Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

alpha trainer floats???

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

alpha trainer floats???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 11:51 PM
Nighthawk117
My Feedback: (41)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alpha trainer floats???

Has anyone put floats on this plane? If so which ones,from where,how much,c.g. issues,size. and anything else you could add would be great !! Thanks
Old 05-27-2003, 10:31 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default alpha trainer floats???

Specifically, I have NOT put floats on an "Alpha" trainer. But, it would be like almost any other trainer.

The review in Model Airplane News says the fuselage is 26" long but I will presume Mr. Atwood just missed that and 46" is the number. if that's the case, 32" long floats would be about right, and typical for a .40-powered trainer.

If you are flying an Alpha trainer, does this imply that you do not want to build? You will have to fabricate at least a forward support for the floats (T-Strut) if you want to use your existing mains.
In My Humble opinion, the completely finished, ready to clamp-on and go fly floats are not as good as those you can assemble yourself. But, GeeBee makes a set of 32" "clamp-on and go" blow-molded polyethylene floats. You would be better served with a set of foam floats from one of a number of suppliers listed in my club's website (link below). But, you will have to do some building. Also, see the articles about how to float-fly/mount/fabricate floats. After you read those, you will be a Doctor of Floatology. The following link is to the most concise article. Click on the images of the Cunningham article and the y will popup to full-screen.
http://www.flyinglindy.homestead.com/skisandfloats.html

If the Alpha Trainer's flywheel really works as they say to ensure a reliable idle, then that would be a plus for float-flying it. It's always so much better to drive the plane up to the beach than it is to go for a boat ride to retrieve it.