Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

SEAPLANE RACING

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

SEAPLANE RACING

Old 05-18-2010, 08:55 PM
cpt nj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SEAPLANE RACING

Just for the halibut does any body know if R/C float plane racing exist here in the good ol USA?
Old 05-18-2010, 09:25 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: SEAPLANE RACING

That would be beyond cool
Old 05-18-2010, 10:17 PM
hugho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Several years ago,circa 1995-2001, there was the Schneider Cup reenactment at Lake Perris and Lake Elsinore, here in Southern Calif. It was for quarter scale models of the Schneider Cup racers that raced in the English Channel in the the early twenties. Finally died for lack of participation. Too bad, because it was a lot of fun.

(Trivia, the Italian Macchi set a record of 0ver 430 mph in 1930, that still stands for a prop seaplane).

HughO
Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 PM
scale only 4 me

I forgot about that, I was in socal at the time, One of the guys that would hit the Casitas and the Santa Barbara float flys had a big Macchi he'd bring out.
I can't remember why we never drove out to watch those demos, They didn't do it that many years did they?,, Just one or two??

If they'd tried a 60 size class, it might have caught on,, A bunch of us who raced Quickies and Warbirds back then also were big into float planes.
A buddy in the group had one of those Stream Schneider Sport kits,, those were nice planes

Tough to organize any sort of racing though,,, build it and they will come??
Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 PM
SeahawkBG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys,

in Bulgaria /Đ•urope/ every year from 2007 on the Tournament "Nessebar Seaplanes Model Cup" we make seaplane racing.
It is very cool !

http://rc-bulgaria.com/index.php?topic=761.0

Old 05-19-2010, 08:45 PM
hugho

scale only 4 me,

That was probably my plane, since I was the only one that used to fly the Macchi at Casitas or Cachuma.

HughO
Old 05-19-2010, 08:47 PM
hugho

HughO's Macchi
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16924.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	487.4 KB
ID:	1439031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kg14991.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	1439032  
Old 05-19-2010, 10:31 PM
scale only 4 me

ORIGINAL: hugho

scale only 4 me,

That was probably my plane, since I was the only one that used to fly the Macchi at Casitas or Cachuma.

HughO
Yep,not to many of those around
Take a look at my gallery,,maybe you remember me too
Old 05-19-2010, 11:51 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

A buddy in the group had one of those Stream Schneider Sport kits,, those were nice planes

I love my Stream Schneider Sport too.

John

Name:	Da83549.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	301.9 KB
ID:	1439123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cw63335.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	336.2 KB
ID:	1439124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vx47125.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	1439125  
Old 05-20-2010, 01:23 PM
cpt nj

Hey john shes real nice , I take it shes from plans?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:53 PM
JohnBuckner

Thanks NJ. I rebuilt, restored her from a wreak that was originally built from the Stream Kit.

It was on the water for some years at the london Bridge float fly but its difficult for me to get to the water anymore in my wheelchair so only float fly at non fly in events so there is no pressure to get near and clear from the station each flight.

Have flown on non scale like wheels a lot and its great fun with an OS 61FX. The last picture is another Schneider sport from Laughlin that flys with me sometimes both on and off the water.

One of our club members has two partially completed Schneider Sports complete with the original fiberglass floats and I know he will never complete either. Someday I will talk him into selling them I hope.

John

Name:	Mk27563.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	1439648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59096.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	1439649   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zt53451.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	1439650   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eg78768.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	1439651   Click image for larger version

Name:	My14752.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	258.3 KB
ID:	1439652  
Old 05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
cpt nj

Hey Dok , I'm wondering what do you use for pylons? I'm guessing ballons or maybe landmarks?
Old 05-21-2010, 09:37 AM
cpt nj

Hello John love the pictures, especially the rebuild with the hammer in the background. ha ha ha ! I remember my parents took me to visit the Grand canyon in 1980 we made a stop at lake Havasu to see the London bridge, there wasn't much there at the time. I'll bet you can pretty much fly year round if you wanted.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:57 PM
old bird

DOK, Please tell us more about the seaplane racing in Bulgaria. The pictures are very interesting. Do you use a flying start or a standing start, launched from the piers I see in the photos? Is that the old Seamaster I see there near the Podium? Tell me if the Seamaster is a winning airplane in your races in Bulgaria. What engines are allowed, and do you have more than one class?

Best regards from Reno Nevada, USA. old bird.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:08 PM
SeahawkBG

ORIGINAL: old bird

DOK, Please tell us more about the seaplane racing in Bulgaria. The pictures are very interesting. Do you use a flying start or a standing start, launched from the piers I see in the photos? Is that the old Seamaster I see there near the Podium? Tell me if the Seamaster is a winning airplane in your races in Bulgaria. What engines are allowed, and do you have more than one class?

Best regards from Reno Nevada, USA. old bird.
Hi all.
We use 3 float buoyes with 6 meter flagstaff . Flying field is the same as FAI rules,but the judges are on the coast.The Start is from the podium to first pylone direction. The Seanaster have 10 ccm engine and it is the one from the winners.Im the tournamen Nessebar Seaplanes Model Cup five classes : F3A-W.F4C-W.F3C-W.F5D-W.

Name:	qo38676.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	1443409  
Old 05-27-2010, 03:25 PM
JohnBuckner

Thank you Seahawk thats very interesting and would love to see some real float pylon racing occur in this country, Something I don,t think has occurred with most efforts in the past really just being demonstrations.

Its also interesting that you appear to use the off course judging positions for three pole that we were forced into a few years back when all forms of pylon were required to use off course judges two or three pole.

What your drawing did not show is the position of the pilots and I am really curious about that?

John
Old 05-27-2010, 03:42 PM
scale only 4 me

John,
I'd bet if it was offered as let's say a demo race at one of the biggest float flys west of the Rockies it may create some interest

Same course as Seahawk laid out, but with "Club 40" pylon planes, I'd bet dozens would put floats on those pylon pounders
Old 05-27-2010, 04:45 PM
JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: scale only 4 me

John,
I'd bet if it was offered as let's say a demo race at one of the biggest float flys west of the Rockies it may create some interest

Same course as Seahawk laid out, but with ''Club 40'' pylon planes, I'd bet dozens would put floats on those pylon pounders

Absolutely and we are groving the same course

The problem in the past is two fold i.e. The scale purist and the giant scale purists. If they are left in cfharge then its unlikely there will ever be a real racing event. First the scale purists will insist of some sort of schnieder racer which encompasses a hugh range from lethargic hugh biplanes to the the stealthy Macchi's, Supermarines and so forth. Going that route will require multiple classes with very few entrys and the almost certain degeneration of the race into a display.

The giant scale route is certain to limit entry so there will only be a few and the race agine just a display.

There is no reason at all that a viable sport float pylon event/s could be worked out using inexpensive smaller airplanes and without strick adherance to a scale dress code.

It only takes a few movers and shakers to make it happen and could enjoy just as much success the successful warbird racing events and the club forty format.

John
Old 05-27-2010, 05:10 PM
scale only 4 me

Easy solution,,, Scale class + Club 40 class

A man can have a dream,,, right?
Old 05-27-2010, 07:17 PM
JohnBuckner

I think trying to initiate a totally new form of pylon in this country it would be a bad idea to start with multiple classes. You have to start somewhere and develop your competitor base first and that will be the number one hurdle so you do not want to be diluting that base before you even get started.

Far better to intially start from a simple inexpensive format and the RC Pro Club 40 works then so be it use those. I would speculate that using the same rules almost the same but allow for creativity in the float design/mounting. There are many options there enough to keep the fellows talking for days, Single float, twin floats, triple floats and smaller displacement floatssure why not.

I feel excessive emphasis on scale will surely kill it before it ever gets started as well as pushing for giant scale

Actually excessive emphasis on scale is what killed the old SWRA (Scale Warbird Racing Association) It did have a good run for I think about thirteen years but eventually there was just to much in fighting.

The RC Pro warbird racing got its start at Speedworld out of the ashes of the old SWRA and its done very well indeed by getting rid of the scale judgeing which choked it to death before.

I have not been involved with any of the Club forty racing but beleve its doing very well with sensible rules and that is all that is needed for a really successful float pylon class in this country and that would be wonderful.

Anyway think you for keeping the fires stirred up[8D]

John
Old 05-28-2010, 06:43 AM
scale only 4 me

John,
We were racing warbirds at the Basin before you Speedworld guys started
You all took it to the next level, that's for sure,, I still don't understand all those rules

Back in those years I came out and raced quickie @ speedworld a few times, I was one of the Basin Boys at the time, took some hardware home a couple times

A cheap easy club 40 (or Seamaster Class) would be the way to start, Same reason it's gaining popularity on land would aply to the float racing,, Affordability. Very few people are willing to risk a expensive scale plane racing. An under $100 arf is the way to go. If that get enough people fired up,, then grow a scale class for plane like your Schneider Sport type. Giant scale "scale racing" planes??? just too few willing to build/race to make that class work ever I hate to say.

There is a local "float fly only" club out here I'm going to join, the small lake they fly from would be perfect for this sort of thing.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:15 PM
SeahawkBG

John.
I am haapy because you like it.The pilots are in the " Timer/Lap Counter" рoint.
http://rc-bulgaria.com/index.php?topic=763.0

Name:	Rp43205.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	1443942  
Old 05-30-2010, 12:43 PM
JohnBuckner

My apollogies Dok and Scale Only for not getting back right away. Yes Dok that answers the question and seems like a good place for the pilots, thank you.

John
Old 05-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Lnewqban

ORIGINAL: SeahawkBG
Hi all.
We use 3 float buoyes with 6 meter flagstaff . Flying field is the same as FAI rules,but the judges are on the coast.The Start is from the podium to first pylone direction. The Seanaster have 10 ccm engine and it is the one from the winners.Im the tournamen Nessebar Seaplanes Model Cup five classes : F3A-W.F4C-W.F3C-W.F5D-W.
Great pictures, SeahawkBG!.........Thanks

10 c.c. engines = 0.61 cu.in.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:40 PM
cpt nj

would you have more specs on your bouyed pylons ?, Iv'e got some ideas of using a coffee can filled with cement with a big eye screw at the top for the anchor.maybe some pvc with one of those long pool toys you see made of foam. not sure this would be bouyant enough. what do you guys got ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.