Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Widgeon "radial" drawings?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Widgeon "radial" drawings?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:54 AM
Avaiojet

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Widgeon "radial" drawings?

I've been just about everyplace one could go on line, looking for drawings of a particular Grumman Widgeon.

I have found two photos which I've posted below.

I'm not starting a new Widgeon Thread, because there's already one I'm active in. However, That Thread is currently idle and the information I need hasn't been provided in that Thread.

The Widgeon I have interest in is unusual, in that this aircraft has "radial" engines and radial cowlings.

I desperately need a 3-view drawing so I can determine the size, placement and shape of these radial cowlings and nacelles.

I'm hoping, possibly, a scale modeling enthusiasts may have just what I'm looking for?

I won't "guess" at the placement or shape of these cowlings and nacelles, so my project is on hold until I acquire drawings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Charles
www.cfcgraphics.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx69991.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1169721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50705.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	1169722  
Old 03-31-2009, 11:43 AM
ByLoudDesign

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Widgeon "radial" drawings?

Charles
Bob's Aircraft Documents has a couple listed. http://www.bobsairdoc.com/
Airliners.net has 105 photos.
http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...15&thumbnails=
Charlie
Old 03-31-2009, 08:15 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Here's what I found;
G-44A (widgeon) - Same as G-44 with revised hull lines affording a deep keel forward. Some re powered with Continental W-670 or Lycoming 6-435A. Total production, seventy six aircraft. 30 aircraft built by SCAN in France....

Only 55 of the original G-44's were built, so the "A" is more numerous....

hope this helps a bit.....

Old 04-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Avaiojet

Wayne,

Thanks for that info and the great photo.

Dead end though. [&o]
Old 04-01-2009, 02:05 PM
ByLoudDesign

Here is the FAA certification for it! It has some very good info, like control surface angles: aileron, flaps and etc.. The are also several other A/C designation for the Army and etc.. Searching these may help!
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/4c4120489ea07a1385256738005ac058/$FILE/a-734.pdf
Old 04-01-2009, 02:22 PM
ByLoudDesign

Here is a listing for it that I found doing a search for the "G-44" and "drawings" it is listed in Vol 44/4.
http://www.aeroknow.com/magazines/jaahs.htm
Old 04-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Avaiojet

Thanks guys,

You have been an absolute great help.

Charles

Old 04-03-2009, 07:50 PM
ScaleAero

We have begun CADing the Widgeon so laser cutting short kits will follow shortly. This will not alter Effinger's original plans however another sheet will be included showing not only the new three piece wing but a radial engined conversion.

The new sheets will show differential between round and one piece fiber glass oval cowl/nacelle. One piece design permits cut line to accommodate what ever power source front to rear dims are on whatever power will be used. I suspect, not as yet confirmed...that a round cowl will work very well with exsiting fiber glass.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM
ByLoudDesign

That is what the forum is for!!!! Glad to contribute! I am alwats looking for data and have discovered a few sites that can be used for better info the others.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Avaiojet

See Post Below!

Charles
Old 04-04-2009, 02:04 AM
ByLoudDesign

Here is my radial! That has the radial look for sure about 90% done with the design! 1:8 scale @ 133" wing.

Name:	Hf98154.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1172196  
Old 04-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Avaiojet

I asked once before about determining the size of a cowling based on the diameter of a radial engine. In the Widgeon's case, 45.75" for the P&W.

I have absolutely no idea how "tight" they would fabricate the fit of the cowling in relationship to the engine?

Anyone?

There's also the thing about placement? Would the Radial also be placed on the center line as was the Rangers?

3 blade props on the radial.

Charles

Name:	Wu62035.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1172279  
Old 04-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Avaiojet

We have begun CADing the Widgeon so laser cutting short kits will follow shortly. This will not alter Effinger's original plans however another sheet will be included showing not only the new three piece wing but a radial engined conversion.
Ed,

What a guy!

The radial thing is good news, at least to me. This must mean you have accurate measurements of the radial cowlings. Can't wait till you share those measurements with me and others in this Thread.

I've only been trying to obtain them and asked for them for some time now, as you probably know, with no results.

What source "are" you using, BTW, to determine the correct cowling diameter for any given scale? I'm sure it's a good one and accurate.

Fiberglass cowlings and nacelles? If it's 1/6 scale and "reasonably" accurate, I'll take a set or two!

My guess is, you must have find out what the exact cowling diameter measurement are on the actual aircraft?

I appreciate your efforts with the radial offering, but it appears as though I'm the only one interested in this particular look or aircraft. And only at 1/6 scale. Unless, is it catching on? A change in mind?

BTW. My gear will be 1/6 scale, and those interested in this scale and gear should contact me. I have progressed with the mechanical and hope to cast the parts. There has to be interest or the casting thing won't fly. Pun intended.

About those radial measurements? What have you got or have come up with?

Please Post these measurements in your next reply. I can't wait!

Charles