Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

What kind of CorrosionX ?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

What kind of CorrosionX ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Rufcut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of CorrosionX ?

I'm getting my Tiger Trainer 60 ready for floats and I was wondering which type of CorrosionX to use. The local hardware store has 2 types, the lubricant and the coating. Which one do I use to waterproof the receiver and how do I apply it? Do I open up the receiver or just spray it on the outside? Servo leads connected or not? Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Rufcut
Old 05-29-2008, 11:34 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What kind of CorrosionX ?

Get The red label CorrosionX
You can open up the RX and spray it on the circuit board, but the most likely place to get corrosion is on the connectors, inside the switch, battery pack, etc.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:28 AM
Rufcut

Thanks Jim. I'm almost ready to try my first float plane and was just finishing up a few details. Should be a kick

Rob
Old 05-30-2008, 05:41 PM
Oh Yeah!!

Hey Rob,

I just finished my first floatplane and maiden a couple months ago myself. Been going to the River or Pond every chance I get.

Jim and the rest of the guys here on RCU helped a bunch. Thanks again Guys!!!

You'll definitely get a kick out of it.

Have any pics and/or video?

Phil
Old 05-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Rufcut

Hey Phil,
I haven't done the maiden yet. Still have a few loose ends to take care of before I give it a try. I'm shooting for next weekend if I can get all these honey-do's done. I'll try to get some pics soon.

Rob
Old 05-31-2008, 02:12 PM
greggK

Hey Jim and all...
Is there any adverse affects to spraying inside the receiver? I think connectors are a must and I do that along with all hardware etc. I have yet to open the receiver and spray, im assuming this is done as a precaution if the receiver goes scuba diving,otherwise it shouldn't be a problem? Do you also take apart the servos and spray in there too??

What about a Brushless electric motor, should i spray that too and also after every run or can Corr.X hurt this in anyway? Its on a SeaWind. Thanks....
Old 05-31-2008, 04:16 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, if you're gonna fly this in Chesapeake bay since you live in Annapolis: The bay is at least brackish if not fully salty. Look up "galvanic corrosion" and count all the different metals visible in your electronics. Scary, Huh?

Hose down everything metallic on the plane with corrosionX. This includes the circuidt boards. Then seal your batteries, ESC, and Receiver in plastic bags, balloons, or condoms. The polyethylene baggies are less susceptible to attack from the oils in CorrosionX than the latex in the other choices. Open the servos and squirt the boards. I wouldn't squirt the brushes in the servo motors, but at least get a Q-tip and dab the bearings.
CorrosionX won't hurt a brushless motor and be sure to get some protection in the bearings. Setscrews are hardened carbon steel and they rust if it gets cloudy. Be sure to protect the setscrews if you want to be able to remove your propeller, etc. later.

If it has a switch, mount it internally and actuate it with a pushrod. In for off, out for ON. That way it doesn't get turned on in the trunk of your car. If it gets dunked, unplug the power and flush everything that got salty water on it with rubbing alcohol, Blow it dry with one of those cans of stuff used for cleaning computers, then reapply the CorrosionX.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:24 PM
oldvet70
My Feedback: (10)

Having grown up around the Chesapeake bay I can say it is Saltwater not brackish. Indeed many of the rivers, such as the South and Severn near Annapolis are saltwater also, almost up to the tide line.