Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Icon A5 Seaplane, amphibian, where can I get one?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Icon A5 Seaplane, amphibian, where can I get one?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 05:34 PM
gregusan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Icon A5 Seaplane, amphibian, where can I get one?

[link]http://www.zs-gl.com/1/en/productshow.asp?id=44&sortid=1[/link]

Looks like Guanli makes a nice looking RTF version of this new kit plane.

Anyone know where to get one in the US yet? Found only overseas sites with high shipping cost....

[link]http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/280558657-rc-airplane-RC-plane-ICON-A5-wholesalers.html[/link]

LET US KNOW AND POST HERE IF YOU HAVE THESE! Thanks.

Ps... I'm looking for any ARF, RTF, or already built and flown seaplanes, especially like a Polaris, Aqua Cat,
Seawind, Catalina, etc.. if you're thinking of listing yours, drop me a line.

Prefer smaller electrics.... and must ship or I can pick up in Vegas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52082.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	1359104  
Old 02-25-2010, 03:40 PM
RWeston

Default RE: Icon A5 Seaplane, amphibian, where can I get one?

What you have pictured there is not the Icon A5, despite what the kit manufacturer would have us believe.

I contacted the company, http://www.iconaircraft.com/ regarding the availabilty of drawings but was told that, at this point in their production schedule, they were reluctant to offer anything more than what can be downloaded from their website.

I too would love to build this aircraft - it's a beauty! - but the small 3-view they offer is just not enough info to make working drawings.

Let me know if you've found out anything more - I think it would make an excellent 1/4 scale aircraft.

Name:	Fc90270.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	537.4 KB
ID:	1386628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49340.jpg
Views:	2367
Size:	531.4 KB
ID:	1386629  
Old 02-26-2010, 11:37 AM
hirschr

I just ordered one from Nitro Planes - http://www.nitroplanes.com/4chguica5elr.html

I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:35 PM
RWeston

I am curious - so keep me posted and put up some photos as the project goes along.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:24 PM
gregusan
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks.. Yes, let us know how you like it.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:29 AM
hirschr

It arrived yesterday! No pics yet, and I haven't put it together. But I can say with certainty that, "This seaplane is ready to fly, right out of the box, with little assembly." and "Ready to fly in minutes " is a bit of a stretch. I would estimate 1.5 - 2 hours assembly time. Should have some pics and a flight report over the weekend.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:41 AM
RWeston

Well.... 1.5 to 2 hours is certainly a heck of a lot quicker than my scratch-building! hope it goes well! I'll be looking forward to the pics.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:56 AM
mintie

the only way to get a true one is build it like the guy has.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1199920
Old 03-06-2010, 09:24 AM
RWeston

That is indeed a very realistic model, of the Icon A5, especially without the use of any accurate drawings!
ORIGINAL: mintie

the only way to get a true one is build it like the guy has.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1199920
Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM
SkyPilot321
My Feedback: (19)

ANYUPDATESONTHEA5 ???
Old 03-29-2010, 06:10 PM
RWeston

"All's quiet on the 'Weston' Front" - pun intended. Still waiting to here from 'hirschr'.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:04 PM
hirschr

Agreed mintie, that is a true model of the A5 and it looks great!

Sorry for the late report, I've had a lot of business travel lately and not much time to play... I did finally have a chance to assemble and fly the Guanli A5. Overall the instructions are pretty clear, but they leave out a few details here and there. I made the mistake of using the supplied glue (some sort of foam safe CA) to glue the aleron servos in place. The instuction say to screw them in but there is nothing to screw to - anyway bad idea! The glue wicked into the servo case and stuck a few gears... I also was a little confused on the prefered method of installing the rudder servo horn, it came with a backing plate that slides over the horn stem, but the rudder is too thick to use it. A generous amount of glue seems to hold the horn just fine. The plane needed a little bit of nose weight - and a mod to the battery compartment to allow the battery to slide all the way foward - to balance at the recomended 55 mm from the LE. I flew the maiden from a soccer field with out the water rudder installed, I also left off the wing tip floats as the real plane doesn't use them. It has plenty of power to get up off the grass but feels a little "twitchy" at tends to pitch hunt at full throttle. Around 1/2 throttle is comfortable flight, but the alerons feel mushy and slow to to respond, rudder is required for coordinated turns (this is my first pusher, so maybe that is normal). The range on the radio is suspect, my maiden ended on the far end of the field after I either dumb thumbed it or lost range. Either way I ended up with an uncontrolable spin and nosed it in hard from about 30 ft. The airframe is tough, I figured I was in for a total, but other than the battery sliding out of the holder and popping off the canopy it was completley intact! The second flight (a few days later) was a near identical repeat of the first, this time post crash all the servos were twitching. That was enough proof for me, I replaced the supplied reciever with one of my own Hitec supreme 7 ch receivers and used my Futable 6ex transmitter with a little rudder mixing. I also increased the nose weight a tad to get a bit of a nose down attitude at the 55mm balance point. Flight three was better that the first two, still off of grass though, but the new radio and rudder mixing helped. Towards the end of flight three I took her up high to get a feel for low speed near stall handling, as soon as she stalled she went into the now familar death spiral, I thought I had enough altitude to recover, but I was wrong! Again in the grass nose first, this time the carbon fiber spar gave out, the plastic clevis used in the wing strut broke and the nose spit a little at the seam. I am impressed with the durability, dissapointed with the radio,and mistified by the tendancy to spin. Next flight will be off the water with just a tad more nose weight and hopefully some pics to post.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:34 PM
RWeston

Well, if nothing else, you ARE persistent! I think I would have packed it in after that third crash, but I'll be curious to hear about your flight off the water.

Hope it goes well!
Old 05-03-2010, 10:58 AM
texatoysplusjoe

HIRSCHR Thank you for the info on the Icon A5. I am a novice senior citizen & considering getting one. Have a 10 acre lake(pond) 60' out my back door. Would appreciate all info you or any other member can give me. My son will be sending me a simulator & a "simple" ERC w/ 4 channel to get my feet "wet".
Old 05-03-2010, 09:44 PM
hirschr

Tex,

An RC sim is a good place to start. The ICON isn't the best "first" plane, but it is durable, and an inexpensive start. I tried mine off water the other day but never got it airborne, the hull design is two molded halves glued together, off the shelf it will take water. Mine just scooted along until it was about half full... I have since sealed all the seams, and will try again. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2010, 08:34 AM
texatoysplusjoe

The video on Nitroplanes shows it taking some hits on frozen snow. With your experiences so far it seems 1 thing for sure,it can take a beating. What is the best glue to use on these foamies? Thank you Tex
Old 05-05-2010, 08:28 AM
hirschr

I used the included foam safe CA, a hot glue gun, and gorilla glue. All seemed to work well.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:17 PM
kauaiduck

Not a good plane. Hard time taking off from water, wanted to loop (tail heavy) not controllable esp. ailerons & rudder.
Radion seemed to die 100 yards out and death spiral crash.
Good motor and nice tough foam though.
Would not recommend this plane.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:33 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much better Icon models out there these days than the one Nitroplanes is selling. I recently bought one of the larger 1.8 meter Icon A5 models from the kit company in
China. Nice! 70" span, EPO foam, flaps and best of all, working retracts included. The retracts are a little whimpy but should serve the purpose of taxing down a boat ramp into the water, the retracting the gear for a water takeoff and then later reversing the process. NFD Hobby/DZ Hobby also has a much better looking small one, to match the large one.

Hobbyking is offering it with a motor and all needed servos except for the flap servos, but it really needs a correct retract servo and not the one HK offers. Pice is 175 or so, plus shipping. ETM has a PnP version that is a lot more expensive.

Video of the large one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMcIx6zcA7c&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daEMt...layer_embedded
Old 06-12-2011, 02:28 PM
Thomas B

Have been enjoying my 70" Icon A5 model this year....flies GREAT!

Name:	Rp42568.jpg
Views:	1674
Size:	149.6 KB
ID:	1622334  
Old 06-12-2011, 04:42 PM
RWeston

That's a really good looking Icon A5 you have there! Mine is still on the drawing board and it may actually get built someday, but maybe I should consider buying the one you're flying. Scale wise it appears to be fairly accurate! Any helpful thoughts if I decide to get that one?

Thanks,
Dick
Old 06-14-2011, 08:57 AM
Thomas B

ORIGINAL: RWeston

That's a really good looking Icon A5 you have there! Mine is still on the drawing board and it may actually get built someday, but maybe I should consider buying the one you're flying. Scale wise it appears to be fairly accurate! Any helpful thoughts if I decide to get that one?

Thanks,
Dick

There is an extensive discussion thread with lots of practical expereince and solutions to minor issues concerning the big Icon foamy over on RC Groups, in the Waterplanes forum.....let me know if you have any trouble finding it.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:09 AM
RWeston

Thanks! I found it.

Dick
Old 06-24-2011, 05:01 PM
vansenair

Hi guys, I have begun to build icona5 1 / 6 scale 1.7 m Wingspan, my previous experience was not good, with osprey2. I have to make a decision and I am in doubt. which profile to use? the osprey2, had 23012 airfoil, too speedy for over 8 lbs.
I'm looking for a flight sport.
to take off and landing slowers with flaps, this model will have around 6 Lbs, AX .55 , pusher Prop 11x6.
If anybody interested, i can sen the first scratchs in cad.

best regards
Ricardo
Old 06-24-2011, 05:58 PM
RWeston

Hi Ricardo - I would be interested in seeing your CADs! What are you using for your original sources of the Icon-A5?

Dick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.