Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

72" Consolidated PBY Catalina build

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

72" Consolidated PBY Catalina build

Old 06-24-2016, 07:03 AM
Fast Freddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Mike!
Whew...you've been through an awful lot! Well don't feel too bad, I still haven't started my PBY kit, too many distractions. Maybe this winter?
Old 06-24-2016, 07:32 AM
p38nut
My Feedback: (6)

The kit will tell you when the right time to begin is.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Fast Freddy

P38nut, Holy crap...so sorry for all your troubles!! My PBY kit is still sitting untouched in the basement. Doesn't look like I'll get to it anytime too soon as too much else going on in life.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:06 AM
p38nut
My Feedback: (6)

Wink

I know that its been a long time since I posted on here. Things a going a lot better now After the bankruptcy was finished, I actually have money in the bank. Spent 8 years at the Indianapolis Zoo, but not there anymore. Got a better position after position at the Zoo was eliminated. Working from home. So in the times in between panic calls, I've got some time to do things. Mike
Old 03-29-2018, 01:05 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Don't overpower you Catalinas! I have the 74" Kyosho PBY Catalina and it is powered by two OS .15 engines swinging 8x5 APC props and those provide more than enough power. I mostly fly at 1/3 throttle.
Take off from water is very easy. Full power straight at the wind and off she goes. Taxing on water is also very easy despite no water rudder, I just use side rudder.

Last edited by jaka; 03-29-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:27 PM
[email protected]

I won a 71" Catalina PBY electric at a raffle in New Hampshire. The plane flies great, but I am getting an awful amount of splash fro the bow getting into the props during take-off. Someone there suggested that splash deflectors could glued onto the bow, to alter the direction of the splash. Does anyone have experience with this problem, and could give me details on the splash deflectors?
Old 08-06-2018, 04:12 AM
pjwright

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cut or sell this short kit, anyone?

First - regarding "splash deflectors" - they're called spray chines. The Kyosho model has tiny ones - the small flair sticking out below the bow turret. To really be effective on an RC model - since the water is at 100% scale - the spray chines need to be several inches long, and at least 1/2" deep. I added them to my Sig Sealane, using 1/2" balsa triangle stock. Would do the same on the PBY.

Second - "FastFreddy" - are you interested in selling your short kit?
"cam-flyer" - are you still cutting kits? (your website is no longer up)?

I've been unable to update my e-mail in RCU's messaging app (although it's correct in RCU marketplace): [email protected] - use this rather than PM, please.
;-)
PJ Wright
Harrison, TN

Last edited by pjwright; 08-06-2018 at 04:16 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 04:57 AM
pjwright

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Kit cutter news

First - happy to see that things are looking up for Mike - "real life" can certainly blindside a person!
Second, Greg Carter of Charlotte Aircraft Modeling has retired. He was kind enough to sell me one of his remaining kits.
Third, the only "active" kit cutter for the 72" Sid Morgan PBY as of right now is Belair in the UK, asking $192.50US.
Fourth, Buzz Evans of Sunset Models in Florida is in the process of working up a short kit of the 72" Sid Morgan PBY.
Fifth, Larry Kantona has sold Precision Cut Kits to Solo Props - he had the 108" Sid Morgan PBY among his offerings.
I've enclosed a wood parts list provided by Greg Carter needed to complete the 72" short kit - about $100 from BUSA.
All the best...
;-)
PJ
Attached Files