Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

SIG Sealane

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

SIG Sealane

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:51 PM
RC Stout
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG Sealane

Has anyone built or flown a SIG Sealane? I've finished building one over the winter and within the next month I'll be taking it to the lake to fly. The only thing I did different from the plans was to add spray rails. I have a Tower Hobbies 46 PRO engine in it. Are there any bad Characteristics of the plane or is there anything I should know about before the maiden flight. I've been flying float plane for about 3 seasons
Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 AM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SIG Sealane

RS Stout,
Good question. I am in the middle of building one myself and I would like to know the same.

What material did you use for your spray rails and do you have any pics of them? I will be doing the same and I am thinking about using 1/8" lite ply from the left overs from the Fuse side materials. Also, what color scheme did you go with? I am going to be using white/Mild Blue/Dark Blue, but haven't decided on the layout yet. Also, I am planning on glassing the bottom. Laying fiber in the front part on the step and using just the resin to seal the rear.

Good to hear another person is doing one too. I am using a Magnum XLS-46 for mine. Wanted to get an SY GS-45 off Tower, but they changed the ETA date to Late April and I didn't want to wait that long.
Regards,
Curtis
Old 04-02-2008, 10:29 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Sealane flies like a trainer. Literally. That big flat bottom wing has all the vices and virtues of a high wing, flat bottom trainer.

Like all high engine seaplanes, it is best to accellerate slowly so that the engine doesn't drive the nose down.

Jim
Old 04-02-2008, 04:25 PM
RC Stout
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Beau0090 99, I made my spray rails from scrap 1/8 lite ply, at the widest point they are 7/8" wide and 12" long. I epoxied them on, then made a gusset of epoxy and milled fiberglass and applied it to the bottom of the spray rail where it meets the fusalage for strength. I also covered the entire bottom with 2 layers of 1/2 oz. fiberglassand zpoxy. I thought the sheets on the bottom were a little weak. I posted a few picture, I hope they help, if you need more let me know. I fly off a big lake with lots of tree around, so I decided to make the plane yellow to help to see the plane against the trees when landing. I also have a yellow SIG kadet Senior on floats and I love it, it's a big slow flyer but fun to fly never the less.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62010.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	920102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93728.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	139.4 KB
ID:	920103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot49248.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	920104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd88845.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	920105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yk66595.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	920106  
Old 04-03-2008, 09:34 AM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stout,
Those pictures look great. Have you flown it yet? I think that is how I plan my rails as well. I thought the same about the decking. I was surpriseed that SIG doesn't specifically recommend glassing the bottom. I like your pattern and may replicate it only in white and blue. How did it balance out? I moved my engine forward about .5" and with the glass, I figure it should move the CG forward closer to the desired balance point.
Have fun with it, when I finish mine, I will post a few pics too.
Curtis