Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Balancing

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:44 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Balancing

Hi All,

This is my first attempt at flying off water. I took my E-fite Apprentice and have installed the floats. I'm curious about balancing a plane with floats. On all my land planes I balance just a tad nose heavy. This works fine for land planes, but does it hold true for float planes. Seams to me that a float plane might not like nose heavy because it wants to keep the front of the floats up. What do you guys do.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2010, 08:52 PM
nascarwings

Default RE: Balancing

keep it nose heavy for sure....not sure if you did this or not, make sure your step on the float is at your C.G...
Old 05-07-2010, 09:04 PM
jtiller
My Feedback: (21)

lots of float planes need a little weight in on the tips of the floats. The CG should at least be where it is on the plane without the floats or even little forward of that.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:17 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep thr CG the same, but add whatever weight is needed to the floats, not the plane. This way, any time you switch between wheels and floats the CG will remain the same
Old 05-09-2010, 06:03 PM
wetbird
My Feedback: (3)

For what it's worth, the wing incidents from the floats should be about  1.5 or 2 degrees up from the floats or the plane won't want to leave the water. If when you try taking off and you see water coming up over the float tips, the incidents between the floats & wing are to close to one another. Add some shims under the forward strut and try it again. You shouldn't have to add much elevator to get off the water. You'll enjoy float flying.
Gerry