Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

SEA-PLANE : not TOO popular ?

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

SEA-PLANE : not TOO popular ?

Old 06-20-2003, 07:19 PM
Barrrick
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SEA-PLANE : not TOO popular ?

THIS IS JUST A COMMENTARY :
I "assembled" the H-9 Piper Cub 81" wingspan with the SAITO TWIN .60Four Stroke, put it on the SEACOMMANDER floats and flew it enough time to assure excellent performance...! Having done the package, including a Futaba system, the total expense was above 1100 dollars....this does not include any of the work, and the preparations to make it such a good and reliable flyer.
This plane has been up FOR SALE, for close to a year. There have been just two interested parties from out of town. The plane can be seen in this RCUniverse For Sale forum....
the corollary of this "COMMENTARY" is : where is all the interest claimed to exist for these Seaplanes ???
Consider that this package is offered for $ 900.00 and you get the complete radio FOR FREE....!
I reach the conclusion that water flying is NOT AS universally popular as it pretends to be .
no need to RESPOND......I have no use for FLAMES
RICK

PS ( ADDED COMMENTARY ON JUNE 21st - I HAVE READ WITH AMAZEMENT AND DISBELIEF about ten responses to this mild commentary !!!............not ONE of them has CORRECTLY INTERPRETED the true intent of this posting........Are we all using the same LANGUAGE ? .... are we all ON THE SAME PLANET ???
................the "only" reason for the commentary was to note that for an item not to sell ....... there must not be an excessively high or universal interest in water flying such as the "devotees" seem to believe..............! that's ALL
SHEEEEEEEEEEEESH !
Old 06-20-2003, 09:41 PM
Graeme Hogg

Default No need to respond????

Oh dear, is someone feeling a little ignored because nobody wants to play with his toy. Just because you don't like our game, doesn't mean it's no use to anyone, perhaps it's a little too difficult for you??
Old 06-20-2003, 09:45 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of us don't need additional radios and don't need twin cylinders to enjoy float flying. That said, there is definitely less float flying than off land, therefore a small market.

PS: I've got the boat.
Old 06-20-2003, 09:57 PM
Graeme Hogg

Default Too right mate

4*60, I couldn't agree more, boats and floats combined make for the most fun. I must just be a simple soul, but I love my Puppeteer on floats, no computer radio, singlr cylinder 4 stroke, and no composites involved. ahhh bliss!!!
Old 06-20-2003, 10:09 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default "I have no use for flames"

Indeed an interesting statement from someone who's only purpose in that post was to 'Flame' the activity most of us love so much.

"besides, you need to have a boat as well " Well now isn,t that clever you just now got that figured out?

Hey 4*60 if I ever get up to BC how about sharing your boat.

John
Old 06-20-2003, 10:27 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Absolutely. The boat is available and can be untied in minutes. Also in September, there is a gathering of 100+ Canadians and Americans down the road from here. We are getting organized now.
Old 06-20-2003, 10:52 PM
JohnBuckner

Default COOL

John
Old 06-20-2003, 11:16 PM
Gordo-ProBro
Banned

Hey, we don't need boats, fancy engines, ARFs or expensive radios! A SPAD flown off a pond with an old 40fp and foam floats, all built in an evening, That's my way to enjoy water flying. That's the beauty of this hobby, every one can choose his own path! The ugly part of this hobby is threads that are started by guys like this!!
Old 06-21-2003, 12:30 AM
JimCasey

Was it Abe Lincoln or Will Rogers who said "A man will generally be as happy as he decides to be"?
Barrick seems to have a problem with deciding to be happy, and I feel sad about that. Flying my floatplane in the morning will cheer me up, tho'.
Of course, I did not spend a bajillion dollars on my first seaplane, either. Still, if the set ain't sellin', sell the floats and put the wheels on the Cub and sell that separately. Maybe he better look at his marketing plan. EBAY has greater circulation than RCU.
Mr. Barrick, I hope you find some gratification. Good Luck to you.
Old 06-21-2003, 01:02 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

"assembled" the H-9 Piper Cub 81" wingspan with the SAITO TWIN .60Four Stroke, put it on the SEACOMMANDER floats and flew it enough time to assure excellent performance...!
A nice sounding package, but look at the alternatives that a potential buyer can get for that kind of money. Perhaps there are not enough discriminating buyers who appreciate the expensive equipement on a 40 size cub. You would probably be better off to part it out and sell the floats and radio separately...or maybe try ebay.

Good luck!
Old 06-21-2003, 06:30 AM
Grampaw

Hey Gordon, got any pics of your SPAD on floats? Would like to see what you're talking about.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:54 PM
IWC

Wher can I see photos and info regarding the 4-engine aircraft under johnbuckner name? Is this a 4-engine Sig?
Old 06-21-2003, 02:09 PM
GLG1811

Flew my GP Cub for the 1st time on 6-13-03 it was a blast ,haven't flown on land since. I have a 61 os in it has plenty of power. I think if you have 1,100 dollars in his plane , no wonder he can't afford a boat. They do have those cheap blow up boats, 2 or 3 man ones.
The other way to go get it is with a R.C. boat with a Hook on the back.
Anyway it was the most fun i've had in a long time in the R.C. thing, besides my heli.
Good luck to all the float flyers, Gary, Grassfield R.C. Mpls. Mn.
P.S. my Cub is just like Shobox's cub w/ the retracts that is on this site. He is in the same club. See Ya.
Old 06-21-2003, 09:26 PM
bruceisla

Just a short commentary on the "Commentary" that started this thread ....I am just happy that I have the time and money to spend on a hobby .... as opposed to wondering where my next meal is coming from. If I turn a plane into a "lawn dart", or fail to sell without taking a loss, its still a far cry from never being able to participate in something enjoyable.
Old 06-21-2003, 10:43 PM
JimCasey

>>>I am just happy that I have the time and money to spend on a hobby .... as opposed to wondering where my next meal is coming from.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	88271_5143.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	51159  
Old 06-22-2003, 02:08 AM
JohnBuckner

Default Quad Kaydet

IWC, hope this works its my first solo at posting a picture.

Name:	88311_860.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	51160  
Old 06-22-2003, 02:55 AM
JohnBuckner

Wow It worked

Yes IWC it is an eighteen year old Sig Cadet senior, Span increased to eighty five inches with large barn door ailerons Four Magnum .25's on underwing tubs, nine servos (Four mini's, four standards, one retract) and six ounce tanks. The rectangular areas on top of the wing are mid chord split spoilers which double the level attitude sink rate when deployed with power off. It is equipped with a night flight system that includes wingtip and tail color coded orientation lights and an internal yellow glowire system that glows the yellow area of the wings and fuselage.

I bashed it last year for the London Bridge float fly in AZ and the traditional Saturday nite float flight. Nearing completion they cancilled the event , but is back on for this year in November. To date 16 flights on wheels and couldn,t be happier. It is delightful to fly and even does nice little basic loops and rolls. So Far have had one loss of the left outboard (the worst one to lose) and twice with the right inboard and even with the left outboard out there was little trauma. There are no gyros.

I have the floats on the bench now and using hand cut white sheeted foam fourty four inches long and flat bottom with a single water rudder. The unfueled weight is 12.5 lbs. and have not flown it at nite yet but expect no problems. My neighbors however think me strange with that thing out there all lit up in the yard at midnight and me trucking up and down the street in my wheelchair checking all angles.

The best part of that airplane of course is the sound! unlike anything you,ve ever heard on a on a stick built .

Make the trek to the London Bridge float fly November 14,15,16 All new five star resort private beach. After last years disappointment they will be coming out of the woodwork this time.

John

Name:	88314_860.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	51161  
Old 06-22-2003, 04:33 PM
bruceisla

RE: the edited post and "Added Commentary": Why would you assume that because no-one wants your "pizza" (or any other product) that those same people don't like "pizza"? Restaurants go out of business all the time (price, taste, service, location, etc.) ....doesn't mean people don't like to eat ..... It also doesn't mean people aren't "interested" in your particular plane .... maybe there are similar planes that are just more "interesting". Sometimes "If you build it, they will come" just isn't true.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:39 PM
Graeme Hogg

Default Added Commentary

Hmmmm, looks as though our string initiator has seen the error of his ways and has tried to retract his inflammatory remarks. Perhaps he should consider the difficulty in interpretation of the written word in future, a common mistake which I'm sure we enlightened float fliers will forgive.
"there must not be an excessively high or universal interest in water flying such as the "devotees" seem to believe" or then again we may like to build our own......
Thank you for the diversion, and, as an english speaking resident of the planet earth (which you appear to doubt), I will take comfort in the responses to the initial post which underline my belief that those who can, do; and those who can't, make excuses.
Old 06-22-2003, 08:30 PM
bruceisla

Would an enlightened float flier be "enfloatened"?
Old 06-22-2003, 08:42 PM
JohnBuckner

Default Re: SEA-PLANE : not TOO popular ?

Originally posted by Barrrick
THIS IS JUST A COMMENTARY :
......I have no use for FLAMES
RICK
PS ( ADDED COMMENTARY ON JUNE 21st - I HAVE READ WITH AMAZEMENT AND Are we all using the same LANGUAGE ? .... are we all ON THE SAME PLANET ???
................the "only" reason for the commentary was to note that for an item not to sell ....... there must not be an excessively high or universal interest in water flying such as the "devotees" seem to believe..............! that's ALL
SHEEEEEEEEEEEESH !

No use for flames you say, although I can only just assume we we on the same planet and my language skills may be a bit lacking, that last latest statement is in fact just that, inflamatory!

I can,t recall saying or ever reading on any of these forums that there is an "excessively high or universal interest in water flying".

John
SHEEEEEEEEEEEESH right back atcha!
Old 06-22-2003, 08:53 PM
Graeme Hogg

yes, I like "enfloatened", or even "bouyant". Anything, as long as it's not "submerged"