Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

NEW Float Design - What do you think?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

NEW Float Design - What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 12:32 PM
SeaPlaneSupply
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Float Design - What do you think?

Hi Guys... I have developed a new float design. It's a single center float with two sponson floats attached with 2 carbon fiber tubes. I mounted my Kangke Gee Bee 40 on a 34 " set, all up weight for the floats ready to bolt on is around 6oz! They are finished with light spackle and 1 coat of polyurethane paint. The video is the test flight which flew great but I needed more wing incidence, I had 1 degree which was not enough. You can see in the video it takes awhile to take off then it pops off the water. . I reworked it to 2 1/2 degrees and now it's perfect! The Gee Bee with a Norvel 40 can hover, knife edge, knife edge loop, invert flat spins all with floats on! Check out more on my web site www.seaplanesupply.com

Let me know what you think is it a winner?

http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/GEE-B...HT-ON-NEW-FL-2
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19632.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	1282700  
Old 09-26-2009, 06:05 PM
mintie

Default RE: NEW Float Design - What do you think?

Dont know that you can claim it as a new design. A single float and out riggers have been around a while.

.But they are very good on the water and I enjoy flying my plane with that set up.

There are a few flying boat designs set up like you have there.

Yes they could well be a winner...Keep up the good work.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21088.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	1282860  
Old 09-27-2009, 06:58 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I respectfully think Mintie missed the point. It's a new design that you are offering for sale.
The principles are proven, and the floats can be adapted to planes that might not conveniently accept conventional twin floats.
I looked at other pictures and think there is some elegant engineering there.

Maybe next time the "new design" can have concentric polymorphic proton impingement step design or anticontrabulation spray rails. ;-/
Old 09-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

You forgot the nano teflo-infusion matrix fractal coupling

If a float design can bring more variety of models to the water, have at it, and good luck!!!!
Old 09-27-2009, 03:49 PM
seaplane

I saw the setup at the Midwest Regional Float Fly and as a float maker myself, I was totally impressed. The plane handled exceptionally well on the water and in the air. I think Mark has engineered a winner!
Seaplane
Old 09-27-2009, 07:25 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Between Seaplane (Plane Fun Floats) and Mark (Seaplane supply) making floats for us, we are in good hands.
Both are fine gentlemen and both make top-quality products.

I continue to be both disheartened and astonished at the newbies who show up on this BBS, and say " I decided to go float flying and bought a set of BG Detergent bottle floats or Grape Pains Cinderblocks, and I am having all sorts of problems getting airborne".

Ralph, Mark , and I ( Your humble servant) are doing all we can do to save floatflying.

May I suggest to all who see this message: If you know somebody planning a seaplane over the winter, at least get them to read <some of> the articles in my website before they get a set of improperly-sized, overweight, poorly designed floats. I don't claim to be an expert, but I have assembled a lot of information from those who know whereof they speak.

I had a couple more paragraphs of rant here, but I edited them out. I would prefer to continue being helpful rather than being blacklisted.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:04 AM
mintie

Sorry guys if I missed your point..the design does work very well as I know from experence and experimenting.

I am also a keen water plane flyer,and before I even started my floats I spend heaps of time on these forums sorting all the info from guys like yourselves.

All my problems where solved even before I hit the water.

I to often feel the same as Jim casey,that if people just read these forums before they posted their[sometimes dumb ] questions then their problems would be all over ,as it is guys like yourselves that have sorted all the bugs out of float flying and posted the info for all to use.
enough said..have fun
Old 09-30-2009, 08:54 AM
SeaPlaneSupply
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for all the kind words, I think mintie just has the term Design & Style mixed up. It is not a new Style but it is a new Design. And all designs of this Style do not work well. I proved that! This is V5, the preceding 4 designs did not work well (2 never got off the water!). Jim, I loved the "set of BG Detergent bottle floats or Grape Pains Cinderblocks" reference, what about the "Aircored" cardboard floats? Then there was the custom made plastic downspouts, a classic! I started a new post for the "3D flying" guys to see if we can get them interested in float flying. Mark