Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Enough power?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Enough power?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 05:20 AM
Exile182

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enough power?

Hey

Ive been given this seaplane in trade with some builders paper, from a club mate. A brief run down, its called a shark, its built from plans, from a long gone member and handed down until i received it. Its never flown, never even had an engine in it, a wing span of 127cm (50 inches) we all assumed a 40 size engine was intended, but I had realized in my strip down of it (replacing covering, and some lightening holes) that the engine mount in it is one from OS for the .25 2 stroke. Im intending on making it electric, and my question is will these parts be powerful to break the water tension?

HIMARK 35mm OUTRUNNER BRUSHLESS MOTOR 990rpv
• Motor Dia: 35mm
• Shaft Dia: 5mm
• Prop: 9x4.5 - 12x6
• ESC: 45 amp
• Glow equiv: .32 - .40
• Voltage: 9.6 - 14.4
• 990RP/V

SKYBORNE 50 AMP SPEED CONTROLLER FOR NICAD AND LITHIUM BATTERIES 26.4 GRAM
• For aircraft use - programmable brake.
• 50A continuous current, 1.3KHz, 5v 3A BEC, 60-65A current limit
5-12cells NiCd or NiMH, 2-4 cells LiPo
• Low battery cutoff, safe start protection, programmable battery type setup, temperature cutoff, electric switch
• Size 35x18x10.7mm

3200mA 15C 11.1V LITHIUM POLYMER BATTERY PACK

heres some pics of it, 1 showing a boomerang trainer wing near it. All taken day I got it, its now 90% covered.

Thanks heaps
Old 08-23-2009, 06:09 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Enough power?

Well, there is always the 75 watts per pound guideline for sport flying, 100W/lb for spunky.

How much does it weigh? The 25 should fly a 4 lb airplane adequately, and a .40 would haul about 7 pounds without prob. Not 3D, but just pleasant sport flying.

Also, the photo looks like the left wing has more washout than the right.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:28 AM
Exile182

Yeah it looks like it in the pics, I have had it checked over quite a bit, and all checks out, the photo is very out of perspective, table is warped more in that then it looks in the photot, the weight of the thing with out anything in it, and with the original engine mount seen in pics (its now smaller and lighter) and before a small amount of lightening, it weighed around 1.2kg (2.64lb) and with a guessed mark if it was going to be glow or around the 2kg mark(4.4lb). The motor in my list is equivalent to a 40 size glow, give or take depending on battery and the like obviously.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:35 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Should work but I would get at least a 20C pack...
Old 08-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Exile182

Ok so I seem to be on the right track then, this thing I dont want to be a speedster, just something that flies gently, on an early morning fishing trip. With a loop or something thrown in maybe if i feel like it.

I have also found a 25c pack for a better price(Its only ment to be a cheap throw around).

thanks for the help