Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Mariner 1.20

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Mariner 1.20

Old 07-30-2008, 10:17 AM
cruzanron
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mariner 1.20

Hello everyone:

I recently picked up a used Mariner 1.20 that was pretty beat up and had been set up with an Evolution 1.00. The fuse/hull had a lot of gooped-on, lumpy, uneven adhesive to strenghthen up the hull. I began with stripping down the whole fuse to the bones to completely re-do it with smooth fiberglass covering the entire underside and front portion of the Fuselage. the tail and the back half will be re-covered as well as the wing with iron-on covering.

My questions are:
1) I am contemplating which engine to install. I have an o.s. 1.08 BX-1 (2 stroke glow) and I also have a Zenoah G-26 laying around. Anyone have experience with the 1.20 using either the o.s. 1.08 or the G-26? weight issues, fitment, etc.

2) Any reccomendations on coverings? ex- Monocote vs. fabric? Which is better to withstand salt water? Another option would be to close off the hollowings in the tail, sheet and glass the whole damn thing but concerned about addding too much weight; especially considering I glassed the whole underside with some pretty thick cloth.

Any help/ suggestions/ storied would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:54 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Mariner 1.20

The 1.20 flies very lightly even with a big heavy motor. The one I built and fly has a Saito 1.50 and flies absolutely fantastic. I see no problem with either motor but the 1.20 will fly fine with a .75 on it. As far as covering either is good and better than what they come with and that is sufficient.

As far as salt water on the covering Monokote is good and holds up ok but I would worry about the motor being subjected to the salt. Put a motor on it that you can rinse with fresh water after use.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:56 PM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cruz,
Evan is correct,I have a Saito 180 on mine and it is a little over powered.I prefer Solartex on seaplanes,because you dope up the fuse with Balsarite fabric formula[2 parts acetone 1 part balsarite].Then seal the outside of the fabric with a clear coat of choice.Jeff
Old 07-30-2008, 05:57 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was wrong, it has a 1.80 on it... sorry...
Old 07-31-2008, 11:13 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddy flies one with a 120GMS on it and it flies very well. But as you say, you do not want to get it too heavy. The G-26 weighs at least a pound more than the 1.08, and that extra pound will be way up on top of the pod where it will affect the balance in turns, etc. I would definately use the 1.08. And I would buy a Bisson Sport Style muffler to replace the stock OS muffler and save another half a pound.

Same thing with the covering. Fabric is twice as heavy as film covering, plus the weight of the Balsaright and the clearcoat. Put a couple of coats of water-base polyurethane varnish on the wood, sanding between coats, than cover it with film, wrapping the film 1/4" onto the bottom. Then put a final coat of resin on the bottom that overlaps the edges of the covering.

Jim
Old 08-01-2008, 07:51 AM
wildbills21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a Mariner 1.20, Does anybody have one they want to get rid of or is there a kit out there there is close to the same thing. I am looking for one in the 80 - 100 inch wingspan.

Wild Bill