Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

pulse XT 25E on floats question

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

pulse XT 25E on floats question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 10:17 AM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default pulse XT 25E on floats question

hello every1,

i have one of the new pulse 25E's on back order along with a set of floats for it (my first float plane) and i was just wondering if there is anything i need to do with the aileron servos so they done get wet ?

in the video here = http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL4100 it looks like they are just regular servos out in air/water spray as i said this will be my first float palne and just dont want to wreck any servos. or get the plane off the water and have a problem with the servo not working from getting wet and losing the plane.

so any help/info would be much appreciated, and thanks in advance .

bassman
Old 09-14-2008, 05:47 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: pulse XT 25E on floats question

Aileron servos don't usually suffer from being sprayed a bit. The shaft is greased and fits tightly. Water does not usually wick in.
Since they are on the bottom of the wing, any spray drains downward and is blown off as soon as you get airborne anyway.

There are mounting techniques for burying them inside the wing, for a little more protection, if you are still worried.

The most likely damage is if you flip the plane....it floats on the wing, nose down. High-wing planes stay pretty dry. Low wing planes get water in the fuselage in copious quantities. If water pours into the wing thru the servo openings it's hard to get the wing dried back out. In a couple of weeks you can have a science project growing in there. Not as dangerous for the servos as it is for the wood in the wing structure. Lite-Ply is particularly susceptible to getting mushy and growing mold. Always seal any lite-ply component that will likely get wet.

IF you get water inside the plane, pour out what you can, mop out what you can with paper towels, and store the plane with all the hatches open in a warm, well-ventilated area when you get home to dry out residual moisture.

If your other electronics get wet, open the case, blow away any water with compressed air or a can of computer duster, and let it dry thoroughly on top of your hot water heater or some other warm, dry place.

A rilly cool spray called "corrosionx" is available at your local marine supply store. Squirt your circuit boards and connectors with this and they won't corrode or short out if they get dunked.

There. I have told you a lot more than you wanted to know.......
Old 09-14-2008, 04:32 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: pulse XT 25E on floats question

jim,

thanks for the reply to my qyestion and more . looks like you have given me enough info to take to the water world of flying. sounds like good info i can use and look foward to using.

bassman