Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

hangar 9 super cub on sea comander floats

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

hangar 9 super cub on sea comander floats

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 04:49 PM
hanko

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hangar 9 super cub on sea comander floats

will the sea comander floats fit on a H-9 super cub? Had the Big H9 cub on their crappy floats, which didnt work out too well. I have a chance to pick up a super cub, but i dont want it unless the 44 or 46 sea comander rigging will work. Also is there any other large ARF plane that someone would recomend that you can get with floats? I know KMP has the Beaver which I had last year, and it was a nightmare on there floats. The rigging was not ligned up into the slip stream and it was a poor handling airplane on floats
Old 03-05-2009, 11:14 PM
wildbills21

Default RE: hangar 9 super cub on sea comander floats

I do not now 100 % if the sea comander floats will fit a H9 1/4 scale cub with out any modifications. If you are willing to spend the amount of money they want for those floats than I am sure you could get someone to make them work for you. I do not mean that in a negative way. If you buy a set a floats that are not specifically designed for that specific airplane than some modifications will have to be made. I did buy all ARF stuff but now I build it all.

Wild Bill
Old 03-06-2009, 07:31 AM
hanko

What was your point of responding to my post? I ask if anybody knew if they would fit, not if they did'nt know.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:23 AM
wildbills21

My point is you could make them fit !!
Old 03-06-2009, 09:36 AM
wildbills21

Looking at the mounting kit they sell with the floats you could make them fit any plane you would care to put on floats. You must build the mounting system. The floats are an ARF but the mounting system is not. It looks pretty easy to construct what you would need for your H9 1/4 scale cub. You might even be able to use the mounts that came with the 1/4 scale H9 floats.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:56 AM
chistech

I am presently mounting old Balsa USA floats (45") to my H9 Super Cub. I built the old floats and modified them to take the H9 1/4 scale float mounting hardware. The front mounting lugs get mounted in the very front edge of the plywood landing gear mounting plate in the plane. The rear mounting lugs end up in the plain balsa of the bottom fuse. I will be making a plywood cross member for this area so the mounts have a solid base and will be epoxying it in. I believe you would have to do the same with any float system including the Sea Commanders. You will have to work a little at it if you install from the inside because of the servo tray and the perforated ply deck that is behind the servos. I will be trying to install the cross member from inside so I don't have to mess with the cloth covering. I will be taking pictures as I go and posting. My posts are current and in this forum. They are labeled "Old Balsa USA Floats". I will be completing the mounting system in the next few days and it should help you get the idea for yours. My 45" floats seem just about right but I would not go shorter. I would use the 46" SC's not the 44's. What matters in the mounting is that the step is about 1/2" to 1" behind the CG. Put the step in the right place, mark where the front mounts will attach, then figure the rears. One thing you will have to do is to flatten out the bottom wing strut mounts and mount them to the fuse. They presently mount to the aluminum landing gear which will no longer be there. I drilled holes larger than the screws through the aluminum gear so the struts can be removed when the land gear is on and you need to take the wings off for transport. I will take some additional pictures of this mod.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93020.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	1151425   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71504.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1151426   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51831.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1151427  
Old 03-06-2009, 10:42 PM
hanko

Thankyou for that info. I have heard that H9 has made there floats better from original.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:35 PM
Wyoming Cowboy
My Feedback: (13)

Would anyone by chance happen to have the manual for the H9 Super Cub?  I got one on here about a week ago and it came without a manual.  I looked online but couldn't find it.