Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

GP Cub 40 Setup

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

GP Cub 40 Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 10:21 AM
NorthernBoy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Cub 40 Setup

I have a GP Cub 40 with a set of GP 40 size floats flew it a few times last year. Takes off easy but landing it seems to nose up and turning can be a little better. My present setup is as mentioned in GP float instructions. Just looking for any other ideas of setup to make it more enjoyable to fly.

TIA
Pete
Old 06-06-2003, 05:44 PM
gxc11

Default GP Cub 40 Setup

I have not flown off the water yet this year, I did last year a few times and noticed it being sluggish, but it was still ok.

How is the CG? Are you a little nose heavy?

How is the float to wing angle? I think they ask for 1.5 degrees up in the manual, I moved mine almost level b/c she lifted off to soon for me.

I dislike the 1 servo, bell crank setup for the ailerons. I may get rid of that setup, and put two servos out in the wing, and increase the throws. I'm at the max throw right now on the current setup, and it may not be enough for floats.

When I fly on the water, I noticed using much more rudder than normal...a bit in the direction of your turn to help it get into the turn, and then opposite rudder once in the turn to help keep the nose up.

I am flying off the water this Sunday...I will think of some more stuff to try, and I'll post some pictures along with how she flies!

-Gerry
Old 06-07-2003, 04:00 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default GP Cub 40 Setup

All cubs with scale aileron setup do suffer from adverse yaw to a good degree and will benefit from an active left thumb as gxc mentioned or a bit of aileron to rudder mix. Now as politically incorrect as it is to use this mix in reality most flyers do not use the rudder appropriately for all turns even when they do occasionally.

Now with a float plane this situation is amplified even more, try using a little aileron to rudder mix, perhaps around 20% and this will give you an airplane of entirely different character and flies much more prototypically In other words nicer.

John
Old 06-07-2003, 09:11 PM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GP Cub 40 Setup

I agree with John. I have a 60 size GP Cub that suffers from adverse yaw and was even more pronounced when floats were added. I don't care to mix, but rather use my left thumb. It performs much better with rudder in the turns, and it doesn't take much rudder to help..........Seaplane
Old 06-08-2003, 12:21 PM
NorthernBoy

Default GP Cub 40 Setup

Thanks for all your reponses.

Gerry - I have my wing to float angle to 1.5 Degs and as I remember it does take off quick but I am not having any problems with it like stalling. My CG is also as GP recommends. I have already added two servos in the wing and it helps. Let me know how you make out this Sunday.

I will try mixing rudder with aileron next time I am out to see if it helps turning.