Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Discussion - Tony Nijhuis Sunderland

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Discussion - Tony Nijhuis Sunderland

Old 06-30-2009, 04:39 AM
siddus74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Discussion - Tony Nijhuis Sunderland

G,

Glad you replied and commented about the props do you have 4 8x4 APCE's instock? If so I will order them on line today . . . do you think I will be able to achieve the required thrust on 8x4's? Ideally I would like to drop the amps down as you suggest, I dont want to stress the packs.

If all goes well I can bring it too your next electric day together with my Mars, we need a good catch up in any case . . .

Not really sure about the weight, I think the Electric version is about .45lbs lighter, if definately feels lighter - the weight is in a better position and the ballance is easier to achieve as the ballast is in the lipos, not spread across the wings.

Oh, BTW - off topic I know . . . I have a Multiplex twinstarII, never really understood why you raved on about it so much until now! Great bird, lovely flyer. I was concidering converting it to brushless, what do you think - is there any point? can I use these lipos in a TwinstarII brushless conversion?

I am determined to buy something from you!

Cheer in advance G.

Scott.

Old 07-01-2009, 03:10 AM
siddus74

ORIGINAL: chinehamgeorge

Scotty

The 8x6 are too much for the 1300kv version plus the current will stress the LiPo's.
You have so much power there you will be able to prop hang it

The 8x4 are a much better choice plus they will stress the LiPo's less.

Out of interest what is the weight of the model in IC form and electric form ?

Cheers
G
G,

Spent an hour or so last night taxiing and hopping it on and off the floor up and down the school field behind my house. On a dolly the power is quite impressive. Relativity small wheels on relatively long grass was still not a problem, its a dragstripping Sunderland with this set up. Once up the glide is long but I think that is much to do with the inertia the AUW with a banded on undercarriage is a shade over 8.5lbs. I have order a set of 8x4 propellers as well.

The separate throttle mixes (left / right) don't seem to start the ESC as the same throttle point on the stick for some reason? Any ideas? I have gone for all ESC on channel one for the time being.

Proper test flight tonight with video and pictures hopefully if the cameraman turns up. If all is well I will tidy it up putting the cowls etc on ready for the water plane meeting on the 11/12 July.
Old 07-01-2009, 04:47 PM
siddus74

I have flown my TN Sunderland after the electric conversion . . . wow!, dont bother with the smaller 200w setup, the last thing you want on this bird is to be underpowered.

A thank you to George from 4-max for coercing me into installing flaps, man what a difference they make to the flying speed . . . .

2 successful flight tonight, next is the small tidy up and water proof ready for the waterplane meet next weekend!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTkFVYnTHyo&feature=channel[/youtube]
Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congratulations, Scotty. You've built yourself another winner.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:46 AM
siddus74

Flys off the water beautifully, I put a definate step on mine though. There were two others at our meeting with the original steps and they got off as well no probs, theres weighed 10.5Lbs!!![X(] with only 700 watts - they flew very fast indeed but still flew well.

Here is a short clip of mine yesterday > > >

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi0rModw_Gc[/youtube]
Old 07-12-2009, 03:24 AM
redpiperbob

Well done Scott great plane
Bob
Old 07-12-2009, 06:48 AM
Mustang Fever
My Feedback: (2)

Scott:

That is spectacular. She really looks good with the cowls and all.

The PBY is within a day of flying. If we have another calm morning like this morning, she'll fly tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:37 AM
siddus74

Thanks guys, she flies great . . . Good luck with the maiden Bob.

Scott.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Props4ever

Beautiful model and subject Scott and you did superb job building it!, man i like 4 engine models more n more now that i see them and quite honestly i'm thinking on getting into seaplanes more now then ever before, it's like totally new ball game for me...

Does anyone know if there are plans or short kits available for Boeing 314 "Clippers!" in above 100" Wingspans.....

Sam
Old 07-13-2009, 07:57 AM
trumps

hello Scott,

found your build thread, and have just spent an hour or 2 going through it, great thread
on a fantastic build, i can definately see myself investing in one of these though i am a
little conscerned about the quality of the wood as i definately would be going that way!
did they ever get back to you in regards to the quality issues?
also where did you get your building jig from? this would be the largest plane i have built
and would want to give it every chance i could of being nice and square.

Cheers
Craig
Old 07-14-2009, 09:22 AM
siddus74

Trumps,

It turned out to be an excellent plane, If I were to build it again I would cut all the formers etc from 1/8th balsa, if you did get the plan pack you could always speak to them and ensure they check the quality of the wood prior to sending it to you, although my wood was not great in hind sight it was workable. The key is with this plane is that it will get overweight very quickly unless you watch your wood choice and where possible build and sheet as appose to block and sand, and watch the paint quantity if you choose to paint it.

Use foam for the floats as well, not block balsa . . . all the small things make a hughe difference when added together, my rule is generally to use 1/2 the size the plan suggests, the light weight glass cloth is excellent for adding strength with little weight penalty.

You must must keep it light, I can not stress this enough as I have seen 2 very overweight examples and seen them fly very fast and somewhat uncomfortably. I can only urge you cut your own formers from 1/8th balsa and use 16th for the ribs, just using the light ply for the motor nacels etc. Power is important as well it does not need a great deal but it makes flying comfortable, I think the weight and power they suggest is questionable. Again the overweight beasts were running in 700watts and it seemed very very marginal.

I put flaps on mine and it turned it from a good flying plane to a great flying plane if you dont mine a bit of adhoc.

Good luck, let me know how you get on - feel free to PM me if you want any advice etc.

Im going to order the Lancaster plan with the plastics and cut my own formers.

The jig is by SLEC all the mounts / nuts and the sticker is included - you just stick it to a piece of 18mm shelf! It's very cheap and does the job.

Scott.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69331.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	1236075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84223.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1236076   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej13019.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	1236077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17910.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1236078  
Old 09-04-2022, 03:10 PM
Phishshack

Originally Posted by siddus74
Tanks in, throttles set and sheeting 99% complete, a quit dry fit with all radio, battery and a gyro it weighs in at a shade under 7lb, I was hoping for a little less but what can you do? 4 engiines weigh the amount of 4 engines no matter what you do . . . The target weight is 8lbs so that leaves me 1 lb to ply with for finishing . . . Is that possible?

Is it to late to go brushless?

what do you think of this stunner