Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Fried my ESC!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Fried my ESC!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 07:38 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried my ESC!!!

Hi;Just asking for info!Dumped my GP PBYgot the esc ec wet.First time hadn't used corrison X in rec,but after through drying it worked OK had it on ESC's though all was well but second time did the Tx too and all seemed well after it sat and dried for a bit,then after couple days went tocheck it before going out again and one went up in smoke??Kind of worries me as have been thinking of switching more to elect on the seaplanes but can't afford to have to replace esc every time I dumb thumb it!!As for the PBY think I see my error now and hope no further problem with it bounced and rolled over on landing just need to improve my technique there,used to 6'-7' heavier planes this thing is like a feather!!Was just going to try elect on a 7'PBY but now wondering about the idea although would be much easier to keep those ESC dry as more room for them and hopefully it would stay upright easier!Doesn't seem to bother the Rec's.Even without the Corrison X have usually survived dunkings well!Any thoughts?Thanks!!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:48 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Fried my ESC!!!

Put the ESC and the receiver in ballons and use a twist tie to close it.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Next time you get either wet, try putting them in a sealed bag, or Jar with uncooked rice (I use a Tupperware box) , the rice believe it or not will pull the moisture out of the electronics.

Sounds like you put the ESC away while it was still a little wet inside,,, it continued to corrode inside,, corrosion shorted something when you juiced it back up.

Also, I always will take the electronics out of the case to dry if I can,,, in the rice,, I've brought back dead cell phones this way too

good luck
Old 02-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Crash-RCU

Here is an other product that claims to protect electronics from water. Corrosion Block at http://www.nocorrosion.com I have not tried this product but when the weather gets a little warmer I am going to call the company and probaly try it out. It is not suppose to be as messy as Corrosion X.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:56 PM
moodier

Crash:Hi;that stuf sounds intreresting suppose as they say there is a sucker born every minute!I have been useing Corrison X no complaints escept as I reported burned up a ESC after getting it wet.The othere one and Rec seem Ok and it had surviced earlier dunkng too!Thing is was about read to install electrics on my 7'PBY but now wonder if worth it or just stick to glow.Getting sick of keeping them running especially on twins!Have 3 sitting there without motors they are land ones not as much problem there also waiting for a Candaire too!Need to lick this problem first.SUppose best idea is don't dump them in the lake!!Really appreciatte the feedback!!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 12:32 AM
Crash-RCU

Moodier, I have also burned up a few ESC by dunking them even after spraying them with corrosion x. I just got done soaking one submerged for 2 days while I finished up the plane. hopfully that will do the trick. I think I am going to call Corrosion Block tomorrow and talk to someone there about useing it on ESCs then probably order some. I think it might penaterate beter than corroiun x as it is a thinner product and can get into the little nooks and crannies better.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:14 AM
moodier

Crash!Sounds worth a try!I had soaked mine in X and was disapointed to have that happen had hoped would be enough.But looks like this only comes in spray bottle?The other I was able to get squirt bottle so could just pour into cup and soak that way.Looks like this is only in the spray type can?Had taken the cover off ESC to allow better coverage too!So far my receivers have survived even the 2.4 but then again they survived before X too! Used to wrap rec in sandwitch bags but they still seemed to end up damp, hard to seal all those wires!Hope you get some good news from them!!There add doesn't refer to the idea of putting the electronics under water to soak as while you wait for rescue of your plane or wait for it to drift in!!!! I wonder what those marine ESC's are that Hobbycity sells they are more expensive but could they be water resistant ,and I have no idea what some of the info they supply means?Good luck!!Anxious to here what they have to say!!!!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:27 AM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: moodier
I wonder what those marine ESC's are that Hobbycity sells they are more expensive but could they be water resistant
I thought those were all the water cooled type, those will burn up without cooling,,

there are a few water proof ESC made for cars/trucks, I think traxxas has a couple cars/trucks the claim to be water proof

Here ya go, they have a lifetime warranty too
http://www.traxxas.com/products/acce...ies_xl5_wp.htm

good luck
Old 02-08-2010, 08:42 AM
moodier

Thanks:Just went and looked at it.BUT on the voltage says up to 9.6 on electrics we are running well over that might be a problem!Must be new item as price say TBD?The idea sounds wonderful though.New to this electric and much don't understand about it!!Guess the water cooling wouldn't be to good on a plane??Thanks for the info!!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 AM
scale only 4 me

Sorry, I'm no Elec expert,, but they do have a brushless version too, higher Voltage

go to http://www.amainhobbies.com/ and search "waterproof" there are more that may work for you, servos too
Old 02-08-2010, 09:25 AM
moodier

Thanks:At least gives me a whole new direction to look in!DOn't like the price, not sure what the reverse feature is or how it would affect planes?But is a good idea to look into!Bob
Old 02-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Crash-RCU

I just got off the phone with the gentleman from Corrosion Block and it sounds like this product will do the trick. There is no funky smell like Corrosion X and it won't stain things if you drip some on to things. Was told that it has a creeping action so it will get into all the tight spots even with the shrink wrap left on. I am going to get a 4oz can of the pump action spray so I can empty it in to a small container to soak ESC overnight. I was told this stuff sheds the water away from it and if it did not work for this application he would refund my money, can't ask for much more than that. I don't think the arrowsol spray would work very good as it foams, and the pump can is liquid
Old 02-09-2010, 04:44 PM
moodier

Hi Crash!SOunds like worth a try too!Where did you call and who did you talk to.Maybe will give him a ring too and order some sounds like good idea getting the small squirt bottle to start with!!Thanks BOB
Old 02-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Crash-RCU

Moodier, I just called the number at the bottom of the website home page under got questions. That 4oz can is basicallya squirt bottle as the top is just a pump mechanism but the top doesn't come off so you have to pump it out into a container. Just found the number on a piece of scrape paper in front of me 1-708-474-3739 don't remember his name but he was nice enough to talk to, and answered all my questions. There hours are 8 am to 5 pm centeral time.