Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Finish recommendations for Northstar

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Finish recommendations for Northstar

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:42 PM
SushiSeeker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finish recommendations for Northstar

I’ve seen some beautiful finish jobs on the various Northstar/Polaris threads and there are some folks that have built some really fine looking airplanes. Kudos.

One issue I have not seen discussed (much) on the other threads are the various covering options for this bird. I’m planning to do a build soon and was considering a ply bottom and sheeting/painting the wings since I will likely be flying off open water which can get a little choppy. So what coverings/finishes work, and what doesn’t for Northstars flying off water?
Old 05-10-2009, 09:35 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Finish recommendations for Northstar

In the instructions, they recommend fiberglassing the bottom of the fuse and NOT using regular covering because it's too weak to stand up to the pressure the water will put on it. I agree. When I built mine, I fiberglassed the bottom and I used 21st Century fabric on the wings and had no problems.

However, I later bought a Northstar at an auction which had Econocote and no fiberglass. After one landing, I blew a hole in the bottom of the fuse and put two tears in the covering.

So heed their advice. Either fiberglass the bottom, or add a layer of 1/16 ply to it, and use a strong covering at least on the bottom of the wings.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:38 AM
siddus74

I agree with Minnflyer, although I have never built and flown a northstar, film in water doesnt work that well and after half a season your looking at a recover . . . I will always use finishing epoxy and light weight cloth then sand a paint. The longivity as well as the strength is definately worth it, also it's so quick and easy!

Good luck.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:38 AM
jeffo
My Feedback: (68)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sushi,I prefer to ply bottom,I've done both,more durable.I cover mine in Solartex and hit it with a coat of clear Topflite aeresol.Minnflyer is spot on,it is all prefrence.-Jeffo
Old 05-11-2009, 07:30 AM
Chip_Mull
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try Fabric covering. It's tougher and waterproof.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:08 AM
Augie11

I'm pretty much with Minn. Plywood + fiberglas on the bottom, 21st Century fabric for the rest.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:17 AM
SushiSeeker

Thanks for the responses! A few follow-up questions.

I had thought about sheeting the bottom 1/2 of the wing and applying resin to the balsa but not using cloth. I would still use cloth on the fuse bottom. Is this overkill, too much weight with not enough added strength?

Also are you reinforcing the tip floats in any way or just covering them?

Thanks!

Conway
Old 05-11-2009, 11:35 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 8 year old N.S. has two layers of light glass on the bottom og the fuse and sponsons and is Monokoted. No problems and I've done many many verticle landings, high speed touch and goes, the works...