Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

2,4 Ghz and float planes

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

2,4 Ghz and float planes

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:06 PM
AVIATor-Olav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2,4 Ghz and float planes

Hi.

Anyone using 2,4Ghz system in their float planes?
How do you seal up your recievers? In the past a simple ballon would do, bringing the antenna out the front of the ballon along with the servo cables. Now with the two short antennas that are supposed to be angeled at 90 degrees I'm not so sure.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:17 PM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: 2,4 Ghz and float planes

I'd just put the receivers into ZIPLOCK bags, or the like, and run whatever wires you have out a very small opening. Seal the bags and mount. You can do the same with any other radio equipment you want "sealed".

Soft landings.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:39 PM
teryn1
My Feedback: (77)

use corrosionx
Old 01-15-2009, 01:15 AM
mogman

The only problem with sealing up components is the risk of condensation forming in the bag. I've never sealed up rx's, servos etc, preferring to have them where some air is able to circulate. If you happen to dunk a plane in fresh water, just open up the cases and dry out and leave them in the sun or hit them with a hair dryer. If you go into salt water then you need to get the equipment out of the plane fast and immerse in a bucket of fresh water and rinse well and then dry. A spray of corrosion inhibitor would not go amiss.
When I am at a float fly I generally pop the wing off a couple of times during the day and let air circulate through the plane to combat any moisture that may have found it's way in.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:47 AM
ss40

What Dave said. He is THE man.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:08 AM
Fast Freddy

[8D] I use Corrosion X too. Simply submerge it in the liquid type, that's right, submerge it, then wipe it off with a paper towel, then let it sit on the paper towel for a few hours so that most of the Corrosion X is absorbed by the paper towel leaving a film on the receiver.

Link

http://www.buycorrosionx.com/index.p...7uxa7159u00woi

You want the 16 oz. trigger spray. It will last you forever. If you're a serious seaplane flyer, you'll want to use Corrosion X at the beginning of every flying season. Also, coat all electrical connections, male and female.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:49 AM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Hi all, When I suggested using the ZIPLOCK bags, sealed up, I was thinking to have them sealed only when flying and then unzip 'em when the model is not being flown; the "zip" making this easy to do. This would allow air to freely circulate and there should not be a condensation build-up problem with equipment. Perhaps I should have been more clear.

Soft landings.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:26 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm flying a first gen DX-6 on a slow stick on floats with nothing protecting the reciever or speed control. Both have been dunked and submerged TWICE. Once dried out they work just fine.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:53 AM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have many waterplanes but only one at the moment on 2.4 GHz
On some models, like the jet here, I don't bother wrapping the Receivers in anything special.
I did get water in the fuselage once but the main Rx was well clear and the extra one (mounted under the ply plate with its aerials for and aft) was OK also.

On my other models I often do not attempt to waterproof the Rx. I just mount it on a shelf in the middle of the fuselage and try to keep water out. I have done my Northstars and Lochstar like that.

On others I enclose the Rx in a clear plastic bag, quite loosely. Just to keep water splashes off it directly. You can usually see if water gets in. I always remove it after every flying session to let the air in and dry off any moisture.

If you enclose the Rx tightly, as in a balloon, you can't see if water gets in. You can't get the water out. Water WILL get in nomatter how thorough you are, but it can't get out. You tend to just leave it in the "waterproof" wrapping between flying sessions. Believe me, if water did get in to the compartment in the model, then there will be moisture in the Rx. Even if it's just a little condensation. If water didn't get into the compartment, you wasted your time wrapping the Rx (and you still have to unwrap it carefully just to check it is dry).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73643.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	1111304   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70655.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	1111305   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qw56591.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	1111306  
Old 01-15-2009, 03:58 PM
AVIATor-Olav

Thanx very much for your answers! I'll keep my reciever unwrapped then. Might get some corrosion X, don't know if I can get it here though.
I've also read that 2,4 recievers shouldn't me wrapped in foam due to reduced cooling? Is there any truth to that!
I got my new Futaba 10C two days ago, haven't had a chance to try it yet though. I used a 9C before.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:24 PM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know about cooling! My Rx never seems to get warm, but in this weather I'm not surprised.
The main thing is to keep the water out of the fuselage. In 35 flights with the jet, the only time water got in was when I knocked the floats off.
The top hatch and nose cone are splash proof, at least.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:00 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Hi;Was wondering about the use of corrison X on the 2.4 receivers?Just got a bottle of it after reading many reports about it!Never really had any problem with th old receivers but not sure on my spectrum ones if OK to use it?Building an electric and sounds like good idea on the ESC's??
Old 01-19-2009, 06:41 AM
jpg0529

I've been using CorrisonX on all my Spektrum/JR 2.4 receivers as soon as they come thru the door. I have about twenty flying at the moment and no issues at all. I just dunk them and let them drip dry.

Works for me. I totally immersed one several years on a SeawindEp and it survived.

Joe