Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

PBY-5A Catalina 1/10

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

PBY-5A Catalina 1/10

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:37 PM
bigben2k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PBY-5A Catalina 1/10

Greetings to all!

I am currently tooling up to build a 1/10 scale PBY-5A Catalina, so I thought I'd get this thread started, to share my experience.

I've been involved in scale and remote control cars, boats, and planes on and off for the past 20 years, and I feel up to the challenge to build this plane.

A little history:
The Consolidated PBY-5A was extensively used by many branches of the USA, as well as many other countries, during WW2. Known as Model 28, the UK dubbed it Catalina, and the name became common.

The plan:
In selecting the plane and the size, I wanted a challenging project, with the end result being a plane that would be easy to fly, maintain, and operate. I selected the PBY-5A, after seeing one at an airshow in Montreal, Quebec (where I'm from). The plane had been refitted as a water bomber, a common adaptation for this type of aircraft, after the war.

The main challenges in this build are:
1- It's (technically) giant scale, with a wingspan of over 10 feet.
2- This is a twin engine.
3- This is going to be a scale reproduction (as much as possible).
4- This will be an all-composite construction (fiberglass, carbon fiber, plastics and metals)
5- This is a scratch build (with a little help from various plans available on the internet).
6- It's a seaplane that will be fully amphibious, with functional landing gear, and float retracts.
7- I will try to incorporate electronic components, for various purposes.

I selected a 1/10 scale, because I didn't want a common wingspan of 4 or 5 feet; I want this plane to stand out! It should also allow me to carry some cargo and/or be used to tow a sailplane.

The parts:
While my workbench isn't setup yet, I've acquired the following parts:
-2 * OS FS-48 4 stroke Surpass engines, counter rotating (cam swap).
-various fixtures to test the engines
-2 * 14" 3 blade propellers (too large for these engines)
-2 * 11" 2 blade propellers, pusher and puller (for engine testing)
-2 * 4" inflatable wheel and a 3" wheel
-various tools
-various metal stock

The Design:
I opted early to rule out using any wood. With today's availability of so many different materials, we have choices that present less complications. Wood is inherently variable, because it is an organic material, and requires special care. While wood is great because of its strength to weight ratio, fiberglass and carbon fiber is more predictable, and can be just as strong, and light. I struggled for some time in the use of plastics, because it is not considered the mark of a good scratch builder, but I will be using it for non-structural components.

I have found that the greatest challenge in scratch building, so far, is laying out a plan with the proper access hatches. Wether to adjust or swap out a servo, or to access various fuel and electrical connections, everything must be carefully planned; modifying an existing plane to accommodate extra access points can be infinitely complicated.

The dedication:
I'm dedicating this build to the men and women (including Rosie the Riveter) that built these wonderful machines, during WW2. In doing so, I will attempt to to incorporate some of the same building elements and/or techniques, as possible, notably the fabric stitching on some of the wing and tail elements.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:37 PM
ohalloran73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: PBY-5A Catalina 1/10

Hi BigBen,

Your plans of building the Catalina PBY-5A sounds terrific. Hope it's going well and it would be great to see the finished work.
I know of someone who is building the same plane in the scale of 1/8 (ws 156'' or 13 feet) in Iceland. His name is Sturla Snorrason and has a lot of photos of the building process and the finished model both on the ground and flying in the air on his Flickr site. http://www.flickr.com/photos/sturla You should take a look. He also sells the plans he made for the model.

Ollie O'Halloran

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45339.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	1376705