

Russ
Old 03-18-2008, 08:09 PM
robyn

Thanks for your help Russ
robyn
Old 03-18-2008, 08:19 PM
robyn

How could I post some pictures on this forum I tryed everithing and I can't do it; please guys tell me how....!!! [:@]
Robyn
Old 03-18-2008, 08:39 PM
secret_squirrel

You have to use the "reply" or "quote" buttons in previous posts. It then put "Click here to upload images and files!" under your new post.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:13 PM
robyn

ORIGINAL: robyn

How could I post some pictures on this forum I tryed everithing and I can't do it; please guys tell me how....!!! [:@]
Robyn
Thanks for your help secret_squirrel.
robyn

Name:	Om34188.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	907383   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55694.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	907384  
Old 03-18-2008, 11:18 PM
robyn

That is my winter project , it's a sig somthing extra with a Os 46 hopefully it'll fly ; but I am kind of worry about the weight so will see and whatever happens I let you know guys wish me luck...!!
ROBYN...!!! [>:] [>:] [>:]
Old 08-06-2008, 12:44 AM
robyn

Russ
After I try to fly my SE a couple of times the third try was the good one that OS 46 has plenty of power and the plane is a great water flying plane , the only thing that I notice flying of water is that taking off is a pain on the bud cause some time the waves on the lake launch the plane airborne really fast and some times takes time to air borne all depends the weather , but other than that I LOVE WATER FLYING. question....??? I do not have a ventral fin on my plane do I need one...??? if so how big..!!!
thanks for all your help.
Robyn.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:15 PM
rslstft

Robyn,
I am far from an expert on float planes, I have 3 right now and only my Cub has a ventral fin. I have a Pacific Aeromodels Knockabout and a ModelFly Cessna both on floats without fins and they both fly fine. I would guess if the SE flies good and seems to have good rudder authority in turns, it probably doesn't need the fin. Maybe some others with more experience with and without fins might like to pipe in here.

Russ
Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: secret_squirrel

I have been looking through the forums to see if there is a preference on which float to mount the water rudder. Does it matter if it is mounted on the left or the right float.

TIA,

Dan
I like to put a rudder on each float, especially on bigger models, say .60 and up. Otherwise the model will turn tighter in the direction of the rudder-equipped float than it will the other direction. On a sport model, where scale looks don't count, I like to hang a water rudder under the tail. On a tail-dragger model it's really easy to install; you just get another tail wheel mount and run a piece of music wire from the flight rudder, through the mount and down to the water. You get great turning leverage so the water rudder doesn't have to be as big as a float-mounted rudder.

CR
Old 08-18-2008, 03:19 PM
robyn

Thanks Russ
I pretty much got it , you know what.!! the plane was out of balance flying really bad tail heavy, I moved everything I could aft. wasn't enough I have to add 8 oz of lead in order to balance it; the weight when up to 7 1/2 pounds total and I'm thinking that it is extremely heavy not sure, balance point is excellent now I hope I get it to fly will see.!
Thanks for your help russ
p.s I'll keep you post it.[>:]
Old 08-18-2008, 03:33 PM
goirish

If it was tail heavy why did you move everything aft? Won't that make it more tail heavy?
Old 08-18-2008, 03:41 PM
robyn

Are u kidding me ...??? moved everything to the motor side of the plane( front) that's how I'm getting to balance it.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:58 PM
goirish

I'm not much of a sailor but I thought forward was forward and aft was to the rear. But Like I say I'm not a sailor. Anyways you got it balanced. Hope it flys great. Did you have a positive incident on the wing compared to the float?
Old 08-18-2008, 04:07 PM
robyn

Well Goirish I understand, the case is that I moved everything forward and I also added 8oz led , and yes..!! I've positive incidence on the wing compare to the floats.
What you thing about the total weight ....???? I'm using a 46 os.
Thanks for ur comments .
Robyn.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:49 PM
robyn

Here I go guys last Friday I try my plane again , but before I was asking about the problem that I had with it plane was extremely tail heavy I added some lead , but I thought that the plane was really heavy, so I ended up removing the cowl moving the motor forward and throwing the led in the garbage; now I tried and wow...!!! what a difference plane is balanced and flies like a hawk
thank you all for your help.
Robyn
Old 09-06-2008, 10:31 AM
jdeters79

ORIGINAL: JimCasey

If the WR is making any drag in the water it will be necessary to add right rudder to counteract the left drag.
It's frequently necessary to add a jab of right rudder anyway just after takeoff, so you're already there and not crossed-up.

Seems counter-productive... If you are concerned with needing to add right rudder (p-factor, torque, etc...) it would make more sense to put the drag on the same side to which you add rudder deflection during TO roll (or float?). By placing the rudder on the left, you're simply increasing the amount of left yaw tendency to the aircraft, hence, requiring even more right rudder.

Right side mounting increases drag to the right, thereby decreasing the amount of right rudder required during the TO roll.

Just my $.02.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:36 AM
Charley
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: jdeters79

ORIGINAL: JimCasey

Seems counter-productive... If you are concerned with needing to add right rudder (p-factor, torque, etc...) it would make more sense to put the drag on the same side to which you add rudder deflection during TO roll (or float?). By placing the rudder on the left, you're simply increasing the amount of left yaw tendency to the aircraft, hence, requiring even more right rudder.

Right side mounting increases drag to the right, thereby decreasing the amount of right rudder required during the TO roll.

Just my $.02.
The water rudder should be out of the water at take off speed so any drag it creates would be aerodynamic and ought to be negligible.

CR
Old 09-06-2008, 06:17 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charley:

Well, you're right that the WR should be out of the water at anything over taxi speed, but it's likely to take a dip when you rotate, especially if abruptly.

As far as your post starting "seems counter productive": P-factor makes the plane turn left. Rudder drag on the left float makes the plane turn left. Right rudder is used to cancel left turning tendencies. You might be right about the rudder drag balancing the P-factor, if they happened at the same time and if the value of the forces were the same. But if I'm having to hold a little right to taxi and then still a little right once I lift off, I feel like I'm less likely to get crossed up. ALSO, the muffler on most planes makes the right wing a little heavier so adding accessories to the left of the plane would bring it closer to balance. But these are all low-order effects, and probably make no noticeable amount of difference anyway. I just hope your plane flies well and you're having fun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.