Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Northstar mods - Tell me what you think

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Northstar mods - Tell me what you think

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 05:18 PM
dragonov3
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Northstar mods - Tell me what you think

All the North Stars look awesome. Heres a pic of mine. Has an TT .46 pro for power. Flies great.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74212.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	1342259  
Old 12-27-2009, 12:55 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What are those funny looking round things on the bottom?

Old 12-29-2009, 07:29 PM
Cougar429

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the Holidays and most of the other projects out of the way for now I finally started on covering. Just completed was the smaller foamie version, the Polaris, and I liked the pattern so much I'm copying it here.

Had always planned to power it with the O.S. 40FSR, a powerful and reliable motor, and had already set the mount and throttle linkage up for it. But, after watching some guys fly their EVO engines this season and being mighty impressed with their power and economy, I opted to up the punch a bit. Still waiting for a pair of EVO 46's; one of them intended for this mount.

Pic #1 is the Polaris. The remaining pair are what you get after 3 days of work. Man, those radius intersections take a LOT of time![:@]

Name:	He97313.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	1344612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55592.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	1344613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79470.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	1344614  
Old 12-31-2009, 12:11 AM
chadavilla
My Feedback: (1)

looks good love the jet like tail. my north star is 50 present fiberglassed raised motor 2'' lowered and widened step 3/4 of a in plywood bottom from nose to step tank is in center of wing putting canards on front throttle ruder and elevator servos in pod the new ys 115 should over come the execs weight and i moved motor 2'' forward have a Polaris on order have a electric set up siting collecting dust chad avilla
Old 12-31-2009, 03:57 PM
Cougar429

Here are some more pics of the project. Had to grab a new mount as the EVO 46 has a slightly wider case and mounting holes. While at it I moved the motor a bit forward, which meant some time fabbing a new throttle link. As you can see, not a lot of prop clearance there!

Pic #3 has my pilot taking a rest as he contemplates his first airplane flight[:-]. He got quite a few rides up in the nose of one of my helis.[sm=confused_smile.gif]

Name:	Sq46415.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	1345869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33000.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1345870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99516.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1345871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj20015.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	1345872  
Old 12-31-2009, 07:36 PM
Strykaas

Cool
Old 01-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Cougar429

Here is the latest. Finished some of the detailing a few minutes ago.

The 450 is there so my heli friends have some idea of scale.

The second pic shows the control surfaces now attached and rigged, and the covering complete. Now it's down to detailing and finding some USCG logo emblems.

Oh, and you have a chance to see my canopy getting stripped........AGAIN!!!!!!!!![sm=spinnyeyes.gif] I think this will prove to be the hardest part of the aircraft to finish. Should have epoxied the outside as well.[sm=confused_smile.gif]

Name:	Mk27541.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1346856   Click image for larger version

Name:	ec89624.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	713.6 KB
ID:	1346857  
Old 02-21-2010, 08:32 PM
Cougar429

WooHOO! Progress.

With all the other projects, and getting some new experiences flying from snow this season, glad to be back at it. Went and fired up the plane for the first time this afternoon. Was always a bit worried about truncated flight duration with the small tank size allowed in the engine pod, but glad I did not go to the effort of mounting a larger capacity tank in the fuse. Not necessary.

Started the EVO 46, 10/6 3/blade and after warming up went to full power and left it there, timing how long the fuel would last. Was a bit surprised, but more that satisfied with the 13 1/2 minutes on 8oz[X(]. My previous experience with the GMS 47 would have the tank dry in approx 7 minutes.

Also finished the canopy FOR THE LAST TIME!!!!!!! Stripped it down to bare wood, then brushed in epoxy thinned with methanol to do a good penetration. Once hardened fine sanded and applied 2 layers of 0.06oz cloth. Some more sanding, fill with micro and a shot of laquer. Only problem was I hated the color. Pure gold stuck out like a sore thumb???????????????. Sanded it down again and found something that looked more to my liking. Now just have to wait a spell for it to cure and apply a good coat of wax for the shiny.

Down to the wire now. Have to melt down some lead to stuff in the nose as there is no way the 4000MAh NiMH will fit there. Then it's just getting up the guts to pull the L/G and try it from snow before the season is over.

At this point it looks like all my mods will beef up the ballast till the plane scales out close to 9 lbs. Hope that does not kill the vertical or leave me with a missile on landing.

Name:	Jh16062.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	1384284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb88358.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1384285  
Old 02-22-2010, 04:59 PM
kloper

I'm building the northstar and found a coast guard decal from the web page below:

4ARMEDFORCES.COM
A Division of Xellenc, Inc.
3500 Beachwood Ct Suite 205
Jacksonville, FL 32224 USA
Phone 904.646.3300
Fax 904.646.3333
Old 02-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Cougar429

Thanks, kloper. I looked through their stuff before, but didn't know if they would scale out right.

Are you planning on that scheme for yours?
Old 02-22-2010, 06:26 PM
kloper

Yes.
I have completed the covering. I just ordered the decal.
The model is about 7 1/4 lbs and is ready to fly. Going to use a Thunder Tigre GP42
for power.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:39 PM
cavandish

ORIGINAL: Cougar429

WooHOO! Progress.

With all the other projects, and getting some new experiences flying from snow this season, glad to be back at it. Went and fired up the plane for the first time this afternoon. Was always a bit worried about truncated flight duration with the small tank size allowed in the engine pod, but glad I did not go to the effort of mounting a larger capacity tank in the fuse. Not necessary.

Started the EVO 46, 10/6 3/blade and after warming up went to full power and left it there, timing how long the fuel would last. Was a bit surprised, but more that satisfied with the 13 1/2 minutes on 8oz[X(]. My previous experience with the GMS 47 would have the tank dry in approx 7 minutes.

Also finished the canopy FOR THE LAST TIME!!!!!!! Stripped it down to bare wood, then brushed in epoxy thinned with methanol to do a good penetration. Once hardened fine sanded and applied 2 layers of 0.6oz cloth. Some more sanding, fill with micro and a shot of laquer. Only problem was I hated the color. Pure gold stuck out like a sore thumb???????????????. Sanded it down again and found something that looked more to my liking. Now just have to wait a spell for it to cure and apply a good coat of was for the shiny.

Down to the wire now. Have to melt down some lead to stuff in the nose as there is no way the 4000MAh NiMH will fit there. Then it's just getting up the guts to pull the L/G and try it from snow before the season is over.

At this point it looks like all my mods will beef up the ballast till the plane scales out close to 9 lbs. Hope that does not kill the vertical or leave me with a missile on landing.

Wow 9 lbs !!! should be interesting, Mine was built reasonably light and is powered with a 1.8 hp 50sx, this flew it well off the grass with no gear, I added about 7 oz after a repair and it now really has problems off the grass, and is not so sweet in the air. you really will not be looking at much vertical performance at 9 lbs, I will weigh mine tonight, and report back.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Cougar429

The friend I built Northstar #2 for had a few earlier, and told me that his flew fine at 9lbs due to that huge wing area. That removeable tail, (a necessity to fit in the car) and both throttle and elevator servos really added a lot more weight than I wanted back there. May try to build a lighter version of the tail later on. Hoping to pick up more C/F rods in Toledo again this year.

Another factor at this point is the Tru-Turn alloy spinner. I have a plastic version and will weigh the two to see the difference. Although it looks extremely cool, it may be a penalty I can avoid.

cavandish, I would think that base friction may be causing your lack of accel on grass. Not the most forgiving surface, even when wet. Are there opportunities down there to try it from snow?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Puny_Human

Awsome thread peeps. I just started my NS build a week ago (my first build). Not the most appropriate design for my first time building, but I got the kit for $50 at a thrift shop. I knew I was going to get into this hobby, this just decided when! Don't worry, I'm able to afford a trainer now with the cheap NS, so I won't be flying a delta my first time. I love the input and friendliness here and I can't wait to post some pic's and share stories. I may incorporate a few of the mods I've read about here, but nothing fancy. I like the idea of using a NY rod for the first bit of throttle and then splicing the actual throttle cable to the end of that. In my mind that would absolutely make it more responsive.

Get High!

Colin.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Cougar429

Speaking of Nyrod, I forked out for what was touted as the best for temp stability out there. Not pleased to see the rudder over and both ailerons drooped a bit when it was outside in the cold for the fuel endurance tests Sunday. Back in the build room everything returned to normal. If there was any possibility for access for checks and maintenance after buttoning the airframe, I would have come up with some other control system.

But again, "Tinker Forever, And Finish None"[&o].
Old 02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
cavandish

I am sure that they do hook up on grass, but it always got away well, before a little extra weight was added.
Unfortunatley we rarley see snow.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:18 PM
Puny_Human

A few pics of my North Star to date... going fairly well for my first build.

Name:	Mk25186.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1388732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24307.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	1388733   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65538.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1388734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93127.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	1388735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wi59923.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	1388736   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uk77945.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1388737  
Old 02-28-2010, 05:29 PM
cavandish

looks good, be sure to keep the wing hard against your board throughout the construction process.
Is that gorilla grip on the fuse ? good stuff
Old 03-01-2010, 05:25 PM
Puny_Human

Thanks, I know what you mean about the wing. I had covered my board with foam core, but when I started the wing I noticed small "blisters" or high areas, as the core was slightly warped. I ended up taking everything off and using contact cement between the core and board for a good flat surface. I couldn't part with the funds for Gorilla or other high end fillet material. That's just carpenters glue.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Cougar429

So the white stuff is just fillet/sealer? If you intend to run it from water it may be a good idea to try a bond in a test. Some of that glue softens or disolves completely in prolonged exposure.

If I did another kit I would have put all the wing ribs together and drilled for one of the C/F rods I picked up in Toledo and would have suggested the same to you, but from the pics you beat me to the punch and have the wing structure nearly complete.

However, I may be in time to suggest one very useful mod. The step in the bottom of the fuse is very small, so extending it to enlarge the break helps get the plane off the water. If you look at the last pic in my post #172 you'll see where I added the material.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 AM
Puny_Human

Looks good Couger, I may still be adding a sheet of light ply to the bottom of the hull for reinforcement, depending on how I cover the plane. That should extend the step by a slight amount. I have more pics to post (progress is kinda slow due to work), but before I do, I wanted to finish the next step in construction. That is, to cut the leading edges for the first fitting of the wing to the fuse. Here is where I have a question that has been haunting me for a while. Early in the wing construction (too late however to do anything about it) I noticed that one side of the wing is simply longer than the other (measured along the trailing edge, from center to tip) it is actually just over 3/16 " longer on the left side. When I noticed this on my wing, I measured the actual plans and sure enough this seems to have been designed in. At first, being new to the hobby, I reasoned that the added wing area may provide extra lift on one side to compensate for the engine rotation, But now that I am ready fit the wing to the fuse, the instructions say that the distance measured from wing tip to the rudder post should be the same for proper alignment. Obviously with one side longer, this will set the wing in slightly askew. Did anyone else encounter this, or did I get the unrevised plans!? lol!

Thanks everyone!

Colin.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:26 AM
Cougar429

You want the wing straight to the fuse regardless of length or the plane will fly wonky.

I would measure a point equally from the center to near the tips and use that as an alignment guide. Don't think the extra on one side will make all that much difference, but then again, mine was identical.

One noted weakness in the wing near the root can cause it to break there from loads imposed by the tip floats. I ran glass fiber along the trailing edge between the edge and skin and built up an extra spar between the wings where the stock landing gear blocks would have been installed, (I'm using an alloy gear fastened to the fuse bottom just behind the step). Should have used the C/F tubes I picked up in Toledo, but the wing structure had been built by then.

If you want to go to the largest R/C show in the area, check out Toledo Weak Signals coming up the weekend after Easter. We usually head there on Saturday every year.

Here's the link:

[link]http://www.toledoshow.com/[/link]
Old 03-27-2010, 07:58 PM
JustPlaneSweet

Colin,

I ran into the 3/16 difference also. It was bugging me so I just capped the short wing with 3/16 of balsa (2 pcs of 3/32 scrap) and carried on.

I added 1/4 x 1/2 blocks inside the trailing edge where the hinge slots will go. This will provide more gluing area and a blind pocket for the hinges.

Stan
Old 03-28-2010, 06:32 AM
LADDIE

ORIGINAL: JustPlaneSweet

Colin,

I ran into the 3/16 difference also. It was bugging me so I just capped the short wing with 3/16 of balsa (2 pcs of 3/32 scrap) and carried on.

Stan
I would do the same thing.

I know that my original drawing that was published in RCM magazine had both sides of the wing were same length. The error on the drawings was introduced when printing. Some old printing machines would stretch the printed images. Longer drawing, bigger error.
Laddie.
Old 03-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Cougar429

Still think it's by far one of the most beautiful and appealing R/C planes out there.

Thanks, Laddie.

Well, time to get back to the build room. Working on the weight and balance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.