Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Vintage R/C Plans 9' Catalina PBY-5A

Has anyone built and flown the PBY-5A from the old Sid Morgan plans?
    Not interested in the glass and foam kit from G & P Sales, don't care for the
    foam wings and stab.

Would like to know what engines, props, fuel tank set ups, ect. were used,
    have had these plans for going on 30 years now and thinking of starting a build in 2009.

Many Thanks

Bill D.
    Founder \"Nosen Cessna 310 Club\"
    Waco Brotherhood # 43
    P-39 Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Vintage R/C Plans 9' Catalina PBY-5A

I was lucky enough to be the pilot half of a team flying a 9 foot PBY from the Sig Morgan plans back in the 1980s. The model was built and owned by Curly Rucker in Fort Worth, TX. We probably flew the model 100-120 times over several years. I would say that half the fligts were off water and half off the ground.

The model flew nicely on twin OS .61 FSR engines. I think the props were 12-6 or in that range. I do not recall the exact flying weight, but it was in the low-20's, I think.

The PBY likes coordinated turns...it was just a tiny bit low in directional stability and had noticable adverse yaw. A later model of the PBY with the larger vertical tail would likely not have this issue to the same degree. I would either plan on flying coordinated turns, or do some rudder/aileron mixing. Might be worth doing some extra differential in the ailerons, as well. With the tip floats up and the fixed scale landing gear bolted on, it was even a bit more lacking in directional stabiulity (likely caused by the forward lateral area of the wheels)...not terrible, but slightly noticable.

Very majestic in the air....great water handling. Best to keep some power on and not land too steep and slow, as it bounces, like all PBYs, both full scale and models, if you just plop it on the water slow. Proper airspeed control and a low sink rate touchdown gives incredible scale like landings.
    Electric Coolhunter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bill, I too have been wanting to build a large PBY. I didn't know plans existed. Are they still available? If so, from whom?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Go here for Vintage RC plans of the PBY and other oldies.
    http://www.vintagercplans.com/main.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the info. My plans are on order.
    I have loved this aircraft since I was a kid. Would love to do this project but it sure is ambitious. I see Kit Cutters can make a kit. I would probably start with the short kit.
    Since I don't live near a good place to fly off the water, I want to design and build a retractable landing gear. Bill Price at G&P Sales used to make a retractable gear but he told me last winter that he is not going to make it anymore - too much work. Maybe I could get the plans for the gear from him.
    http://www.kitcutters.com/Nov/NovPBY5A.htm

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you are a scratch builder you will be amazed at how easy this
    plane looks to build. There is definately a lot of carving on blocks
    to do around the pylon and nose area. Planking the hull & fuselage
    will be the most time consuming part of the build.
    Contact my freind "Action Ed" @
    www.lazer-works.com for his laser kit is :

Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina

$179.02

By: Vintage RC Plans Service

Wingspan: 108 in.

His telephone number is (940) 766-2667

The him Bill D. from Louisiana refered you. He does excellent work, the
    wood quality is 1st class and he could probably ship your kit within a couple weeks.
    Waco Brotherhood # 43
    P-39 Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Glad to see there is an interest in the plans built 108" PBY by Vintage R/C plans. I started one about ten years back and it was never finished, just the fuse. and the center section of the wing. I just pulled it out of the back room because I needed a winter project. and this seemed like a good one. Hope to hear more on the building of this beautiful bird. I will send pix as I build this winter.
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ok now we have some inspiration to get one underway myself, amougst all of the other
    building I am doing, RV-4, Mr. Mulligan, Venture 60, ect.
    Waco Brotherhood # 43
    P-39 Brotherhood # 5

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm building the 108" PBY by Vintage R/C plans, and I was wondering if anyone has given thought to the way the wings mount to the inboard section. It doesn't seem very strong the way they slide over that plywood tongue, even with the short struts. It seems like it puts all the load on the struts, and they don't look that strong. I would think it should have a vertical spar that slides into a pocket or aluminum tube in a tube. Any thoughts?
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave, several of my group have built the PBY from Vintage RC plans.
    We used Sig wing joiners which worked well. They consist of vertical aluminum sliding into a pocket, also alum.
    They appear to work well. In addition we made the struts sturdy(alum) and functional.
    Pictures can be provided if there is any interest.
    Hope this helps.
    Lorne

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thank you very much. I like that idea and it sounds much better than what is shown in the drawings.
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here are a few pics of what I have done.
    I hope they help.
    Lorne
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rp43061.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	326.6 KB 
ID:	1076822   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gb90814.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	335.5 KB 
ID:	1076823   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl20400.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	437.2 KB 
ID:	1076824  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Forgot to mention the pin at the rear is an alignment pin, the tongue is locked in place with a couple machine screws from the bottom.
    My wing is broken down in such a fashion that I leave the centre section intact for transport. Easy job adding outer sections, hook up servo and air lines(tip float retracts).
    It should be obvious my PBN is a few days away from flying! Next spring for sure!

Lorne

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for the pix, I like the the aluminum wing joiners. What do you plan on powering her with? I plan on flying off of water, so I think I'll need a pair of 60s. I'd like to use a pair of 45s but it probably would be under powered for water. Thanks again for the pix and I'll send some of my bird soon.
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave, I plan on using two New O S 61's. I have broken them in on an old trainer type aircraft. Matter of fact if I don't get this PBN finished I will have them worn out.
    I am looking for reliability and I think these engines will provide it.
    Lorne[8D]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just today bought a pair of OS 61FS engines, and I also got in the mail the side blisters, engine cowls, gun turret, and windows from Vintage R/C Plans so I'm ready to get to it.
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow, great build so far! I have the Fred Novack 72" version, short laser cut kit from Charlotte Aircraft Modelers. Have not started it yet, but have enjoyed reading this build. I love the Sig outer wing joiner kit, but at 72" wingspan may not need to go that route. Will consider. I plan on electrifying mine as it is a lot easier to deal with electric twins by eliminating one engine out and engine syncronization issues.

Look forward to the completion of your build!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Kevin, I don't know about the price on the laser cut kit. For that price I'll bet that it's a short kit.
    The cowls I got are the plastic ones and they are 4-3/4" in Dia. I will probably make a mold and make some glass ones later. But for now these will get me going. I plan on using Sig coverall on the entire airframe and then using an epoxy on the hull over the coverall. I like using coverall because I can shrink it down very smooth and then soak the epoxy through it just like glass cloth with the same results. I'm not sure what type of paint I will use yet.
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Fast Freddy, What size motors are you planning on using? I would love to get into electrics but it costs a lot to get started, and I have all this nitro stuff. Electrics are cool. No fuss no mess.
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bowmaster, My PBY is the 72" version. I'm thinking two E-Flite 25's to 32's. I won't know until I can guage the approximate finished weight. A partial build of the 72" version can be found here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_73...tm.htm#7410281

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks like it will make a nice bird. I have a set of plans from RCM by Bud Chappell of a 66" PBY that I think would make a good electric, but right now I need to finish this 108" bird. The fuse and tail feathers are about 75% built and I'm about ready to start cutting out wing parts. sorry to say no laser cut kit for me. Just a lot of tracing and cutting. But I have all winter.
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave, have you ever considered foam wings? I believe I still have my alum cutting templates around some where.
    Foam would help in dampening the engine vibration as well.
    Lorne

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Lorne. I've never been a fan of foam wings, although I have build a lot of them over the years. I guess I just like all thouth's sticks and stuff, and the drum sound they make after they're covered. But you are right. It would be stronger and help reduce vibration. It's something to think about before I start cutting all though's ribs.
    Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Bowmaster

Looks like it will make a nice bird. I have a set of plans from RCM by Bud Chappell of a 66" PBY that I think would make a good electric, but right now I need to finish this 108" bird. The fuse and tail feathers are about 75% built and I'm about ready to start cutting out wing parts. sorry to say no laser cut kit for me. Just a lot of tracing and cutting. But I have all winter.
    Dave
    Bowmaster, I have built the Catalina from the RCM plans by Bud Chappell and I love it. Its's my fav water plane of all time. Mines got ailerons and is powered by 2 x os.10 rc. Also the step has been moved to the correct position and the transfer from water is easy. It weights about 4.6lbs and will fly all day on one engine (not that I surrer with engine outs n these tow beauts)

Siddus74
    siddus74

http://www.leenvalleymodelflyingclub.co.uk

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Siddus, You say you moved the step to a better location for water takeoff. Where would that be from the step on the plans? You say it flies great off water with a pair of OS 10's, thats great. I saw the OS 10's on the plans and thought it would be underpowered for water takeoff. I'm not a fan of over powering an airplane. I would rather build it light with lesspower, that way it looks more realistic when it's flying. I build them to fly not to crash.
    Dave

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast